The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan results and anemia

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan results and anemia

Participant

Hi all hope you doing as well has can be. Been for results of scans, plus camera tests . Scans same no change normal I was told. Camera test normal biopsy test taken normal.

so had my bloods today HB bloods still low 75 started iron tablets 3 weeks ago so was not expecting big change but did talk about another blood transfusion. So going in on Saturday for 3 bags blood which should bring me up to 100. 

Question after all the test looks like treatment could be causing bloods to drop and anemia so waiting iron count back then looking at b12 infections with iron meds.

anyone had iron tablets and how long before improved anemia.

thanks guys

scooby❤️

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Scooby,

Well, normal is good!!!!  Not that that gives you a complete answer to your problem!!  I'm not sure what lab result your numbers are referencing.  However, when anemia is simply due to low iron intake…iron supplements for about 1-3 months (depending on the level the person started with) usually bring levels back to normal.  When there is a site of blood loss or a cause of anemia like a medication, then supplementation may have to continue as long as the patient is dealing with that issue.  Probably doesn't help you much, but hang in there!!  celeste

Scooby123
            Participant
              Hi hun my iron level was 5 my hemoglobin is 75 so low . just had 3 weeks on iron tablets hebaglobin dropped to 75 not bad as it was dropping in ten and twenty by numbers. So very low when starting iron meds. Hoping transfusion will boost it giving iron to kick in. Xx
              Bubbles
              Participant

I bet your transfusion will help a great deal and I am sure your docs will put you to rights!!  It is all pretty confusing when you are in the middle of all this.

Here's some info that might help you when you see your doc next:

Red Blood Cells:  The blood cells that carry oxygen. Red cells contain hemoglobin and it is the hemoglobin which lets them to transport oxygen (and carbon dioxide). Hemoglobin, is also a pigment and gives the cells their red color.  A red blood cell count is the number of those kinds cells in a certain amount of blood.  Normal values are around 4.2 to 5.9 million cells/cmm.

Hemoglobin:  a protein in your red blood cells that carries oxygen to your body's organs and tissues and transports carbon dioxide from your organs and tissues back to your lungs.  The normal range for hemoglobin is:  For men, 13.5 to 17.5 grams per deciliter.  For women, 12.0 to 15.5 grams per deciliter.

Hematocrit:  the proportion, by volume, of the blood that is made up of red blood cells. It is reported as a percentage. For example, a hematocrit of 25% means that there are 25 milliliters of red blood cells in 100 milliliters of blood.  Adult males: 42% to 54%.  Adult women: 38% to 46%.

Ferritin:  the major iron storage protein in the body.  Normal ferritin levels range from 12 to 300 nanograms per milliliter of blood (ng/mL) for males and 12 to 150 ng/mL for females.

Serum iron levels:  This is the amount of circulating iron bound to transferrin in the blood.  The serum iron reference range is 55–160 µg/dL in men and 40–155 µg/dL in women.

Anyhow, I hope they get you all set and feeling better very soon.  Yours, c

Scooby123
                Participant

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics