The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

running with metastatic melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community running with metastatic melanoma

• Replies
      Bubbles
      Participant
        Wow! Great share, Edwin! I too ran through Stage III and IV mel as well as 2 1/2 years of nivo. (Not to mention the fun life and times of post Ex-goblet cell adenocarcinoma of the appendix and 3 months of old school chemo!) It is not always easy. It is not always fun. It is not a matter of how far or how fast I run – beyond how I challenge myself. I am certain keeping up the fight and my strength in this way has enabled me to continue to be here! As counter-intuitive as it may seem (especially in the middle of a long hard run!!!) – exercise has been proven to GIVE us energy and decrease fatigue overall. It is hard to face running when you are feeling tired. But, I encourage folks to give exercise a try. Do stretches while sitting, until you can do more. Take a walk. Just to the mailbox at first. Each step counts. It really will make you feel better, sleep better, and be less tired in general. As ever, the best part of running? Stopping! HA! Keep running, Edwin! Hang tough, all of you. Celeste
        gopher38
        Participant
          Great article. Along those lines, you might have seen the reports around Gabe Grunewald here in MN (https://bravelikegabe.org/). Another testament to the power of running (exercise in general, or even broader, keeping as active as possible).
          I’d been running between 3 and 7 days per week for the better part of 40 years, when I got my stage 3 dx and started immunotherapy. Kept running through the first six months of it, but started getting really bad shortness of breath during the runs, which eventually forced me to stop. Have been able to keep biking though. Pretty long rides too (40+). Have been trying to get back into running since stopping the immunotherapy ~ 5 months ago, but still not able to go more than a mile or so before the wheezing and shortness of breath kick in. Will keep trying though.
            Edwin
            Participant
              I have been running for 38 years except for 5 months in 2016. Trying to run was too painful from February to July in 2016 due to melanoma in my bones. I thought that I would probably never run again. I was able to bicycle from May to July that year. On May 26, 2019 I ran the MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association) Mississippi 10 Mile in St Paul in 1:26:48.
            lkb
            Participant
              Movement always helps me. Definitely gives me energy, never regret it.
              AMcReader
              Participant
                I’m not a runner anymore but I do believe that exercise and movement has been a huge part of how I’ve been able to fight this beast and deal with the side effects! Thank you for sharing!
                jbronicki
                Participant
                  You are pretty amazing Edwin! No joke, you do more with a debilitating disease and keep on running! As Forrest Gump said “”That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run” and kept on running!
                  MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Brother Edwin! Long see no time! You know you should NEVER run with either scissors, your favorite cocktail or Melanoma! To risky! Keep the faith bro!
                Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics