The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan schedule

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan schedule

Participant

Hi everyone. 

My son is 6 months into to his adjuvant Nivo therapy for his Stage 3a melanoma……his only scan so far was a PETscan in March following his initial diagnosis and prior to any of his surgeries.  He had his sentinel node biopsy and WLE  at the end of March, positive for microscopic melanoma, and a partial neck dissection at the end of April, and all those  lymph nodes were negative.  He began his Nivo treatment at the end of May when he was finally staged. 

We are scheduled for his 6 month mark CT scans of his head, neck, and chest on Nov12….I received a letter from the insurance company stating that his neck and chest CT were approved…however I did not get a letter about his head CT  being approved…the nurse at the doctors office returned my call today because of course I was all over that, and she said the insurance company denied the head CT. She said she forwarded more info and is hoping to hear back from the insurance company in the next couple days. 

So my question is I guess ….how often and what kind of scans do Stage 3 patients usually get????  I think I may be in for ongoing battles with Blue Cross and Blue Shield for years to come and I just wondered if this is something other people go through…up until now I have had little to complain about…everything was covered with minimal copays…but I’m sorry….with the reputation melanoma has for sneaking back in after surgery you would think frequent routine scans are justified….I’m furious…I know my doctors office is doing everything they need to do to get it approved by Nov 12. But I still do not understand the denial in the first place!!! 

So frustrated and not looking forward to calling BCBS tomorrow….

Kelly :/

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        mandyjill
        Participant

So sorry you are having to go through all this with your little one.  I am stage 3b and I don't ever have scans on my head.  I asked my doctor about that and he said unless I was having symptoms associated with my head, he didn't think it was necessary. My primary melanoma was on my shoulder and I had a positive node under my arm. I always have them of my neck, chest and abdomen.  My insurance doesn't always approve the one of my neck for some reason.  I think a lot of it has to do with where the melanoma has been previously.

KellyH
            Participant

My sons melanoma was on his scalp….so I would think a scan of his head would be appropriate…and a neck scan definitely appropriate for a shoulder melanoma.  I guess I’ll be fighting this one out tomorrow!!!!!! Ugh 

swalters1038
              Participant

I don't have any problem getting Brain MRI's (every 6 months) and CTs (every 3 months).  I also had melanoma discovered in the head area.  I am on blue cross blue shield.  The scan I have to fight for is the PET scan.

mandyjill
              Participant

But to add to my previous response, I did have a PET scan of my head when I was first diagnosed.  Just not since then.

doragsda
                Participant

I'm not a medical practitioner, but I can share our experiences with my wife's melanoma.

She was stage 2 in December 2016.   Primary that was deep and ulcerated on her left calf.   Sentinel lymph nodes were clear upon biopsy.   PET of entire body was done which showed nothing of interest.    At stage 2, no adjuvant therapy is offered and plan was 6 month scans.    Fast forward to just before her next scans and I'm taking her to ER with dizziness and nausea.   ER does brain MRI and two brain mets are discovered.    She is currently NED after brain surgery, gamma knife, and ipi/nivo and currently Nivo for another year.

I asked a lot of tough questions about her original scan, as the radiation oncologist who handled her gamma knife told me that a PET really can't see tumors in the brain, so it is a fairly poor tool for that.

The upshot is that the conventional wisdom seems to be that they will scan the body but not the brain unless a patient has CNS symptoms.   The logic behind this is that melanoma usually moves to an internal organ before it moves to the brain.   In my wife's case, this was not true, but she appears to be an outlier in that regard.

Her current, every 3 month, scan regimen is a CT of the chest and abdomen and a MRI of her brain.  I hope this helps.

MichelleRHG
                  Participant
                    Hi. When I was initially diagnosed with Stage 3 (primary and mets lower extremity) I had brain MRI. I don’t think we typically get CT or PET of brain). CT of chest, abdomen, pelvis continued quarterly until I advanced to stage 4, the, brain MRI added back in quarterly. This is the protocol from MD Anderson. Good luck
                    Becky
                    Participant

Hi

My sons melanoma was oral, neck dissection, year of interferon. He had PET scans done ( body only) every 6 months but the only time they did an MRI of his head was when he was having headaches (thankfully nothing showed up)

MovingOn
                      Participant

I only get scans up to the neck in terms of physician orders going to insurance, however my neck scans go all the way to the top of my head (I see them in my oncologist’s office). I’ve had melanoma in lymph nodes behind my ear so I make certain that my head is checked by the radiologists with each scan. Maybe your insurance declined the head CT because they know the neck CT will Include the head?

MovingOn
                          Participant

I just realized that you may be referring to a scan of the brain rather than just the outside of the head. In order to get an MRI of the brain I think Oncologists usually need to have a specific reason for the request to insurance (e.g. headaches, dizzyness, vision problems)

HeidiZ
                            Participant

Hi Kelly,  When I was first staged 3A with my melanoma on my scalp and micro in lymph node during sential biopsy they only were doing ct of my chest and abdomen. I didn't understand why when all the activity was going on with head and neck.  This was Sloan and when I questioned it they said this was the standard for melanoma patients.  I disagreed and said I think I should have neck scans as well and thereafter they were also included.  When I would feel bumps on my head during treatment they weren't to concerned because I was on treatment even though I know they were melanoma.  I always have one Brain MRI once a year and now on evey 5 month for neck, chest and abdomen scans.  My last treatment was 14 months ago and I'm stge IV.  Heidi

lkb
                            Participant

Kelly, I'm with Blue Shield and coverage has been good, so far.  My primary was on my scalp, but like others on here, I'm told that the CT is not the best test for the head; MRI is better. One scan (cannot remember which) was not initially approved, but the doc went to bat and got it approved. I was also told by Blue Shield at one point, I owed $78K–but this was later said to be about the timing of contract negotiations between BL and my provider, Quickly resolved. I understand your frustration and hope your situation is resolved soon.

Lisa

Hi Kelly,

I'm stage IV and with Blue Cross and haven't had any problems with scan coverage.  I'm on a quarterly schedule for chest, abdomen, pelvis CT and brain MRI.  I don't get pet scans as the neuro team feels they aren't reliable enough for the brain.  

My advice would be to work closely with the doctor's office staff.  Coverage issues often can be quickly resolved when they get more info or the coding is changed.  

Good wishes to you both,

Jennifer

Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics