The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Screening while on treatment.

Forums General Melanoma Community Screening while on treatment.

Participant

I just started treatment and I wonder now if there’s any value at this point in getting regular scans by a dermatologist since I’ll be getting CT and MRI every three months. I know this probably a better question for my oncologist, but it’s the weekend and I figured I’d ask the folks in the trenches. 

What are folks doing?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        RichInLife2
        Participant

In the post above I meant “screening by a dermatologist,” not scans. I sure wish there was a way to edit my own posts on this forum. 

bjeans
          Participant

My husband is in treatment and sees either his dermatologist or a PA at his melanoma center for a skin check every three months, including photos, scanning with a light, etc. They believe it’s very important; his dermatologist happens to be the director. 

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Hi Rich, id say stick with your Derm Doc, in my experiance, a simple “young” mole that very well could be a Melanoma will not show up in scans..
                RichInLife2
                Participant

Thanks Mike, I'll probably continue with screenings but with a different dermatologist. The one I had was part of the problem, not the solution.

Mark_DC
                  Participant

Hi Rich

i tried to write to you yesterday but my post got lost with the captcha

definitely keeping seeing the dermatologist regularly

when i was stage i or ii i became a bit sloppy and missed one of my three month appointments and then something important was missed

i now go every three months, half the time my derm needs to freeze something, keeping in touch with him means that i can see him immediately if something odd pops up – definitely do this

good luck Mark

lkb
                  Participant

I was trading off–3 months with my regular derm and 3 months with melanoma derm. In retrospect, I think I should have stayed with the melanoma derm only because I think she would have caught something the regular derm missed. (Basically, my neck dissection scar was always bumpy, which is why my regular derm and I missed the new melanoma bump; it just looked like scar tissue.) Melanoma derm only for me going forward.

RichInLife2
                      Participant

Hi, how did you find your melanoma derm? As stated above, I am in the market for a new dermatologist.

lkb
                        Participant

My melanoma derm is part of UCSF's melanoma center where I am treated.

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

I once posed this question to two top notch melanoma docs after a webinar. They BOTH wholeheartedly agreed that I should continue to see a derm. CT's don't always pick up lesions on or near the skin surface, and radiologists aren't typically looking at that region. They tend to focus more on the internal organs for metastasis. I was getting CT's every 3 months, and ended up having a subcutaneous lesion picked up on a mammogram…. the CT didn't show it.

My derm works at the same cancer center (Norris… it's part of USC) where both my medical and radiation oncologists are. He's in close touch with both docs, and veeeery familiar with my history, as well as the latest updates in trends and treatments for melanoma.  

My oncologist also pushed me to see a derm for yearly screening and I'm stage IV.  I had to break up with my derm and see a new one as my original derm refused to biopsy my suspicious lumps and told me to go home and relax.  Turned out it was stage IV melanoma.  So anyway, I'm getting mole screens yearly at this point.  Others may be on different schedules but at least now I'm seeing someone who gets that this is serious.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics