The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiation on spine

Forums General Melanoma Community Radiation on spine

Participant

I have had just two sessions of radiation on my spine.  Melanoma has eaten part way into the spine and also is up against the aorta????

Last night my stomach started burning and burning and couldn't get it stopped.  As I am also on light dose of chemo  I took an nauea pill as Pepsid AC, Pepto Bismo, etc.     Finally about 2:30a.m. I woke up and it had stopped.  Stomach still feels somewhat sore but don't burn.

I have had just two sessions of radiation on my spine.  Melanoma has eaten part way into the spine and also is up against the aorta????

Last night my stomach started burning and burning and couldn't get it stopped.  As I am also on light dose of chemo  I took an nauea pill as Pepsid AC, Pepto Bismo, etc.     Finally about 2:30a.m. I woke up and it had stopped.  Stomach still feels somewhat sore but don't burn.

I am due to have another treatment in about 6 hrs.  Will call Dr. soon as is early yet.    I will check this forum frequently next 4-5 hrs.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS KIND OF PROBLEM???

( i have been taking quite a bit of pain pill for the back and I do know they work on the stomach.  Appreciate any reply.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Charles,

I'm glad to hear that they finally have you on some sort of treatment, I know you have been looking for quite some time.  What kind of chemo are you on?  Good chance that is causing the heartburn. You need to talk to the nurse about interactions with food. You might just have eaten the wrong thing.

I often have assorted different pains in the abdomen area and they have found issues (not melanoma) with my gallbladder. They were trying to decide what to do when another recurrance popped up and tood top stage. 

Please keep us up to date on how  you are doing with this treatment. Make sure that the nurse knows you took the pepto ect because they might hold off todays treatment if there is a contradiction between those over the counter drugs and the chemo.  Next time call their number. They should have someone on call even in the middle of the night!

Wishing you the best,

Linda

Stage IV

Nebr78
            Participant

Cause of pain in my belly was my fault. Last 2-3 weeks I have been taking pain pills, not paying attention that stomach was empty sometimes.  Stayed off them all day and endured some pain. Better now. 12more shots of radiation and hope it stops that  junk in the  spine.

People giving me radiation are wondering why it was't started 4-5 months earlier. There is a radiologist reading scans that has problems.  I never complain about Drs. etc, but I am a little steamed now. I am in process of getting pictures of past scans now.   Thanks

nicoli
              Participant

Charles, I am so glad it was just the pain pills. It's so natural to worry about every ache and pain with this disease.

I am finishing my 29th radiation to my scalp next week. I can relate to the anger at the doctor. My surgeon (did I fire him or did he fire me? Oh well) took so long to decide on my extensive scalp surgery after a local recurrence that I too got radiation months after I should have.

I sometimes wonder if ANYONE knows what they're doing.

Nicki, stage 3b

Nebr78
                Participant

Read this folks:   Tremendous pain in belly.   Thought caused by too many Lotabs and on empty somach.   Same thing this a.m.   Wife took me to ER.

Dr. said we will empty those dam bowels out and you will feel better.   Within 2 hrs. I felt better and still do. Us old duffers and constipation.

Sorry to be so blunt but unless you are a Dr. don't analyze yourself.  Long term use of pain killers is constipating.  Anyone want to buy some Maalox, Pepcid AC, 3-4 more anti-acid stuff.

I've had this happen before  and too darn dumb to think about it. Numerous heart operations caused same thing. I am the one the have made enough money on to build one-half of a Heart Hospital in Nebraska.    Now back to the Melanoma in my spine.  Bye

nicoli
                  Participant

I had severe stomach pains last summer. Took milk of magnesia, don't remember what brand. Took more and more cuz my stomach still hurt.Then I got smart and looked that stuff up online. It CAUSES stomach problems. Magnesium overload.

Hey Neb78, glad everything came out alright!!!

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
                    Participant

I had severe stomach pains last summer. Took milk of magnesia, don't remember what brand. Took more and more cuz my stomach still hurt.Then I got smart and looked that stuff up online. It CAUSES stomach problems. Magnesium overload.

Hey Neb78, glad everything came out alright!!!

Nicki, Stage 3b

Nebr78
                      Participant

Read this folks:   Tremendous pain in belly.   Thought caused by too many Lotabs and on empty somach.   Same thing this a.m.   Wife took me to ER.

Dr. said we will empty those dam bowels out and you will feel better.   Within 2 hrs. I felt better and still do. Us old duffers and constipation.

Sorry to be so blunt but unless you are a Dr. don't analyze yourself.  Long term use of pain killers is constipating.  Anyone want to buy some Maalox, Pepcid AC, 3-4 more anti-acid stuff.

I've had this happen before  and too darn dumb to think about it. Numerous heart operations caused same thing. I am the one the have made enough money on to build one-half of a Heart Hospital in Nebraska.    Now back to the Melanoma in my spine.  Bye

nicoli
                        Participant

Charles, I am so glad it was just the pain pills. It's so natural to worry about every ache and pain with this disease.

I am finishing my 29th radiation to my scalp next week. I can relate to the anger at the doctor. My surgeon (did I fire him or did he fire me? Oh well) took so long to decide on my extensive scalp surgery after a local recurrence that I too got radiation months after I should have.

I sometimes wonder if ANYONE knows what they're doing.

Nicki, stage 3b

Nebr78
                          Participant

Cause of pain in my belly was my fault. Last 2-3 weeks I have been taking pain pills, not paying attention that stomach was empty sometimes.  Stayed off them all day and endured some pain. Better now. 12more shots of radiation and hope it stops that  junk in the  spine.

People giving me radiation are wondering why it was't started 4-5 months earlier. There is a radiologist reading scans that has problems.  I never complain about Drs. etc, but I am a little steamed now. I am in process of getting pictures of past scans now.   Thanks

lhaley
                          Participant

Charles,

I'm glad to hear that they finally have you on some sort of treatment, I know you have been looking for quite some time.  What kind of chemo are you on?  Good chance that is causing the heartburn. You need to talk to the nurse about interactions with food. You might just have eaten the wrong thing.

I often have assorted different pains in the abdomen area and they have found issues (not melanoma) with my gallbladder. They were trying to decide what to do when another recurrance popped up and tood top stage. 

Please keep us up to date on how  you are doing with this treatment. Make sure that the nurse knows you took the pepto ect because they might hold off todays treatment if there is a contradiction between those over the counter drugs and the chemo.  Next time call their number. They should have someone on call even in the middle of the night!

Wishing you the best,

Linda

Stage IV

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics