The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scans and Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Scans and Keytruda

Participant

Hi again…I come and go but do rely on this community for the wealth of experience and "on the ground" knowledge offered here! Yesterday my 18yr old son had scans. He has a very heave tumor load and has been in keytruda for 9 months now. Though I try not to get my hopes up too high, I just did. He looks so good. He gained 10lbs which hasn't happened in a year! He needed it. 

Well, no shrinkage anywhere in the last 3 months. His many liver tumors stable, bones stable, lungs stable, spine stable…several new tumors as well. Several in his chest and stomach(nodes?), peck muscles, hip, and the one in his rectum is more active. No brain scan this time. 

He plays tennis several times a week, goes to the gym, eats crazy healthy, supplements, rests a lot, and is really only doing his body right now. At 18 it's hard. He wants to be away doing life! College, anything but living with mom going to the hospital. He says he is okay, not discouraged. So grateful!

our doc at Huntsman in Utah says he will put his case in front of the board next TH. My question is what should I look to add/do from here? He has had his full DNA run 10 months ago in case there was anything we could do w it. Our doc mentioned ipi. We were able to skip ipi and go straight to the pembro. It has better data and less side effects! 

Hate the decisions. Afraid to go off keytruda w spine/liver mets for over 9 months now!! How long can he feel good like this? 

Thanks for all your support and knowledge. Love and prayers to you all–always!

Kerri–momofjake

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

Kerri,

Yours is a sad story with what seams no where to go.  I think at this point in Jake's life you should explore all options available to you and you feel acceptable with your religion. I am a stage IIIB and I am on Opdivo under a clinical trial so I have agreed not to take any meds or supplements other than what my Dr provides.  I am doing this to hopefully provide good results for others at my stage. If I should move to a stage IV, I will explore all options both legal and illegal.

I do juice vegetables to increase vitamins and O2 levels in my blood. I think this is a good step and you can read about Dr. Max Gerson (Google if you have not). Other investigations have led to Cannabis Oil treatment. I am very serious about this as I have seen how it had cured cancers in people I know that at are stage 3 and 4.  It is very inexpensive compared to FDA approved drugs.  I have discussed this with my DR and he asked me not to use the cannabis oil until I have completed my treatment of Opdivo. He even agrees as a cancer patient I should do everything in my power to cure myself.  

I do not know if Medical Marijuana is legal in Utah, but you are close enough to to to Colorado. Please research it and read up on European Cannabis Oil treatments and studies. (I am not talking about smoking pot). 

I will pray for Jake and others that are stricken with all ills. 

Tom

geriakt
          Participant

Kerri,

Yours is a sad story with what seams no where to go.  I think at this point in Jake's life you should explore all options available to you and you feel acceptable with your religion. I am a stage IIIB and I am on Opdivo under a clinical trial so I have agreed not to take any meds or supplements other than what my Dr provides.  I am doing this to hopefully provide good results for others at my stage. If I should move to a stage IV, I will explore all options both legal and illegal.

I do juice vegetables to increase vitamins and O2 levels in my blood. I think this is a good step and you can read about Dr. Max Gerson (Google if you have not). Other investigations have led to Cannabis Oil treatment. I am very serious about this as I have seen how it had cured cancers in people I know that at are stage 3 and 4.  It is very inexpensive compared to FDA approved drugs.  I have discussed this with my DR and he asked me not to use the cannabis oil until I have completed my treatment of Opdivo. He even agrees as a cancer patient I should do everything in my power to cure myself.  

I do not know if Medical Marijuana is legal in Utah, but you are close enough to to to Colorado. Please research it and read up on European Cannabis Oil treatments and studies. (I am not talking about smoking pot). 

Tom

geriakt
            Participant

Kerri,

Tom

JuTMSY4
              Participant

Hi Kerri,

I've read your story a number of times and I have to tell you, it breaks my heart.  I was 29 when I was diagnosed and I felt like the world was being mean.  I hear about your son, and it just seems doubly cruel.  I'm praying for the best.

As I was starting Keytruda, I (really, my now-wife) had questions about how long, what are the goals, what do we do in response to stability.  This is where you really need to work with your Oncologist because as much as it's a clinical approach, it's also about treating your son.  So, if he feels good and he's gaining weight, your oncologist may be apprehensive to stop/switch from Keytruda.  I think you understand that.

One thought my doc mentioned when I started ipi (as Keytruda wasn't yet approved as a frontline option) was that there is at least some belief that ipi and keytruda may also work together (like the ipi/nivo combo) and that my doc had perhaps noted a potential for more success with followup of keytruda after ipi.  Perhaps its worth investigating.  It sounds like your doc sees a strong young man and is considering a variety of options.  It also sounds like he would tolerate ipi well, but that's for you, your son and the docs to decide.  

Hang in there.  I'm sure many others will chime in with lots of thoughts.  

-Justin

JuTMSY4
                Participant

Hi Kerri,

I've read your story a number of times and I have to tell you, it breaks my heart.  I was 29 when I was diagnosed and I felt like the world was being mean.  I hear about your son, and it just seems doubly cruel.  I'm praying for the best.

As I was starting Keytruda, I (really, my now-wife) had questions about how long, what are the goals, what do we do in response to stability.  This is where you really need to work with your Oncologist because as much as it's a clinical approach, it's also about treating your son.  So, if he feels good and he's gaining weight, your oncologist may be apprehensive to stop/switch from Keytruda.  I think you understand that.

One thought my doc mentioned when I started ipi (as Keytruda wasn't yet approved as a frontline option) was that there is at least some belief that ipi and keytruda may also work together (like the ipi/nivo combo) and that my doc had perhaps noted a potential for more success with followup of keytruda after ipi.  Perhaps its worth investigating.  It sounds like your doc sees a strong young man and is considering a variety of options.  It also sounds like he would tolerate ipi well, but that's for you, your son and the docs to decide.  

-Justin

JuTMSY4
                  Participant

Hi Kerri,

-Justin

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hello,

I just wanted to mention that IPI does not give all bad side effects as we are all individuals and each of us reacts to each medication differently.  Any medication you take for anything has bad side effects but that does not mean he will get them.

My husband took IPI and he is now NED and he had mets in liver and lungs and he did not have a lot of side effects so it might be worth a try.  That and your son is young and active so it may not be bad at all for him.

Some drugs work well with others and maybe this one would or another combo. 

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 3 years)

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hello,

I just wanted to mention that IPI does not give all bad side effects as we are all individuals and each of us reacts to each medication differently.  Any medication you take for anything has bad side effects but that does not mean he will get them.

My husband took IPI and he is now NED and he had mets in liver and lungs and he did not have a lot of side effects so it might be worth a try.  That and your son is young and active so it may not be bad at all for him.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Hello,

Maria C
                          Participant

Kerri, reading your story my heart aches for you and Jake both. My college-age son also battled cancer recently (his was another kind, with a kinder prognosis), and I understand how terrifying this could be.

On the plus side, your son sounds like he would be a strong candidate for the many more immunotherapy options available for Stage IV melanoma since FDA approval in October. My research for myself (Stage IV from the hop) led to the ipi/nivo combo, which studies show offer the most promising results, and are keeping me stable right now (although I'm just 7 months into this). Because these drugs are now FDA approved and are not tied to strict clinical trial parameters, there's more flexibility to start with both, drop one if there's significant toxicity then bring it back in later if there's more disease progression, etc. Every case is different but there are more options now. 

Jake's appetite and activity are strong signs he may be able to tolerate the ipi/nivo combo well…your oncologist would know best. I encourage you to at least inquire about that option.

Love and prayers to you too –

Maria C
                            Participant

Kerri, reading your story my heart aches for you and Jake both. My college-age son also battled cancer recently (his was another kind, with a kinder prognosis), and I understand how terrifying this could be.

On the plus side, your son sounds like he would be a strong candidate for the many more immunotherapy options available for Stage IV melanoma since FDA approval in October. My research for myself (Stage IV from the hop) led to the ipi/nivo combo, which studies show offer the most promising results, and are keeping me stable right now (although I'm just 7 months into this). Because these drugs are now FDA approved and are not tied to strict clinical trial parameters, there's more flexibility to start with both, drop one if there's significant toxicity then bring it back in later if there's more disease progression, etc. Every case is different but there are more options now. 

Jake's appetite and activity are strong signs he may be able to tolerate the ipi/nivo combo well…your oncologist would know best. I encourage you to at least inquire about that option.

Maria C
                              Participant

melj
                                Participant

Hi Kerry, my heart goes out to you and wish you and Jake all the very best. I'd like to echo what Justin and Maria said about ipi working real well with Keytruda. When I was diagnosed as stage 4 in January I had the choice of Keytruda mono therapy or ipi with nivolumab . My tumour burden was low so I chose Keytruda monotherapy because of the side effects. However, my research showed better efficacy from the combo. I guess you know that the ipi combo is 4 doses three weeks apart. I've read that ipi educates the immune system over the longer term and I hope you 'll consider it. Xx

Mel J

melj
                                  Participant

Hi Kerry, my heart goes out to you and wish you and Jake all the very best. I'd like to echo what Justin and Maria said about ipi working real well with Keytruda. When I was diagnosed as stage 4 in January I had the choice of Keytruda mono therapy or ipi with nivolumab . My tumour burden was low so I chose Keytruda monotherapy because of the side effects. However, my research showed better efficacy from the combo. I guess you know that the ipi combo is 4 doses three weeks apart. I've read that ipi educates the immune system over the longer term and I hope you 'll consider it. Xx

Mel J

melj
                                    Participant

Mel J

Polymath
                                      Participant

Hi Kerry,

Echoing others here, I can't imagine the pain you are going through, and you just have to admire your Son's spirit, and obvious will to live.  That said, I also agree the ipi/nivo combo seems like the obvious next choice.  I would also suggest that more and more evidence is pointing to adding a third treatment to the combo of radiation therapy.  The radiation begins to destroy the tumors, releasing antigens that the immune system then targets.  In some cases there is a systemic response, as though once the immune system recognizes, and get a taste for those tumor cells it goes after all of them.

I will veer away from others advice based on my own non-response to everything we can throw at my disease.  My specialist scans me very often, and if something is not working we try something else.  Time is not on our side when we are constantly seeing progression.  I think just continuing the pembro alone at this point is a mistake.  You must do more.  Since I have run the gamut in FDA treatments, I will likely move back to clinical trials, where novel drug combo therapies are being tried, and possibly look at adoptive cell therapy (TIL) as next steps.  Best to you and your family.

Gary

Polymath
                                        Participant

Hi Kerry,

Echoing others here, I can't imagine the pain you are going through, and you just have to admire your Son's spirit, and obvious will to live.  That said, I also agree the ipi/nivo combo seems like the obvious next choice.  I would also suggest that more and more evidence is pointing to adding a third treatment to the combo of radiation therapy.  The radiation begins to destroy the tumors, releasing antigens that the immune system then targets.  In some cases there is a systemic response, as though once the immune system recognizes, and get a taste for those tumor cells it goes after all of them.

I will veer away from others advice based on my own non-response to everything we can throw at my disease.  My specialist scans me very often, and if something is not working we try something else.  Time is not on our side when we are constantly seeing progression.  I think just continuing the pembro alone at this point is a mistake.  You must do more.  Since I have run the gamut in FDA treatments, I will likely move back to clinical trials, where novel drug combo therapies are being tried, and possibly look at adoptive cell therapy (TIL) as next steps.  Best to you and your family.

Gary

BrianP
                                            Participant

Two thumbs up and a click of the like button for Gary's reply.

Prayers for your family.

BrianP
                                              Participant

Prayers for your family.

BrianP
                                                Participant

Prayers for your family.

Mat
                                                  Participant

Agreed.

Mat
                                                    Participant

Agreed.

Mat
                                                      Participant

Agreed.

Polymath
                                                      Participant

Hi Kerry,

Gary

Squash
                                                        Participant

I think you need to have a back up plan.

In my case I am on the combo and if i fail i would have nothing to fall back on.

So I have investigated the cannabis oil and have a contact and will start with CO if i fail the Ipi/Nivo combo.

I doubt whether my body could take too many more drugs or toxic treatments so I think given that there is some evidence that the CO works for some people it is worth a shot.

Additionally it is good for pain management and general quality of life.

I really wish you all the best so hard to deal with this horrible disease for someone so young.

Squash
                                                          Participant

In my case I am on the combo and if i fail i would have nothing to fall back on.

So I have investigated the cannabis oil and have a contact and will start with CO if i fail the Ipi/Nivo combo.

I doubt whether my body could take too many more drugs or toxic treatments so I think given that there is some evidence that the CO works for some people it is worth a shot.

I really wish you all the best so hard to deal with this horrible disease for someone so young.

Squash
                                                            Participant

Andrew1725
                                                              Participant

I will echo others here and say that the ipi/nivo combo seems to be the logical next step.

As a young person who seems to be in otherwise good health, I think that TIL treatment and even Interleukin 2 (IL-2) are possible considerations if the combo doesn't prove effective.

It does sound like it's probably time to switch up the treatment plan, based on your description of what's going on. I wish you the best of luck.

Andrew1725
                                                                Participant

I will echo others here and say that the ipi/nivo combo seems to be the logical next step.

As a young person who seems to be in otherwise good health, I think that TIL treatment and even Interleukin 2 (IL-2) are possible considerations if the combo doesn't prove effective.

It does sound like it's probably time to switch up the treatment plan, based on your description of what's going on. I wish you the best of luck.

Andrew1725
                                                                  Participant

ed williams
                                                                    Participant

Hi Kerri, with Immunotherapy drugs stable is good and if your oncologist feel that your son is progressing on Keytruda then the idea of the combination of Ipi and Nivo would be an excellent choice. The % of people that this combination is working for is by far the best, however the side effects must be closely watched. About 50% of the people who start the combination have to stop due to toxicity, yet many continue to respond even off treatment. Celeste(Bubbles) has the links on her blog to all the current data from the combination and other promising trials of different  Immunotherapy drugs and combination. Best wishes!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                      Participant

Hi Kerri, with Immunotherapy drugs stable is good and if your oncologist feel that your son is progressing on Keytruda then the idea of the combination of Ipi and Nivo would be an excellent choice. The % of people that this combination is working for is by far the best, however the side effects must be closely watched. About 50% of the people who start the combination have to stop due to toxicity, yet many continue to respond even off treatment. Celeste(Bubbles) has the links on her blog to all the current data from the combination and other promising trials of different  Immunotherapy drugs and combination. Best wishes!!! Ed

ed williams
                                                                        Participant

mkirkland
                                                                          Participant

Hi Kerri! I don't have much knowledge but I am so glad to see u post on here. I always look forward to seeing updates about Jake. I was diagnosed stage 3A last year and just finished up 4 infusions of Ipi and I didn't exp many side effects at all. You really just don't know from person to person how they will react. Sending prayers always for your family!! 

Misty 

mkirkland
                                                                            Participant

Hi Kerri! I don't have much knowledge but I am so glad to see u post on here. I always look forward to seeing updates about Jake. I was diagnosed stage 3A last year and just finished up 4 infusions of Ipi and I didn't exp many side effects at all. You really just don't know from person to person how they will react. Sending prayers always for your family!! 

Misty 

mkirkland
                                                                              Participant

Misty 

Momofjake
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Misty. Lots of you seem to have done okay on ipi. I will try to keep you posted. Please let us know how you are!

Momofjake
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Misty. Lots of you seem to have done okay on ipi. I will try to keep you posted. Please let us know how you are!

Momofjake
                                                                                      Participant

Momofjake
                                                                                      Participant

Okay my online bff's. This was exactly what I needed!! Just for reference Jake has done biochemo(interluekin2) and a full 20 high doses of radiation on his head and neck! It grew during radiation. We have CO and he hates it. He juices all day by his own choice. We have some other stuff too plus his DNA is run and ready! But I think I like the combo!! He seriously looks great. We played tennis tonight and he played awesome. Yes, we have had some surreal days, I mourned his health and future for a long time. But now we are happy! My other son gets married Fri. Jake feels good. We will go quickly to a new option and we just must press on with faith and gratitude! This will be a happy week. Then I will push for the combo next week! Jake is totally happy and tells people he is cured so they go back to treating him normal!! He doesn't like to be the weird cancer guy!! 

Thanks, and my prayers to you all as you navigate this horrible disease! Especially those whose cancer seems to keep growing despite your best efforts! Keep trying. 

Kerri

BrianP
                                                                                          Participant

Your son sounds amazing.  I always hated being that "weird cancer guy" also.  I much prefer being just that weird guy.  You guys are awesome.  Congrats on the wedding. 

Brian

Momofjake
                                                                                            Participant

I got a good laugh! Thanks!! 

tschmith
                                                                                              Participant

Wow!  You and Jake have a wonderful attitude.  I've been following your journey and pray that adding ipi to the mix will give you the results you need. I was in a gene therapy trial at NIH.  At first it wasn't considered a success, but shortly after I finished the trial, I began Keytruda.  My first set of scans showed considerable shrinkage and things continued to improve.  I've not had any progression since stopping Keytruda in June of 2015.

I will keep Jake in my prayers.

Best wishes and congratulations on your other son's wedding!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                                Participant

Wow!  You and Jake have a wonderful attitude.  I've been following your journey and pray that adding ipi to the mix will give you the results you need. I was in a gene therapy trial at NIH.  At first it wasn't considered a success, but shortly after I finished the trial, I began Keytruda.  My first set of scans showed considerable shrinkage and things continued to improve.  I've not had any progression since stopping Keytruda in June of 2015.

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                                  Participant

Terrie

Momofjake
                                                                                                    Participant

Momofjake
                                                                                                      Participant

BrianP
                                                                                                        Participant

Your son sounds amazing.  I always hated being that "weird cancer guy" also.  I much prefer being just that weird guy.  You guys are awesome.  Congrats on the wedding. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                          Participant

Brian

Momofjake
                                                                                                          Participant

Okay my online bff's. This was exactly what I needed!! Just for reference Jake has done biochemo(interluekin2) and a full 20 high doses of radiation on his head and neck! It grew during radiation. We have CO and he hates it. He juices all day by his own choice. We have some other stuff too plus his DNA is run and ready! But I think I like the combo!! He seriously looks great. We played tennis tonight and he played awesome. Yes, we have had some surreal days, I mourned his health and future for a long time. But now we are happy! My other son gets married Fri. Jake feels good. We will go quickly to a new option and we just must press on with faith and gratitude! This will be a happy week. Then I will push for the combo next week! Jake is totally happy and tells people he is cured so they go back to treating him normal!! He doesn't like to be the weird cancer guy!! 

Thanks, and my prayers to you all as you navigate this horrible disease! Especially those whose cancer seems to keep growing despite your best efforts! Keep trying. 

Kerri

Momofjake
                                                                                                            Participant

Kerri

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics