The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radio Frequency Ablation Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Radio Frequency Ablation Questions

Participant

Does anyone have any experience or insight on radio frequency ablation in melanoma?  doctors you know of doing it? trials?  Trying to deal with a likely unresectable mass high in my right axila adjacent to the transition of the subclavian and axilary veins. No other known disease at this time and looking for something to do now, even if it is not a long-term fix.  Thanks for any info you may have in advance.

Does anyone have any experience or insight on radio frequency ablation in melanoma?  doctors you know of doing it? trials?  Trying to deal with a likely unresectable mass high in my right axila adjacent to the transition of the subclavian and axilary veins. No other known disease at this time and looking for something to do now, even if it is not a long-term fix.  Thanks for any info you may have in advance.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        stillhopeful
        Participant

I know it can be done at Columbia Presbyterian and Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.  I know someone who had it done, but I have no diret experience.

K in LA
            Participant

Pretty sure my husband had this done last summer at UCLA — part of a clinical trial that combined ablation with stereotactic radiation — to treat a met. in the lung that was too close to major organs to be treated by the usual full dose of radiation alone.

The ablation was done under local anaestetic so he was awake to hold his breath at the surgeon's direction.  It WAS painful — not least becuase my husband has a tendency to undersell the level of pain he's experiencing (it turned out his 3 or 4 was everyone else's 6 or 7) so wasn't given enough morphine!!!!!

This clinical trial, if it is still open, is normally used for lung cancer & I had to fight our insurers to get it approved.  Fortunately, California law requires insurance companies to fund any clinical trial for cancer if the insured's doctor deems it "medically necessary" — this is an excellent brochure from UC Davis on the issue.  I don't know what the situation is in other states.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/cancer/clinical_trials/thebigc/pdfs/CC_Clinical_Law_Trial.pdf

K in LA
              Participant

Pretty sure my husband had this done last summer at UCLA — part of a clinical trial that combined ablation with stereotactic radiation — to treat a met. in the lung that was too close to major organs to be treated by the usual full dose of radiation alone.

The ablation was done under local anaestetic so he was awake to hold his breath at the surgeon's direction.  It WAS painful — not least becuase my husband has a tendency to undersell the level of pain he's experiencing (it turned out his 3 or 4 was everyone else's 6 or 7) so wasn't given enough morphine!!!!!

This clinical trial, if it is still open, is normally used for lung cancer & I had to fight our insurers to get it approved.  Fortunately, California law requires insurance companies to fund any clinical trial for cancer if the insured's doctor deems it "medically necessary" — this is an excellent brochure from UC Davis on the issue.  I don't know what the situation is in other states.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/cancer/clinical_trials/thebigc/pdfs/CC_Clinical_Law_Trial.pdf

stillhopeful
              Participant

I know it can be done at Columbia Presbyterian and Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.  I know someone who had it done, but I have no diret experience.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics