The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scans showing something that is really nothing

Forums General Melanoma Community Scans showing something that is really nothing

Participant

Hi guys,

I am just posting this in hopes that it helps all of you that go through that scan anxiety that we know so well.  I am still on the MK-3475/Pembro/Keytruda clinical trial.  I have been on it for 2.5 years and have had great results with it. All my scans have been great since the drug started doing its thing…so I am lucky to say that my scanning anxiety has been less over the past year and a half. 

My recent scan in December showed some intestinal wall thickening…so they were worried that I might be experiencing some colitis…but I was not.  And my scan a few weeks ago showed that same intestinal wall thickening, as well as what looked like intestinal wall collapsing (which is very dangerous), and some suspicious lesions in my colon.  So they were worried that perhaps the drug was hurting my intestines and that perhaps the melanoma had traveled south to my digestive system and they wanted to do a colonoscopy. 

The colonoscopy showed that everything was very healthy.  No intestinal wall thickening or collapsing and no spots.  They took several biopsies anyway to make sure…and all came back totally normal.  Diagnosis: No need for another colonoscopy for at least 10 years.  For me to hear 10 years….was such a strange feeling.  A feeling like I was a normal person without this metastatic melanoma cloud over my head.  A person that easily has 10 years to live without question.  🙂

So my point is….try your best not to waste too much time stressing and worrying until you truly have all the tests back.  Our doctors are doing the best they can to help us. 

Love, health and happiness to you all, Laurie

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gwen in Maine
        Participant

Thanks so much for posting this, Laurie. In December, my first scans since starting Keytruda showed many of my tumors shrinking. I'm still finding it hard to relax until I get results from the scans I had yesterday. Your experience helps!

Gwen

sweetaugust
            Participant

That's great news Gwen…that your first scans showed shrinking.  Sounds like you are on the right track. I love hearing that.  Have a great day, Laurie

sweetaugust
              Participant

That's great news Gwen…that your first scans showed shrinking.  Sounds like you are on the right track. I love hearing that.  Have a great day, Laurie

sweetaugust
                Participant

Gwen in Maine
                Participant

Thanks so much for posting this, Laurie. In December, my first scans since starting Keytruda showed many of my tumors shrinking. I'm still finding it hard to relax until I get results from the scans I had yesterday. Your experience helps!

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                  Participant

Gwen

magnus31
                    Participant

Fantastic! I am so happy to hear this great news. And it really is such an inspiration to others in stage IV like myself. Thanks for sharing.

magnus31
                      Participant

Fantastic! I am so happy to hear this great news. And it really is such an inspiration to others in stage IV like myself. Thanks for sharing.

magnus31
                        Participant

dvd
                          Participant

9 months after being NED on ipi plus nivo or placebo trial I had a hot spot in my spine on PET scan. Obviously concerned, but without any symptoms, I had a folow-up MRI of the area which showed nothing. That was three months ago so I'm patiently waiting for the scan results from my PET yesterday… 

dvd
                            Participant

9 months after being NED on ipi plus nivo or placebo trial I had a hot spot in my spine on PET scan. Obviously concerned, but without any symptoms, I had a folow-up MRI of the area which showed nothing. That was three months ago so I'm patiently waiting for the scan results from my PET yesterday… 

dvd
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics