The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

seeking feedback on GVAX trials

Forums General Melanoma Community seeking feedback on GVAX trials

Participant

Just wondering if anyone has experience with GM-CSF SECRETING ALLOGENEIC MELANOMA VACCINE (MELANOMA GVAX) trials? This seems to be the only treatment option that fits  – a melanoma without juncture on the skin, possibly (probably?) primary dermal, that was about 9mm thick, fully excised and no spread to the sentinel nodes, no evidence of spread on PET/CT scan.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with GM-CSF SECRETING ALLOGENEIC MELANOMA VACCINE (MELANOMA GVAX) trials? This seems to be the only treatment option that fits  – a melanoma without juncture on the skin, possibly (probably?) primary dermal, that was about 9mm thick, fully excised and no spread to the sentinel nodes, no evidence of spread on PET/CT scan. No one has yet agreed on a stage because it never showed up on the outside of the skin and they can't do the depth or thickness scales properly. The concern is the size – it was pretty thick, even if it couldn't be measured. 

If anyone has any experience with a case like this, or with the vaccine trials, please respond. Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

When you had your wide excision did they also test your sentinal node?   If this trial is what I'm thinking is only for those who have tumors present and this is injected into the tumor.  I thought it was oncovax vs gmcsf.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

When you had your wide excision did they also test your sentinal node?   If this trial is what I'm thinking is only for those who have tumors present and this is injected into the tumor.  I thought it was oncovax vs gmcsf.

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

Linny
              Participant

Is this the trial that's going on at Johns Hopkins? If so, you might want to contact them about it.

I'm being seen at Johns Hopkins and am on their MAGE vaccine trial. So far, so good. I am getting a reaction after my injection that's consistent with the reported side effects. My primary symptoms have been fatigue and occasional nausea. It all dissipates in about 24-48 hours.

hbecker
                  Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Linny and Linda. We have an appointment at Hopkins in a few weeks. The sentinel node biopsy showed no spread, so myt husband is NED at the moment. Don't know whether he will enter the trial but just wanted to know the downside.

Linny
                    Participant

Glad to hear that your hubby is NED!

Have you seen this information on GVAX yet? It  gives you a little more information about it than the Hopkins web site does.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01435499

I'm assuming that he'll be seeing Dr. Scharfmann that day. He's very laid back, which I like. I'm not familiar with the symptoms you're describing but it's still possible that there may be other treatment options for him besides that trial. If he opts for the trial, he'll probably be going to the Kimmel Center in downtown Baltimore on Tuesdays for his injections.

Linny
                      Participant

Have you seen this information on GVAX yet? It  gives you a little more information about it than the Hopkins web site does.

I'm assuming that he'll be seeing Dr. Scharfmann that day. He's very laid back, which I like. I'm not familiar with the symptoms you're describing but it's still possible that there may be other treatment options for him besides that trial. If he opts for the trial, he'll probably be going to the Kimmel Center in downtown Baltimore on Tuesdays for his injections.

Linny
                        Participant

hbecker
                          Participant

Linny,

Thanks for sending the link – that page definitely had more information than I had seen previously. Dr. Sharfman mentioned the study when we met with him before the surgery.

The question will probably be the staging – but I'm guessing that part will be OK because of the size of the tumor. The docs here in DC have been calling it a "melanoma in situ" which it seems would mean Stage 0. But the thing that was removed (which we thought was a sebaceous cyst) was much bigger than 4mm, so that seems to indicate Stage II.

So now we are just waiting for the next appointment with Dr. Sharfman, which isn't for another three weeks. One thing this has taught me is to be patient. That never was my long suit!

Stay well and NED – I'll be thinking of you in late August!

hbecker
                            Participant

Linny,

Thanks for sending the link – that page definitely had more information than I had seen previously. Dr. Sharfman mentioned the study when we met with him before the surgery.

The question will probably be the staging – but I'm guessing that part will be OK because of the size of the tumor. The docs here in DC have been calling it a "melanoma in situ" which it seems would mean Stage 0. But the thing that was removed (which we thought was a sebaceous cyst) was much bigger than 4mm, so that seems to indicate Stage II.

So now we are just waiting for the next appointment with Dr. Sharfman, which isn't for another three weeks. One thing this has taught me is to be patient. That never was my long suit!

hbecker
                              Participant

Linny,

Linny
                                Participant

I'm sure Scharfmann should have all the answers for you regarding the staging by the time your appointment comes around in three weeks.  Think positive things: your husband had clean scans and he's NED. Scharfmann's job will be to make sure he stays that way.

Maybe we'll run into each other at Kimmel one of these days.

You two did the right thing by heading to a melanoma clinic after the initial diagnosis.

Linny
                                  Participant

I'm sure Scharfmann should have all the answers for you regarding the staging by the time your appointment comes around in three weeks.  Think positive things: your husband had clean scans and he's NED. Scharfmann's job will be to make sure he stays that way.

You two did the right thing by heading to a melanoma clinic after the initial diagnosis.

Linny
                                    Participant

hbecker
                                      Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Linny and Linda. We have an appointment at Hopkins in a few weeks. The sentinel node biopsy showed no spread, so myt husband is NED at the moment. Don't know whether he will enter the trial but just wanted to know the downside.

hbecker
                                        Participant

Linny
                                        Participant

Is this the trial that's going on at Johns Hopkins? If so, you might want to contact them about it.

I'm being seen at Johns Hopkins and am on their MAGE vaccine trial. So far, so good. I am getting a reaction after my injection that's consistent with the reported side effects. My primary symptoms have been fatigue and occasional nausea. It all dissipates in about 24-48 hours.

Linny
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics