The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ringing In Ears

Forums General Melanoma Community Ringing In Ears

Participant

Ok, so I have had VERY loud ringing in my ears for almost 2 months now. I've dealth with tinnitus in the past but never to this extent. I noticed the ringing start after a cold I had at the end of January, so I figure it is from that. Had my onc check my ears when I saw her a few weeks ago, she said they looked good, no infection. 

Of course one thing that comes up when you search ringing in ears for causation is brain tumor. I'm sure that's not the case for me, but with the whole melanoma thing, it makes me have to think about it a tiny bit. Has anyone had any experience with ringing in their ears.. like really loud, can't fall asleep at night, hard to hear, type ringing? If so, what have you done to lessen it, if that is possible? And, has anyone had experience with a brain met causing ringing?

I've been taking Lipo-Flavonoid pills since I've used it in the past to stop tinnitus and it worked before. It is doing absolutely nothing now. It is a mix of different vitamins that is suppose to help whatever causes tinnitus. 

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi jenn,

i suffer from sinus issues a lot and ringing in my left ear a lot. I take meds for it which helps a little. 

I had my scan results last week stable in liver , lungs but found 4mm spot on brain. I am having Gamma knife next Sunday for this. praying they will get it. I cannot give experience on brain mets has I just been told I have one but not had any issues to make me even think I had one either.

if you are worried talk to your cancer nurse or doctor they should check things due to your situation with melanoma if it is bothering you.

I am sure it's nothing to worry about , hope every thing eles ok , take care hun

scooby123❤️

jennunicorn
            Participant

Thanks Scooby, I hope that radiation takes care of it for you.

Sending my best wishes it goes well.

jennunicorn
              Participant

jennunicorn
                Participant

Scooby123
                Participant

Hi jenn,

i suffer from sinus issues a lot and ringing in my left ear a lot. I take meds for it which helps a little. 

I had my scan results last week stable in liver , lungs but found 4mm spot on brain. I am having Gamma knife next Sunday for this. praying they will get it. I cannot give experience on brain mets has I just been told I have one but not had any issues to make me even think I had one either.

if you are worried talk to your cancer nurse or doctor they should check things due to your situation with melanoma if it is bothering you.

I am sure it's nothing to worry about , hope every thing eles ok , take care hun

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                  Participant

Hi jenn,

scooby123❤️

Mat
                    Participant

Jenn, I'm a big proponent of pushing for routine brain MRIs, at least for Stage IV.  At Stage IIIB, you're not so far removed (sorry).  To me, the downside of an unaddressed brain tumor is an unacceptable risk and should justify your onc pushing on your insurer for approval, even if there is a somewhat lower probability that it is a brain tumor.

Mat
                      Participant

Jenn, I'm a big proponent of pushing for routine brain MRIs, at least for Stage IV.  At Stage IIIB, you're not so far removed (sorry).  To me, the downside of an unaddressed brain tumor is an unacceptable risk and should justify your onc pushing on your insurer for approval, even if there is a somewhat lower probability that it is a brain tumor.

jennunicorn
                          Participant

I definitely agree with that, Mat, thank you. I emailed my onc to see what she says about the ringing being possibly linked to a brain met. The nurse replied saying that Ipi could be causing inflammation creating the ringing. That's another possibility. Waiting to hear what my onc says. But, I would probably feel most comfortable getting a brain MRI to rule out the worst case senario. 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

I definitely agree with that, Mat, thank you. I emailed my onc to see what she says about the ringing being possibly linked to a brain met. The nurse replied saying that Ipi could be causing inflammation creating the ringing. That's another possibility. Waiting to hear what my onc says. But, I would probably feel most comfortable getting a brain MRI to rule out the worst case senario. 

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Mat
                              Participant

katie1
                                Participant

My husband developed ringing in his ears when his hormones (likely Cortisol) dropped from ipi induced hypophysitis. If your hormone levels haven't been checked recently that might be something else to check 

Best

Kate

katie1
                                  Participant

My husband developed ringing in his ears when his hormones (likely Cortisol) dropped from ipi induced hypophysitis. If your hormone levels haven't been checked recently that might be something else to check 

Best

Kate

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

They were normal a few weeks ago, I will mention that to my onc, thank you!

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

katie1
                                          Participant

Best

Kate

Lil0909
                                            Participant

this prob isn't your problem, but just wanted to offer another possible solution, especially b/c you mentioned that you had a cold.  While on treatment, I had ear pain and ringing due to congestion.  Basically, I was so congested that fluid was building up behind my ears.  Dr. also took a look and said no infection, just congestion, not sure what makes it look different.  I regularly take zyrtec for congestion, but added sudafed to alleviate this issue.  It took a few days of sudafed before the issue subsided, but it did help.  Good luck!!

Lil0909
                                              Participant

this prob isn't your problem, but just wanted to offer another possible solution, especially b/c you mentioned that you had a cold.  While on treatment, I had ear pain and ringing due to congestion.  Basically, I was so congested that fluid was building up behind my ears.  Dr. also took a look and said no infection, just congestion, not sure what makes it look different.  I regularly take zyrtec for congestion, but added sudafed to alleviate this issue.  It took a few days of sudafed before the issue subsided, but it did help.  Good luck!!

Lil0909
                                                Participant

DZnDef
                                                  Participant

Tinnitus is tough.  Mine first started at age 29 as part of my Ménière's disease (21 years ago).  It was Very loud (like a jet engine) and would also fluctuate making it hard to get used to and very hard to sleep.  I don't have advice for you on how to eliminate it, but for sleeping, you might try a white noise machine.  The tinnitus is worse and most distracting in quiet.  With white noise (ocean waves, babbling brook, etc.) the tinnitus is less noticeable and you can sleep.  Hopefully, you will be able to get rid of it completely, but in the meantime this could at least help you catch up on some needed sleep.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                    Participant

Tinnitus is tough.  Mine first started at age 29 as part of my Ménière's disease (21 years ago).  It was Very loud (like a jet engine) and would also fluctuate making it hard to get used to and very hard to sleep.  I don't have advice for you on how to eliminate it, but for sleeping, you might try a white noise machine.  The tinnitus is worse and most distracting in quiet.  With white noise (ocean waves, babbling brook, etc.) the tinnitus is less noticeable and you can sleep.  Hopefully, you will be able to get rid of it completely, but in the meantime this could at least help you catch up on some needed sleep.  Good luck!

Cheers,

Maggie

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

Thank you Maggie, I have noticed I am quite irritable these days if the TV or some other noise isn't happening and all I am hearing is the ringing. I really hope it goes away soon, I'll be seeing an ear nose and throat doctor this week to see what he says. Thanks for the advice!

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Thank you Maggie, I have noticed I am quite irritable these days if the TV or some other noise isn't happening and all I am hearing is the ringing. I really hope it goes away soon, I'll be seeing an ear nose and throat doctor this week to see what he says. Thanks for the advice!

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

DZnDef
                                                            Participant

Cheers,

Maggie

kylez
                                                              Participant

Jenn, dunno if I should mention my experience with ear ringing to unnecessarily freak you out. My experience was very different in duration of time — 4 or 5 hours, vs. months in your case. 

What happened to me was one morning I was woken clear out of my sleep by a sudden, very loud ringing in my ears. It went away in a couple of hours I think, and everything seemed normal till I shortly after I got to work. All of a sudden I couldn't do tasks like use my email. I think I got stuck on one message for 10 minutes. Took me awhile longer to understand there was a problem happening. As it turned out, the ringing likely came from a 3cm right temporal lobe tumor they found later that day in the ER, and the confusion from that plus a 3cm left parietal lobe tumor.

So it is possible that ear ringing can be caused by pressure from a tumor. As could be just about any other neurological symptom possible. But again, the way that ear ringing presented for me (4 or 5 hours before everything fell apart) sounds *very different* than the months of duration you're talking about. 

kylez
                                                                Participant

Jenn, dunno if I should mention my experience with ear ringing to unnecessarily freak you out. My experience was very different in duration of time — 4 or 5 hours, vs. months in your case. 

What happened to me was one morning I was woken clear out of my sleep by a sudden, very loud ringing in my ears. It went away in a couple of hours I think, and everything seemed normal till I shortly after I got to work. All of a sudden I couldn't do tasks like use my email. I think I got stuck on one message for 10 minutes. Took me awhile longer to understand there was a problem happening. As it turned out, the ringing likely came from a 3cm right temporal lobe tumor they found later that day in the ER, and the confusion from that plus a 3cm left parietal lobe tumor.

So it is possible that ear ringing can be caused by pressure from a tumor. As could be just about any other neurological symptom possible. But again, the way that ear ringing presented for me (4 or 5 hours before everything fell apart) sounds *very different* than the months of duration you're talking about. 

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

Thank you for sharing your story. It does seem quite different duration wise, and I haven't experienced anything else that would suggest brain met. But, can't totally rule it out anymore. My onc said she'll schedule me an MRI if it persists or gets worse in the next few weeks. First I'll see an ENT doctor to have my ears looked at for fluid build up or any other cause for ringing.

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

Thank you for sharing your story. It does seem quite different duration wise, and I haven't experienced anything else that would suggest brain met. But, can't totally rule it out anymore. My onc said she'll schedule me an MRI if it persists or gets worse in the next few weeks. First I'll see an ENT doctor to have my ears looked at for fluid build up or any other cause for ringing.

jennunicorn
                                                                        Participant

kylez
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics