The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently Diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community Recently Diagnosed

Participant
      I know melanoma is a very serious disease and my heart goes out to everyone fighting it.

About 8 years ago at age 36 I was diagnosed with a Melanoma in-situ. I had the WLE and saw my dermatologist every 6 months.

I just got a call that I have a 2nd melanoma, stage T1a.  I had a flu shot around Halloween and noticed around the shot area what looked like a hematoma. Luckily, I had my annual appointment with my dermatologist last week and he suggested a biopsy. I was really surprised it came back as melanoma. But it must have grown very quickly because it wasn’t there prior to my flu shot. I have my WLE tomorrow.

Anyways, now I’m freaking out because it’s my 2nd one.  Am I doomed to keep getting melanomas?

Also, my original biopsy did not require stitches, so I’m very concerned that my stage may change.  Has this happened to anyone? How frequent is it?

The 2nd melanoma is on my outer arm near my bicep.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ThinkingPositive
        Participant
          Hi Danielle,

Its impossible to know if you will get another melanoma. Thats why you had the regular followups with your Derm and a very good thing!

The uncertainty has been hard on me too. Three years ago I had an excision and graft for Stage 2A and every 3 month followup. Last June I found a lump in my armpit and found I had progressed to metastatic melanoma. Started Keytruda. It has been humbling to go from being very healthy (at 65 now) to having to take infusions. Maybe I took my health for granted. Now I realize many people live with an illness and still enjoy a good life while managing symptoms.

To deal with uncertainty, I found knowledge is empowering. Read through this sites and Celeste’s educational links. This forum has been very helpful for me to move through the grief of a diagnosis to living my best life in the moment.

Cindy

tkoss
          Participant
            i just finished immo therapy for 3c.  4 lymph nodes involved.

it was a breeze , mostly.  and i am NED.

the trick is to get diagnosed early and hopefully remove all tissue involved. If it has moved into the lymph nodes, opvido or keytruda should work well.

Ps…new format is new and therefore irrating.

but i do love the new edit button

Danielle T
            Participant
              Thank you everyone for responding. I had my WLE today and received my pathology.

.5mm in thickness, >=1 mitosis, no ulceration, regression, etc.

abnormal melanocytes disposed as solitary units and in nests are present within the epidermis and in the upper part of the dermis. The in-situ component extends to one lateral margin.

9 days went by from biopsy to WLE. He said it’s unlikely stage would change bc of the short amount of time, but also commented it grew rapidly so a great thing that I had a check up with my dermatologists.

I feel fortunate that my annual appointment was when it was. I’ll be going every 3 months now.

anything in the pathology I should be concerned about?

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics