The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

scalp itch from Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community scalp itch from Zelboraf

Participant

Hello. This question is addressed to those who developed rashes and scalp itches from taking Zelboraf. After a week I developed a rash that covers much of my body, but my scalp in particular is causing crazy itching. My doctor put me on 40mg Prednisone. Are there are topical solutions that have worked for people, or suggestions about ways of relieving scalp itch — so far I'm just scratching my head about it.

A good weekend to all,

Paul

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant

Paul,

My scalp itched like crazy and I had a grade 4 rash, I too was on prednisone.  I just put up with the scalp stuff. Everything got better over time but I did lose almost all my hair on my head and body hair too. 

Amy 

paul Lyons
            Participant

Thanks, Amy. That's helpful. Did you stay on prednisone will continuing Zelboraf?

Paul

awillett1991
              Participant

I got a big blast of IV steroids in the hospital to get rid of the worst of the rash.  I was on prednisone the entire time I took it, but a small dose, 5 mg I think. Also I had to reduce my dose to 3 pills twice a day and after I did Ipi I had to go to 2 wks on/1 wk off. You can check my profile. I'm on dabrafenib now, so much easier.

paul Lyons
                Participant

Thanks again, Amy. I'm due to start Yervoy after Zelboraf, so am following in your path.

Hope things are going well for you on dabrafenib.

paul Lyons
                  Participant

Thanks again, Amy. I'm due to start Yervoy after Zelboraf, so am following in your path.

paul Lyons
                    Participant

awillett1991
                      Participant

I got a big blast of IV steroids in the hospital to get rid of the worst of the rash.  I was on prednisone the entire time I took it, but a small dose, 5 mg I think. Also I had to reduce my dose to 3 pills twice a day and after I did Ipi I had to go to 2 wks on/1 wk off. You can check my profile. I'm on dabrafenib now, so much easier.

awillett1991
                        Participant

paul Lyons
                          Participant

Thanks, Amy. That's helpful. Did you stay on prednisone will continuing Zelboraf?

Paul

paul Lyons
                            Participant

Paul

awillett1991
                            Participant

Paul,

My scalp itched like crazy and I had a grade 4 rash, I too was on prednisone.  I just put up with the scalp stuff. Everything got better over time but I did lose almost all my hair on my head and body hair too. 

Amy 

awillett1991
                              Participant

Paul,

Amy 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics