The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

scalp re-section – NO post anesthesia nausea!

Forums General Melanoma Community scalp re-section – NO post anesthesia nausea!

Participant

Hi y'all,

Hoping and praying no one else faces a scalp re-section. That being said, I wanted to post that my surgery took 6 hours, 2 surgeons (plastic and oncologist), 2 anesthesiologists and I had an AWESOME outcome.

I insisted on some sort of anti-nausea drug. There's nothing worse than puking for days after surgery! My plastic surgeon prescribed Emends 40 mg, 3-4 hours pre-op with just a sip of water. I also had Compazine (suppository) and will ask for the same 2 again if I need any further surgeries.

Hi y'all,

Hoping and praying no one else faces a scalp re-section. That being said, I wanted to post that my surgery took 6 hours, 2 surgeons (plastic and oncologist), 2 anesthesiologists and I had an AWESOME outcome.

I insisted on some sort of anti-nausea drug. There's nothing worse than puking for days after surgery! My plastic surgeon prescribed Emends 40 mg, 3-4 hours pre-op with just a sip of water. I also had Compazine (suppository) and will ask for the same 2 again if I need any further surgeries.

NO nausea after 6 hours of general anesthesia! Plastic surgeon injected pain meds directly into my 3 incisions, and literally, I was only "uncomfortable", not in pain, from the drains. This was my most extensive surgery and the BEST by far. I'm back at work full time a week later (I still have 40 staples in my head).

Please be your own advocate and don't settle for "everyone gets sick after anesthesia". I now know better and will expect nothing less!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I wish I had noticed the date on your post that I just replied to.  It was at the top of the list so I thought it was brand new and it wasn't until I read this one that I saw that it dated back to the 5th. Sorry!  But I'm glad you've had such a positive out come!  Yea!  Happy dancing!

Betcha you're looking Great!  Have a blessed, wonderful day.  All the best. Thank you, Lord!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
          Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I wish I had noticed the date on your post that I just replied to.  It was at the top of the list so I thought it was brand new and it wasn't until I read this one that I saw that it dated back to the 5th. Sorry!  But I'm glad you've had such a positive out come!  Yea!  Happy dancing!

Betcha you're looking Great!  Have a blessed, wonderful day.  All the best. Thank you, Lord!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics