The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Second Post: Stage 3 following full node removal

Forums General Melanoma Community Second Post: Stage 3 following full node removal

Participant

I'm not really sure if I'm stage 3a, 3b or 3c.  Based on the results I received today, I would assume 3a.

So I went through full node removal in my neck and underarm on my right side.  The surgery took place Friday, November 13 and I received biopsy results today.  They removed a total of 59 nodes from those areas and every one came back negative for cancer, which I'm very thankful for.

I'm very numb from the top of my ear down to the top part of my rib cage and trying to gain strength and range of motion back in my arm and turning my head.  Other than the numbness and drainage (I have a drain tube), no significant side effects from the surgery.  I'm assuming the numbness will dissipate over the months ahead.

We are still trying to determine whether or not to pursue further treatment, although I think I've ruled out interferon.  I may try to find a clinical or observe from here on out.  We'll see.  Anyway very thankful for the good news today and while it could be said that the node removal was unnecessary (in hindsight), you just make the best decision possible with the information you have and don't look back.

Any thoughts on clinicals versus observation is appreciated.  I'd like to focus on treatments that build my body and immune system, not break it down further.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jydnew
        Participant

I rarely come to the forum – maybe once or twice a year, but your post right at the top caught my attention.  My husband was dx stage 3a in 2002 and at the time, options were limited to observation (which was PET every 3 months for the first 2 years, every 6 months until year 5 and then every year after) or interferon.  Again, at the time, the doctors said interferon might give a small delay in recurrance, but they certainly didn't talk it up.  He chose observation and has remained cancer free.  He stopped getting scans at year 11 (they had switched to CT at year 6 or so – new oncologist, new plan).

He felt strongly that the surgery removed the cancer.  I don't know what else is out there for stage 3. 

Best of luck to you in making your decision.

Jydnew
          Participant

I rarely come to the forum – maybe once or twice a year, but your post right at the top caught my attention.  My husband was dx stage 3a in 2002 and at the time, options were limited to observation (which was PET every 3 months for the first 2 years, every 6 months until year 5 and then every year after) or interferon.  Again, at the time, the doctors said interferon might give a small delay in recurrance, but they certainly didn't talk it up.  He chose observation and has remained cancer free.  He stopped getting scans at year 11 (they had switched to CT at year 6 or so – new oncologist, new plan).

He felt strongly that the surgery removed the cancer.  I don't know what else is out there for stage 3. 

Jydnew
            Participant

Millykamp
              Participant

I am stage 3a, had my first surgery in Sept of 2015 and had to go back for more to remove my lymph node  and that surgery was done In Oct of 2015. They remove 17 and one came back positive, just had my drainage bag removed a few weeks ago and I had chosen to see an Oconolgist closer to home, well he pretty much said he refuse to put me on Interefon  and feels that I should be on clinical so I am going back to U of M to see Dr. Fecher and go from there..   Mine cancer was on my back, however I a still dealing with numbness under my arm.

jsagraves
                  Participant

Melissa, it sounds like your a month ahead of me as far as the lymph node removal goes.  Have seen any improvement in the numbness since the surgery was done?  Do you have full range of motion back?  I still don't have all my stitches out, but trying to work my arm as much as possible.  I don't mind the drain tube, as it keeps the swelling down, but it is beginning to wear out it's welcome too.

Millykamp
                    Participant

I am still numb under my arm, at times I do get some swollen.  My compression sleeve won't be in for another week, had problem with the insurance.. I can move my arm around good, but I can't reach very well, it seems to still hurt. I guess it all part of healing.  The drain tube was a pain for me.. I was so uncomfortable.  

Millykamp
                      Participant

I am still numb under my arm, at times I do get some swollen.  My compression sleeve won't be in for another week, had problem with the insurance.. I can move my arm around good, but I can't reach very well, it seems to still hurt. I guess it all part of healing.  The drain tube was a pain for me.. I was so uncomfortable.  

Millykamp
                        Participant

jsagraves
                          Participant

Compression sleeve: Was that a precautionary measure or did you get swelling in your arm?  How soon did that start?  Is that something that will be permanent for you or do they expect it to get better and be able to do away with the compression sleeve?

jsagraves
                            Participant

Compression sleeve: Was that a precautionary measure or did you get swelling in your arm?  How soon did that start?  Is that something that will be permanent for you or do they expect it to get better and be able to do away with the compression sleeve?

Millykamp
                              Participant

I do have some swelling in the arm and the doc order the sleeve for my arm due to I fly a lot,  and yes it can be permanent.   Lymphderma is something you want to contro. 

Millykamp
                                Participant

I do have some swelling in the arm and the doc order the sleeve for my arm due to I fly a lot,  and yes it can be permanent.   Lymphderma is something you want to contro. 

Millykamp
                                  Participant

gregor913
                                    Participant
                                      Hello, I am also 3b. Just dx Nov 2015. Back Mel with microscopic amounts found in sentinol node (x1). My pet results just came back and finally got some good news. He said there was no sign of cancer in the scan so it was negative. A Lil thanksgiving pick me up. Next step is having my surgery to have lymph nodes removed in armpit. Levels 1 2 and 3. After my doc wants to talk treatment options. I’m hoping this disease never comes back. Just want to enjoy today with wife and daughter and stop thinking bout melanoma.
                                      Greg

gregor913
                                      Participant
                                        Hello, I am also 3b. Just dx Nov 2015. Back Mel with microscopic amounts found in sentinol node (x1). My pet results just came back and finally got some good news. He said there was no sign of cancer in the scan so it was negative. A Lil thanksgiving pick me up. Next step is having my surgery to have lymph nodes removed in armpit. Levels 1 2 and 3. After my doc wants to talk treatment options. I’m hoping this disease never comes back. Just want to enjoy today with wife and daughter and stop thinking bout melanoma.
                                        Greg

gregor913
                                        Participant
                                          Greg

jsagraves
                                          Participant

jsagraves
                                            Participant

Melissa, it sounds like your a month ahead of me as far as the lymph node removal goes.  Have seen any improvement in the numbness since the surgery was done?  Do you have full range of motion back?  I still don't have all my stitches out, but trying to work my arm as much as possible.  I don't mind the drain tube, as it keeps the swelling down, but it is beginning to wear out it's welcome too.

jsagraves
                                              Participant

Millykamp
                                              Participant

I am stage 3a, had my first surgery in Sept of 2015 and had to go back for more to remove my lymph node  and that surgery was done In Oct of 2015. They remove 17 and one came back positive, just had my drainage bag removed a few weeks ago and I had chosen to see an Oconolgist closer to home, well he pretty much said he refuse to put me on Interefon  and feels that I should be on clinical so I am going back to U of M to see Dr. Fecher and go from there..   Mine cancer was on my back, however I a still dealing with numbness under my arm.

Millykamp
                                                Participant

Andrew1725
                                                  Participant

Yervoy has been approved as a treatment for Stage 3 and may be something to consider. Clinical trial showed a 25% decrease in recurrences in Stage 3 patients versus placebo. There is some fairly substantial side effect risk with Yervoy. Not sure what the melanoma experts attitude regarding Yervoy for Stage 3 would be, but it wouldn't surprise me if some were reluctant to prescribe it, similar to the reluctance with Interferon.

Andrew1725
                                                    Participant

Yervoy has been approved as a treatment for Stage 3 and may be something to consider. Clinical trial showed a 25% decrease in recurrences in Stage 3 patients versus placebo. There is some fairly substantial side effect risk with Yervoy. Not sure what the melanoma experts attitude regarding Yervoy for Stage 3 would be, but it wouldn't surprise me if some were reluctant to prescribe it, similar to the reluctance with Interferon.

Andrew1725
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics