The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

(Relatively) reassuring news

Forums General Melanoma Community (Relatively) reassuring news

Participant

Got scan results back yesterday.  As good as we could have hoped realistically.  Stage 3.  Brain MRI negative.  The only tumor we found was the one that ultrasound-biopsy revealed in my left sternocleidomastoid muscle…and it was somewhat SMALLER (8mm in March, 5mm last week).  I see the surgeon tomorrow, ONC on Tuesday, and expect we'll start therapy a week from tomorrow (or sometime that week).

Life in the "New Normal":  isn't it amazing what we come to consider "good news"?

Got scan results back yesterday.  As good as we could have hoped realistically.  Stage 3.  Brain MRI negative.  The only tumor we found was the one that ultrasound-biopsy revealed in my left sternocleidomastoid muscle…and it was somewhat SMALLER (8mm in March, 5mm last week).  I see the surgeon tomorrow, ONC on Tuesday, and expect we'll start therapy a week from tomorrow (or sometime that week).

Life in the "New Normal":  isn't it amazing what we come to consider "good news"?

I hope each of us keeps getting the news we hope to hear…

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Good news brain MRI is negative and tumor is shrinking…as you say strange what is the 'new norm'…shrinking is really good…may it keep on doing so.   Val

Dynasysman
            Participant

Thanks, Val.  The only problem is that melanoma is so complex — almost like a terrorist.  It can shrink, hide, and then blast out somewhere else…so you never know if you're safe.

On the other hand, shrinking is better than growing, so I'll take it.  I suspect we'll operate to take it out before I get to learn whether it will continue to shrink, though.

Again, thanks for your good wishes.  Onward!

Dynasysman
              Participant

Thanks, Val.  The only problem is that melanoma is so complex — almost like a terrorist.  It can shrink, hide, and then blast out somewhere else…so you never know if you're safe.

On the other hand, shrinking is better than growing, so I'll take it.  I suspect we'll operate to take it out before I get to learn whether it will continue to shrink, though.

Again, thanks for your good wishes.  Onward!

ValinMtl
              Participant

Good news brain MRI is negative and tumor is shrinking…as you say strange what is the 'new norm'…shrinking is really good…may it keep on doing so.   Val

Linny
                Participant

Your comment on life in the "new normal" is spot-on.

I hope that damn tumor shrinks even more and that you recover quickly from the surgery!

Linda

Dynasysman
                    Participant

Thanks, Linda.  I realize we are both fairly recent Stage 3 MUPs.  We all need to stick together :>)

I suspect that we will take the tumor out before it gets to shrink much more.  Right now, I mostly hope the damned cells never left the basin, but we'll see.

Stay strong.  And good luck with the MAGE trial.

Dynasysman
                      Participant

Thanks, Linda.  I realize we are both fairly recent Stage 3 MUPs.  We all need to stick together :>)

I suspect that we will take the tumor out before it gets to shrink much more.  Right now, I mostly hope the damned cells never left the basin, but we'll see.

Stay strong.  And good luck with the MAGE trial.

Linny
                      Participant

Your comment on life in the "new normal" is spot-on.

I hope that damn tumor shrinks even more and that you recover quickly from the surgery!

Linda

Erinmay22
                        Participant

Glad to hear you got some 'good' news! 

Dynasysman
                            Participant

Thanks, Erin. Now I get some mental space to deal with the issues we were writing about last week:  what to say, how to say it, and what to do with the awareness we can raise.  When I have a better idea, I may seek some brainstorming support.

Erinmay22
                              Participant

Yes you get a little relief to wrap your arms around it.  First step – take care of yourself!  🙂  and yes when you're ready for brainstorming support – I'm sure there are lots who can lend some advice too 🙂 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Dynasysman
                                Participant

Yeah, well, if the US can win this soccer game, that would be a lot better…

Erinmay22
                                  Participant

ugh heartbreaker of a game…  They had it in the bag…  but guess it's a great story for Japan.

Erinmay22
                                    Participant

ugh heartbreaker of a game…  They had it in the bag…  but guess it's a great story for Japan.

Dynasysman
                                      Participant

Yeah, well, if the US can win this soccer game, that would be a lot better…

Erinmay22
                                        Participant

Yes you get a little relief to wrap your arms around it.  First step – take care of yourself!  🙂  and yes when you're ready for brainstorming support – I'm sure there are lots who can lend some advice too 🙂 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Dynasysman
                                          Participant

Thanks, Erin. Now I get some mental space to deal with the issues we were writing about last week:  what to say, how to say it, and what to do with the awareness we can raise.  When I have a better idea, I may seek some brainstorming support.

Erinmay22
                                          Participant

Glad to hear you got some 'good' news! 

lhaley
                                            Participant

Did they do an FNA? Since it's shrinking it actually might be some other type of "thingy" in your body!  But, even if it is mel it's great that it is shrinking!!

Linda

Dynasysman
                                                Participant

They started with an FNA; it's how they found the melanoma in the first place.  I also wonder whether 8mm to 5mm is actually "shrinking", which is literally true, or measurement error.

I remember a post last week when your ONC or Tumor Board or someone decided that your immune system has been doing a fairly good job so far.  So far, mine seems to be doing OK.  Let's just hope we both stay strong…

Dynasysman
                                                  Participant

They started with an FNA; it's how they found the melanoma in the first place.  I also wonder whether 8mm to 5mm is actually "shrinking", which is literally true, or measurement error.

I remember a post last week when your ONC or Tumor Board or someone decided that your immune system has been doing a fairly good job so far.  So far, mine seems to be doing OK.  Let's just hope we both stay strong…

lhaley
                                                  Participant

Did they do an FNA? Since it's shrinking it actually might be some other type of "thingy" in your body!  But, even if it is mel it's great that it is shrinking!!

Linda

Carol Taylor
                                                    Participant

"Life" in general takes on a whole new meaning. I was just reading your signature again. I'm thinking champagne & oysters sounds great in 9+ years and I hope you're making grand plans..but…I also hope you're celebrating all this good news! The world has plenty of wine & seafood! Enjoy!

Thank You Lord!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                                      Participant

"Life" in general takes on a whole new meaning. I was just reading your signature again. I'm thinking champagne & oysters sounds great in 9+ years and I hope you're making grand plans..but…I also hope you're celebrating all this good news! The world has plenty of wine & seafood! Enjoy!

Thank You Lord!

Grace and peace,

Carol

Dynasysman
                                                          Participant

Any weekend has plenty of room for celebration!  Particularly one with good news.

Thanks, Carol.

Dynasysman
                                                            Participant

Any weekend has plenty of room for celebration!  Particularly one with good news.

Thanks, Carol.

JerryfromFauq
                                                            Participant

I have the same question about size.  Dinve where you slice a ball or an egg makes a difference in the diameter.  How close are we to exactly the same place for subsequent scans?  Close or exactly the same?

Yes we hope for weird things.  I wanted the lung spots to be pneumonia – WEREN'T. 

I wanted the groin growth to be an infection -weren't.

I wanted the breast growth to be benign.  It was. 

Want different things in this "NEW NORMAL" world.

Dynasysman
                                                                Participant

Supposedly, we are comparing two identical pictures from consecutive PET-CT scans.  I'm told 8mm the first time, 5mm the second.

If it is as close as the doctor seems to have indicated, well, that's pretty damned close.  If not, well, we forge ahead.

Congrats on the breast growth.

lhaley
                                                                  Participant

I've been told that 2mm difference up or down is considered stable. This is because the way the scans slice the tumor depends on the size.  That's also why it's always good to get scans done on the same machine to help alleviate some of the deviations.

Linda

Dynasysman
                                                                    Participant

Penn used a new machine, although I am told the shots were similar (don't know what that means until I meet with doctors today and tomorrow).  New machine had one clear benefit:  body extender enabled them to do entire scan in one picture, instead of the old "you put you head in, you put your head out, you get off the table and turn yourself about…" and then repeat the process toes first.  Saved 25 minutes and was far simpler.  As to comparability of pictures, we'll learn more today…

Also, do we consider a 3mm drop stable (or am I merely splitting hairs here)?

lhaley
                                                                      Participant

I would think shrinkage but just wanted to bring up the comparing of the scans.  Sounds great about the new machine!  However, I always like the break when they turn me about and run to the bathroom!  In Charlotte they make you drink 2 bottles of water before you get to the hospital, thenn you drink 2 huge cups of contrast mixed with soda.  For me that = running to the bathroom for several hours and bathroom breaks are much appreciated!!

Linda

lhaley
                                                                        Participant

I would think shrinkage but just wanted to bring up the comparing of the scans.  Sounds great about the new machine!  However, I always like the break when they turn me about and run to the bathroom!  In Charlotte they make you drink 2 bottles of water before you get to the hospital, thenn you drink 2 huge cups of contrast mixed with soda.  For me that = running to the bathroom for several hours and bathroom breaks are much appreciated!!

Linda

Dynasysman
                                                                          Participant

Penn used a new machine, although I am told the shots were similar (don't know what that means until I meet with doctors today and tomorrow).  New machine had one clear benefit:  body extender enabled them to do entire scan in one picture, instead of the old "you put you head in, you put your head out, you get off the table and turn yourself about…" and then repeat the process toes first.  Saved 25 minutes and was far simpler.  As to comparability of pictures, we'll learn more today…

Also, do we consider a 3mm drop stable (or am I merely splitting hairs here)?

lhaley
                                                                            Participant

I've been told that 2mm difference up or down is considered stable. This is because the way the scans slice the tumor depends on the size.  That's also why it's always good to get scans done on the same machine to help alleviate some of the deviations.

Linda

Dynasysman
                                                                              Participant

Supposedly, we are comparing two identical pictures from consecutive PET-CT scans.  I'm told 8mm the first time, 5mm the second.

If it is as close as the doctor seems to have indicated, well, that's pretty damned close.  If not, well, we forge ahead.

Congrats on the breast growth.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

I have the same question about size.  Dinve where you slice a ball or an egg makes a difference in the diameter.  How close are we to exactly the same place for subsequent scans?  Close or exactly the same?

Yes we hope for weird things.  I wanted the lung spots to be pneumonia – WEREN'T. 

I wanted the groin growth to be an infection -weren't.

I wanted the breast growth to be benign.  It was. 

Want different things in this "NEW NORMAL" world.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics