The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Results from 1st scan after starting Nivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Results from 1st scan after starting Nivo

Participant
      My dad had his 3rd seizure 10 days ago and just got out of the hospital today.

Thursday they decided to do the 1st scan after starting treatment. He has had 4 infusions of Opdivo so far. The scan was originally scheduled for the 25th, but with this latest development they moved it up.

Scan showed OVERALL IMPROVEMENT compared to the last scan! One tumor was slightly bigger but the doctor said this is possibly pseudo progression since the rest were smaller. She did mention possible minor bleeding as another reason. She did not seem concerned and we will continue treatment with Opdivo.

The neurologist said the tumors looked “diffuse” on the scan. What could this mean??

I assume this is good news right?? ๐Ÿ™‚
      I was not expecting much since it has only been 7 weeks since start of treatment. Would have been happy with stable at this point.

Does this improvement of the tumors mean that the therapy is working? Could you really see results this soon?

Annie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        keepthefaith11
        Participant
          Should add that he has 13 tumors in his brain originally ranging from 2-13 mm. Mostly on the left side.

They also said that the swelling in the brain was down.

Annie

keepthefaith11
          Participant
            Should add that he has 13 tumors in his brain originally ranging from 2-13 mm. Mostly on the left side.

Annie

keepthefaith11
            Participant

Annie

snow white
              Participant

WOW!!!! That is such fantastic news!!!!  Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.  This is encouraging to me, as my dad is also doing Opdivo, will have his second dose tomorrow.  We have been told that he won't get any scans for 6 more weeks ๐Ÿ™  and that they won't do a Brain MRI until January, I am not happy about that.

Congrats to your Dad, sounds like a real fighter!

keepthefaith11
                  Participant
                    Thanks Jennifer! Yes, it feels like a positive thing for sure. Things have been so difficult lately that we needed this. I guess their protocol where he lives is to do four Infusions, which he has had, and then do a full body scan. He won’t have his fifth infusion until the body scan is done. It is scheduled for next Wednesday. The brain MRI was originally scheduled for next week as well. That would have been 9 weeks since starting treatment. Maybe that is about the same timing as your dad’s schedule? I personally felt scanning after 7 weeks would not have shown much improvement. But I guess I was wrong.
                    Of course, now the next hurdle is to get through the full body scan. So far it has been clear. The anxiety continues…

He is slowly getting his speech back, but still has a long way to go. He messes up words and it’s kind of sounds like a foreign language at times. But he is in good spirits and even laughs about it.
                    His attitude is absolutely amazing. I have no idea how he does it.

How is your dad feeling after the first infusion?

Annie

keepthefaith11
                    Participant
                      Thanks Jennifer! Yes, it feels like a positive thing for sure. Things have been so difficult lately that we needed this. I guess their protocol where he lives is to do four Infusions, which he has had, and then do a full body scan. He won’t have his fifth infusion until the body scan is done. It is scheduled for next Wednesday. The brain MRI was originally scheduled for next week as well. That would have been 9 weeks since starting treatment. Maybe that is about the same timing as your dad’s schedule? I personally felt scanning after 7 weeks would not have shown much improvement. But I guess I was wrong.
                      Of course, now the next hurdle is to get through the full body scan. So far it has been clear. The anxiety continues…

He is slowly getting his speech back, but still has a long way to go. He messes up words and it’s kind of sounds like a foreign language at times. But he is in good spirits and even laughs about it.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                      Participant

Annie

snow white
                      Participant

WOW!!!! That is such fantastic news!!!!  Sounds like you are heading in the right direction.  This is encouraging to me, as my dad is also doing Opdivo, will have his second dose tomorrow.  We have been told that he won't get any scans for 6 more weeks ๐Ÿ™  and that they won't do a Brain MRI until January, I am not happy about that.

snow white
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics