The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sad news

Forums General Melanoma Community Sad news

Participant

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate BB in which to post some sad news. I think my father was active on this website, especially while he was going through his treatments for melanoma. (This is his son, posting via his account.)

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate BB in which to post some sad news. I think my father was active on this website, especially while he was going through his treatments for melanoma. (This is his son, posting via his account.)

My father passed away last weekend from a heart issue unrelated to his melanoma or its treatment. Our family history is one of poor heart health, and my father had a longer life than both his dad & his older brother who died in their 50s. At my father's memorial service on Thursday, his oncologist spoke with my mother about my dad. My mom thanked her effusively for the treatment and making him 90% cancer free. The doctor corrected her, & said my dad beat cancer. His legacy will live on too. She told my mother that the clinical trial in which he was a participant was so successful that it will be submitted for FDA approval next year. His results will be included. Hopefully his legacy can live on in future patients beating melanoma with the drugs developed by Moffitt's researchers!

I want to thank all of you who supported my father through this forum over the last four years. Family support is wonderful in times of need, but sometimes the support of those who've walked in your shoes is even better. Going through his recent posts, I see that he gave as much as he received. I wish you all well in your continued recovery & an NED diagnosis in your future!

Sincerely,

Ben James, son of Daniel H. James

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sunsentinel/obituary.aspx?n=Daniel-James&pid=166425070

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

casagrayson
          Participant

casagrayson
            Participant

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Thank you for the information.  I too know the pain of a Fathers death from heart problems.  I spoke with your father several times. We appreciate the people that participate in trials  They help gain the information need to get others to a better place in this fight. He reminded me of another Man I met on here.  The other man told me that he refused to let Melanoma win and take him.  He faught well and his heart is what finally got him, the Mel.didn't win, he did!  YOu have our thanks and your Father had our respect.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Thank you for the information.  I too know the pain of a Fathers death from heart problems.  I spoke with your father several times. We appreciate the people that participate in trials  They help gain the information need to get others to a better place in this fight. He reminded me of another Man I met on here.  The other man told me that he refused to let Melanoma win and take him.  He faught well and his heart is what finally got him, the Mel.didn't win, he did!  YOu have our thanks and your Father had our respect.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

kwb
                    Participant

So sorry for your loss.  It is, however, encouraging to know that more clinicals will perhaps help folks like myself (Stage IV) and others beat this disease.  I'm also glad that your dad had a "community" here to feel part of.

BTW – I like the avatar (I'm a Gator as well).

KB

kwb
                      Participant

So sorry for your loss.  It is, however, encouraging to know that more clinicals will perhaps help folks like myself (Stage IV) and others beat this disease.  I'm also glad that your dad had a "community" here to feel part of.

KB

kwb
                        Participant

KB

Bubbles
                          Participant
                            Ohhhh, I am so sorry. I liked your father very much from his posts and a bond we shared being in the same trial. I liked his moniker and the fact that he seemed to have the same approach to being a rattie in a trial that I have. His gift to everyone with melanoma was very real and I for one will never forget him. His data will live forever, and most certainly give longer lives to others. I wish you and your family my best and I will keep your father in my heart. Yours, celeste
                            Bubbles
                            Participant
                              Ohhhh, I am so sorry. I liked your father very much from his posts and a bond we shared being in the same trial. I liked his moniker and the fact that he seemed to have the same approach to being a rattie in a trial that I have. His gift to everyone with melanoma was very real and I for one will never forget him. His data will live forever, and most certainly give longer lives to others. I wish you and your family my best and I will keep your father in my heart. Yours, celeste
                              Bubbles
                              Participant
                                WendyPam
                                Participant

Hi Ben,

Just like you I lost my Mom to melanoma several months back. Your post made my heart feel heavy. Your Dad was once  a patient of Dr. Lutzky in Miami. The same center my Mom went to as well. I'm so happy that your Dad got to be a part of you becoming a Dad like my Mom got to see me become a Mother.

Take care of yourself and send your Mom a hug from me. 

Wishing you the best during this difficult time.

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                  Participant

Hi Ben,

Just like you I lost my Mom to melanoma several months back. Your post made my heart feel heavy. Your Dad was once  a patient of Dr. Lutzky in Miami. The same center my Mom went to as well. I'm so happy that your Dad got to be a part of you becoming a Dad like my Mom got to see me become a Mother.

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                    Participant

Hi Ben,

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                      Participant

Hi Ben,

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                        Participant

Hi Ben,

Regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                                          Participant

Hi Ben,

Regards,

Wendy

melissa ann
                                            Participant
                                              Ben, thank you for letting all of us know. I am so sorry to hear this. Your dad and I emailed several times and he was very helpful to us regarding his experience with treatment. My husband greatly appreciated his kindness. Our best to you and your family. Peace, Melissa
                                              melissa ann
                                              Participant
                                                Ben, thank you for letting all of us know. I am so sorry to hear this. Your dad and I emailed several times and he was very helpful to us regarding his experience with treatment. My husband greatly appreciated his kindness. Our best to you and your family. Peace, Melissa
                                                melissa ann
                                                Participant
                                                  POW
                                                  Participant

Ben, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your father. I can't believe the unfairness of it all! Here he beats back melanoma with such strength and grace only to be taken from you all by another disease entirely! I truly admired Dan's honesty and wisdom and the way he so generously shared his knowledge with the rest of us. He seemed to be a man at peace with himself who truly loved his family and reveled in his new grandson. Not everyone can say as much. 

POW
                                                    Participant

Ben, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your father. I can't believe the unfairness of it all! Here he beats back melanoma with such strength and grace only to be taken from you all by another disease entirely! I truly admired Dan's honesty and wisdom and the way he so generously shared his knowledge with the rest of us. He seemed to be a man at peace with himself who truly loved his family and reveled in his new grandson. Not everyone can say as much. 

POW
                                                      Participant

Tina D
                                                        Participant

I am very sorry for your loss. It is incredibly thoughtful of you to take the time to post this here for us. Your Dad obviously helped make a difference in the future of treatments for melanoma, and many people will benefit from these new treatments. Thank you for posting, and I hope you and your loved ones find much support and comfort in the coming days.

Tina

Tina D
                                                          Participant

I am very sorry for your loss. It is incredibly thoughtful of you to take the time to post this here for us. Your Dad obviously helped make a difference in the future of treatments for melanoma, and many people will benefit from these new treatments. Thank you for posting, and I hope you and your loved ones find much support and comfort in the coming days.

Tina

Tina D
                                                            Participant

Tina

aldakota22
                                                              Participant

Very sorry for your loss.Always read your dads post.Very interesting fellow. In my prayers but for a different reason now. we will Beat the Beast some day soon.    Al

aldakota22
                                                                Participant

Very sorry for your loss.Always read your dads post.Very interesting fellow. In my prayers but for a different reason now. we will Beat the Beast some day soon.    Al

aldakota22
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics