The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sentinel Nodes

Forums General Melanoma Community Sentinel Nodes

Participant

Did your surgeon remove all nodes that lit up during the lymph node mapping prior to surgery? I had my mapping done just before surgery and out of the 5 that lit if he only took 2….I'm having a hard time understanding why he wouldn't have just taken all 5?? 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        MoiraM
        Participant

I look at it like this…

The dye is injected near the melanoma and it starts draining though your lymphatic system, along with the lymphatic fluid. They are only interesting in sampling the first lymph node it reaches – this is the sentinel node. Sometimes the lymph drains by more than one route, so there is more than one 'first' or sentinel node.

The dye will go on, lighting up more and more lymph nodes until it is too dilute to detect.

They won't want to take away any more nodes than is necessary.

MoiraM
          Participant

I look at it like this…

The dye is injected near the melanoma and it starts draining though your lymphatic system, along with the lymphatic fluid. They are only interesting in sampling the first lymph node it reaches – this is the sentinel node. Sometimes the lymph drains by more than one route, so there is more than one 'first' or sentinel node.

The dye will go on, lighting up more and more lymph nodes until it is too dilute to detect.

MoiraM
            Participant

I look at it like this…

imgonnabeatthis
              Participant

I just had lymph node surdery last week.  Two lit up, but they only took one, the sentinel node.  They explained it to me that the only way any cancer could get to the other nodes would be thru the sentinel node, therefore if the sentinel node is clean, the others are as well.

Matt

imgonnabeatthis
                Participant

I just had lymph node surdery last week.  Two lit up, but they only took one, the sentinel node.  They explained it to me that the only way any cancer could get to the other nodes would be thru the sentinel node, therefore if the sentinel node is clean, the others are as well.

Matt

imgonnabeatthis
                  Participant

Matt

KMick
                    Participant

My surgeon took three however there were more that "lit" up. He felt that the additional nodes that lit up would have gone through the sentinel node so left them in place.  Told me that if the nodes they took ended up positive for melanoma then they would take all in the groin and pelvis nodes later with dismal results of healing for my foot.  Yikes!  Thankfully the nods they took were negative.  Still NED since 2/2013!

KMick
                      Participant

My surgeon took three however there were more that "lit" up. He felt that the additional nodes that lit up would have gone through the sentinel node so left them in place.  Told me that if the nodes they took ended up positive for melanoma then they would take all in the groin and pelvis nodes later with dismal results of healing for my foot.  Yikes!  Thankfully the nods they took were negative.  Still NED since 2/2013!

KMick
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics