The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Results from my first scan for BRAF GSK113929 study

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Results from my first scan for BRAF GSK113929 study

Participant

This is going to be an essay, so apologies in advance…

At the start of March, I started feeling not so fantastic. Nauseous, abdo pain, and these little nodules started popping up at a rate of knots on my neck/clavicle and scalp- "Hold the phone! That can't be good!!" Off to see my GP, and in for a CT which discovered subq's in the abdo, one of which had completely blocked a ureter *rolls eyes* Drama, drama… off to have a stent inserted, then off to Sydney to aim for a brain met trial- 2 weeks later I was enrolled onto the GSK113929 study. Finally!!

This is going to be an essay, so apologies in advance…

At the start of March, I started feeling not so fantastic. Nauseous, abdo pain, and these little nodules started popping up at a rate of knots on my neck/clavicle and scalp- "Hold the phone! That can't be good!!" Off to see my GP, and in for a CT which discovered subq's in the abdo, one of which had completely blocked a ureter *rolls eyes* Drama, drama… off to have a stent inserted, then off to Sydney to aim for a brain met trial- 2 weeks later I was enrolled onto the GSK113929 study. Finally!!

(I didn't even ask what the scan results showed at the time. I made the executive decision that the study was either going to work, or it wasn't, and I could probably do without stressing the 'details' of what was going on in my body. It turned out to be the right choice for me on that occasion as my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read the scan results from the study almost 4 weeks later.)

After a mere 3 days on the study, the nodules around my neck & clavicle had virtually disappeared and the ones on my scalp were reducing in size and pain (I thought my tumours must be making me hallucinate- how could it possibly act THIS quickly?!?). They had been hoping to be able to remove and biopsy several of the subq's and nodules to perform additional research on the effect of the drug, however within 2 weeks they no longer had any of the palpable or visible areas to choose from.

SCAN RESULTS (2 pages- impossible to condense)

MRI- Multiple underlying enhancing bilateral cerebral lesions however most have reduced in size. Left frontal from 14x12mm down to 5x5mm. Left parietal from 12x12mm down to 6x6mm. Right parietal from 11×9 down to 6x5mm. Some of the smaller lesions are no longer visible and this includes the previously demonstrated cerebellar lesions (of which I was blissfully ignorant! :D)

Dominant lesion in right basal ganglia may be slghtly larger at 23x21mm from 20×18 (note from me: THIS lesion had been previously zapped with SRS and I frequesntly seem to have some small growth following several months after SRS which often stabilises and then begins to reduce)

OVERALL: Reduction in size and in some cases resolution of many of the multiple cerebral and cerebellar metastases.

CT: Chest- reduction in size of right upper paratracheal nodule, down to 4mm from 11mm previously. No suspicious intrapulmonary mass.

Abdo & Pelvis: There remain 3 focal liver lesions (Really? I was blissfully ignorant of that, too! :D) One has reduced from 21x18mm down to 14x10mm. Another is persisting at 19x18mm, as does onea small lesion at 9x9mm. There has been a reduction in the right adrenal mass, and reduction in hydronephrosis.

OVERALL: there has been dramatic subtotal resolution of the previously demonstrated innumerabel subcutaneous nodules and significant reduction in size of the paratracheal and axillary lymph nodes, although only slight reduction in the size of the liver lesions.

And how could I forget the indignity of a "persisting nodule in the right flank, reduced from 19x11mm down to 11x7mm." One in my right butt cheek. Pffft! Perhaps I shouldn't have tempted melanoma by telling me consistently that it can kiss my butt cheek, eh? 😛

Back in another month for more scans and a chat with the docs.

SIDE EFFECTS: Sore/painful soles of the feet. Were it not for that I'd be tempted to be training for a half-marathon I feel so good otherwise. Am off pain meds completely (fentanyl) and currently weaning of the steroids dex/decadron. And stent should be out in a few weeks when I catch up with uroogist. Now, after a hectic 6 weeks away, I'm going to sit on MY lounge and catch up on some tele and veg out completely.

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • Replies
        MaryD
        Participant

What fantastic and encouraging news!!!   I'm so happy for you and you so deserve to be able to veg out and do whatever you want.!

Sending good though that the the shrinking continues!!

Best regards,

Mary

MaryD
          Participant

What fantastic and encouraging news!!!   I'm so happy for you and you so deserve to be able to veg out and do whatever you want.!

Sending good though that the the shrinking continues!!

Best regards,

Mary

Harry in Fair Oaks
            Participant

That's fantastic news!  I hope the next set of scans shows even more "resolution."

I just started a BRAF/MEK combo trial last week, and your post is just the thing I wanted to hear.  Thanks!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

That's fantastic news!  I hope the next set of scans shows even more "resolution."

I just started a BRAF/MEK combo trial last week, and your post is just the thing I wanted to hear.  Thanks!

Best wishes,

Harry

shellebrownies
                Participant

That's fantastic news! I am so happy for you! Here's hoping that continued time shrinks them even more! My husband is waiting with baited breath for his BRAF results so that he might qualify for a trial available in our area. 

It's always encouraging to hear of people responding to treatments. : )

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

shellebrownies
                  Participant

That's fantastic news! I am so happy for you! Here's hoping that continued time shrinks them even more! My husband is waiting with baited breath for his BRAF results so that he might qualify for a trial available in our area. 

It's always encouraging to hear of people responding to treatments. : )

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

That's really wonderful!! Thanks for sharing your remarkable results!

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

That's really wonderful!! Thanks for sharing your remarkable results!

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

Bonnie Lea
                        Participant

Dear Dear Nic

Not totally  understanding this, but I am sooooo happy that all the disappearing and shrinking and no pain meds, and weaning off steroids is happening to you.

No marathoning just yet, but I love the idea of your lounge and just relaxing and know that things are so much better-er-er than before.  Like it or not, to me you are an inspiration!

Bonnie Lea

Bonnie Lea
                          Participant

Dear Dear Nic

Not totally  understanding this, but I am sooooo happy that all the disappearing and shrinking and no pain meds, and weaning off steroids is happening to you.

No marathoning just yet, but I love the idea of your lounge and just relaxing and know that things are so much better-er-er than before.  Like it or not, to me you are an inspiration!

Bonnie Lea

lhaley
                            Participant

Nic,

What totally fantastic news! A toast to you that mel will continue to disappear from your body and let you go on enjoying your little girl.

I will learn from you and never tell mel to kiss my @%%!

Thanks for sharing with everyone and spreading hope and happiness.

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Nic,

What totally fantastic news! A toast to you that mel will continue to disappear from your body and let you go on enjoying your little girl.

I will learn from you and never tell mel to kiss my @%%!

Thanks for sharing with everyone and spreading hope and happiness.

Linda

dian in spokane
                                Participant

Nic! this sounds like pretty good news overall.

are you exhausted???

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

Nic! this sounds like pretty good news overall.

are you exhausted???

KatyWI
                                    Participant

What fantastic news!!  You can write that kind of essay any time.

Overjoyed for you,

KatyWI

KatyWI
                                      Participant

What fantastic news!!  You can write that kind of essay any time.

Overjoyed for you,

KatyWI

jag
                                        Participant

Nic, I think you are a honeybadger-rubber ball mix, to be honest.  You fight through anything, you never get down, and you spring back so fast, that I have come to expect you to recover from virtually everything.   

God Bless 

John 

Vermont_Donna
                                            Participant

Wow, I have been wondering how you have been doing and you have quite a journey as always!!! but you keep on keeping on, and getting right on top of symptoms and tests and treatments and have such fantastic results like this….keep it up!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                                              Participant

Wow, I have been wondering how you have been doing and you have quite a journey as always!!! but you keep on keeping on, and getting right on top of symptoms and tests and treatments and have such fantastic results like this….keep it up!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

jag
                                              Participant

Nic, I think you are a honeybadger-rubber ball mix, to be honest.  You fight through anything, you never get down, and you spring back so fast, that I have come to expect you to recover from virtually everything.   

God Bless 

John 

mrsmarilyn
                                                Participant

That is Awesome!  WOW!  My brother on GSK/MEK – just went through a very painful first two months.  He had to take pain relieft -I am not sure what he took-but his whole body was in pain.  BUT-he golfed all day yesterday!!!  Yippeee! The pain went away.  He is back in action -and feeling great.  He goes to Nashville for scan on Wednesday-And we are looking for a NED real soon!

Glad you decided to veg out — you deserve it and keep me posted on your excellent results!

enjoy the summer!

Mrs Marilyn

Sister of Gary Stage IV

mrsmarilyn
                                                  Participant

That is Awesome!  WOW!  My brother on GSK/MEK – just went through a very painful first two months.  He had to take pain relieft -I am not sure what he took-but his whole body was in pain.  BUT-he golfed all day yesterday!!!  Yippeee! The pain went away.  He is back in action -and feeling great.  He goes to Nashville for scan on Wednesday-And we are looking for a NED real soon!

Glad you decided to veg out — you deserve it and keep me posted on your excellent results!

enjoy the summer!

Mrs Marilyn

Sister of Gary Stage IV

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics