The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Remission!

Forums General Melanoma Community Remission!

Participant

Yes, my oncologist mentioned that word yesterday.  Then he backed off as I still have a couple of tiny spots in my left lung but he described them as likely remnants/scarring.  The brain is completely clear of visibly detectable mets as of yesterday's ct w and w/o contrast.  No new spots anywhere.  I celebrated yesterday with a chocolate milkshake.  However, I am really having difficulty absorbing this news.  The doctor's office is not where I am used to hearing good things.  I handle bad news quite well (lots of practice) but I just don't trust good news.  My labs aren't back yet so maybe there's something there.

I am also in a somewhat awkward position as we have no idea whether I am a responder to Keytruda or not.  This could all be Tafinlar/Mekenist.  In any event, I have been given a second reprieve from this disease (the first being my good scans three months ago).  I will have to learn to accept it.  Time to focus on rehab for my lingering brain damage (I walk just like a toddler.  I have newfound respect for toddlers.  Learning to balance is hard!)

So after five years at Stage IV, the beast is on the run!  Life is good, and longer than I was expecting!  Sweet!

I hope you all hear good news at your next appointment!

Cheers!

Maggie

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Wow Maggie – this made me cry but these are tears of joy for sure!! So pleased for you and may this last forever!!! Best wishes always!

Barb

DZnDef
            Participant

Thank you, Barb.  I am glad your sister is doing so well, too.  I'm hoping she gets the all clear next time for the liver and spleen.  What an amazing time we live in.

Cheers,

Maggie

betsyl
            Participant

Excellent! Congratulations!

Enjoy,

Betsy

DZnDef
                Participant

Thanks, Betsy!  That's my sister's name too.  Great name!

Cheers,

Maggie

DZnDef
                  Participant

Sorry, Betsy for not mentioning this before.  Congratulations to you and your husband on your recent good news.  May he continue to "suck at having cancer".

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Full on standing on the table happy dancing here!

I can't tell you how happy this makes me!

Blessings,

Julie

DZnDef
                      Participant

Thanks, Julie!  I love happy dancing!  Good luck to you this week (tomorrow?).  I hope the chemo is kind to you and gets the job done!  Thanks for your great attitude.  Even when you have bad news to share, it's uplifting to read your posts as your sheer joy of living life comes through.  I hope you are given nothing but good news by RS doc from here on out.

Cheers!

Maggie

Sharon93065
                      Participant

wow, you give the rest of us hope.  I've had my second treatment of Opdivo/Yervoi, only side effects are rash, fatique, and low TSH counts.  But the tumor in my back that they did the biopsy on, I cannot feel it anymore!

Thank you Lord!  So I just know that means the other tumors inside must be shrinking! I did not have brain lesions. Lung and lymph nodes.

DZnDef
                          Participant

I'm glad my experience could offer you some hope.  It looks like you are getting some good benefit from your treatment plan.  Keep your doctor informed about your side effects as you don't want those getting out of hand.  I am on 10mg of prednisone daily to eliminate fevers and chills.  My oncologist claims that a dosage this low will not interfere with my immunotherapy but it is enough to keep the fevers and chills away.  I can't argue with the recent results!  I'm all-in with whatever my oncologist recommends.  Congratulations on your promising results!

Cheers!

Maggie

SABKLYN
                          Participant

Awesome news!! !

Casitas1
                            Participant

Right on! Way to go….

jenny22
                              Participant

Maggie- Such fabulous news…I am soo happy for you…..lets hope what ever is working, just keeps on working….ENJOY the great news!!!!!!

So much to celebrate!!!!

Best,

Jenny

JaiLee
                                  Participant

WOW! Fantastic news!! This is exciting, and so happy whatever worked, worked!
                                    Definitely go out and celebrate 🙂 !!

Congratulations!  Keep that beast at bay and enjoy things.  I saw your reply to my MRI post.  I known just how you feel.  It's starting to be real.  Good luck with relearning balance.  I'm a bit wobbly as well.  Are you doing PT?  Just wondering as I was thinking I should do it but then I have to get my husband to drive me.

Linny
                                  Participant

Maggie,

Just go on celebrating! We all understand that bit of paranoia but your oncologist would not have mentioned remission if he or she didn't feel confident about it. 

Five years Stage IV, unknown primary, and no evidence of disease? You are doing great!!!! Congrats!!!

BrianP
                                    Participant

Great news Maggie!  Thanks for sharing. 

Brian

DZnDef
                                        Participant

Thanks, Brian.  Good to see you're still active on this site.

Cheers!

Maggie

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics