The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Received great help so far – have another important question.

Forums General Melanoma Community Received great help so far – have another important question.

Participant

Hi Everyone,

After receiving so many wonderful responses to my first posting, I thought I'd ask for suggestings regarding what I think is vital to anyone fighting disease – SLEEP!!

I know I haven't had a full night's sleep in years – at this time I am taking zoplicone (I  think my body has built up a resistance to it and it's stopped working) and  I also take 1/2 tablet of melatonin about 2 hours before bed.  I work full days, try to excersise, follow all the rules.

Hi Everyone,

After receiving so many wonderful responses to my first posting, I thought I'd ask for suggestings regarding what I think is vital to anyone fighting disease – SLEEP!!

I know I haven't had a full night's sleep in years – at this time I am taking zoplicone (I  think my body has built up a resistance to it and it's stopped working) and  I also take 1/2 tablet of melatonin about 2 hours before bed.  I work full days, try to excersise, follow all the rules.

We hear so much about how important it is to get at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep each night.  Right!  I don't know how menopausal women manage.  Stress probably plays a big part in this too.

Any ideas or suggestions? 

Thanks in advance.

ValJane

I am off to work soon so probably won't respond to any posts until this evening.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I was managing sleep but having minor issues (I am post menapause) till my 3rd recurrance, then all sleep left me.  I resisted for awhile but after every Dr. I went to suggested to try a sleeping pill I relented.  I'm not sure what zoplicone is so you may already be on one. I'm taking Ambien. While it only gets me about 4 hours a night I find that I do wake up rested in the morning. For me the important thing is my mind races at night and I'm able to zone out. Sometimes in the morning I'm able to fall back to sleep!  I also stay away from caffine.

I've been taking Ambien for about a year now. 

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I was managing sleep but having minor issues (I am post menapause) till my 3rd recurrance, then all sleep left me.  I resisted for awhile but after every Dr. I went to suggested to try a sleeping pill I relented.  I'm not sure what zoplicone is so you may already be on one. I'm taking Ambien. While it only gets me about 4 hours a night I find that I do wake up rested in the morning. For me the important thing is my mind races at night and I'm able to zone out. Sometimes in the morning I'm able to fall back to sleep!  I also stay away from caffine.

I've been taking Ambien for about a year now. 

Linda

jag
            Participant

Read Something really boring(it works for me)

jag
              Participant

Read Something really boring(it works for me)

MonicaD
                Participant

Sleep is definitely key in fighting disease and keeping your immune system up!  I've been very lucky to not have many issues around sleep and am still able to get 7-8 hours of good restorative sleep usually.  As someone else suggested, avoid caffeine – I usually only have coffee in the morning and that's it and I don't drink anything else with caffeine later in the day.  You could also try meditation/breathing exercises…this could help with sleep but maybe also with stress overall.  I'm not menopausal yet, so I'm afraid I don't have any comments there, but I do agree that stress plays a big part.  Stress can also inhibit your immune system so trying to keep it to a minimum is important for many reasons…it's so hard though when we have all this stuff to think about!  You might also be able to have your doctor convert you to another medication that your body wouldn't be familiar with to see if that helps.  I hope you find something that works!  I wish I could be of more help.

Take Care,

Monica 

ValJaneMB
                    Participant

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.  I will be seeing my family Dr. on Thursday and I hope she will switch my sleeping pill.  I got into meditation and yoga when I was off work while on Interferon.  Funny how the important things seem to get forgotten when you are working full time.  Time to rethink.

Jane

ValJaneMB
                      Participant

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.  I will be seeing my family Dr. on Thursday and I hope she will switch my sleeping pill.  I got into meditation and yoga when I was off work while on Interferon.  Funny how the important things seem to get forgotten when you are working full time.  Time to rethink.

Jane

MonicaD
                      Participant

Sleep is definitely key in fighting disease and keeping your immune system up!  I've been very lucky to not have many issues around sleep and am still able to get 7-8 hours of good restorative sleep usually.  As someone else suggested, avoid caffeine – I usually only have coffee in the morning and that's it and I don't drink anything else with caffeine later in the day.  You could also try meditation/breathing exercises…this could help with sleep but maybe also with stress overall.  I'm not menopausal yet, so I'm afraid I don't have any comments there, but I do agree that stress plays a big part.  Stress can also inhibit your immune system so trying to keep it to a minimum is important for many reasons…it's so hard though when we have all this stuff to think about!  You might also be able to have your doctor convert you to another medication that your body wouldn't be familiar with to see if that helps.  I hope you find something that works!  I wish I could be of more help.

Take Care,

Monica 

Carmon in NM
                        Participant

I've been a poor sleeper all of my life due to childhood abuse so when I was diagnosed two years ago sleep disappeared entirely. I'm 57 and post menopausal too. My nutritionist put me on up to 20 mg of melatonin which was too much and I take 5-10 before bed depending on how I'm feeling. I supplement that with half a xanax if my mind is too much in 'busy mode'.

I find that protocol works really well for me to both quiet my mind and slow my pulse down so that my body can find it's way to sleep. My nutritionist says that melatonin is essential for cancer patients because our bodies need it to 'reset' our healing and recovery abilities during the night.

I hope that is helpful! Carmon

Carmon in NM
                          Participant

I've been a poor sleeper all of my life due to childhood abuse so when I was diagnosed two years ago sleep disappeared entirely. I'm 57 and post menopausal too. My nutritionist put me on up to 20 mg of melatonin which was too much and I take 5-10 before bed depending on how I'm feeling. I supplement that with half a xanax if my mind is too much in 'busy mode'.

I find that protocol works really well for me to both quiet my mind and slow my pulse down so that my body can find it's way to sleep. My nutritionist says that melatonin is essential for cancer patients because our bodies need it to 'reset' our healing and recovery abilities during the night.

I hope that is helpful! Carmon

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics