The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Quick ShoutOut

Forums General Melanoma Community Quick ShoutOut

Participant
      I need to bid farewell to Sen/Capt John McCain who like us & Jimmy Carter, also battled Melanoma as far back as the 1990’s and was able to overcome it. Of course he passed recently of Brain tumors “not” related to Melanoma. I just had to mention his name, my own father fought in Vietnam as well…
      RIP you ol’ Maverick….Mike
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Savymoo23
        Participant

Agreed, RIP to these men 

GreggL
          Participant

I never knew that his brain tumors were not related to melanoma, I always just assumed they were. I'm glad you mentioned this. 

RichInLife2
              Participant

Senator McCain died from a gioblastoma, a rare, malignant tumor of the brain that makes melanoma look like a walk in the park. Researchers are investigating if there is a link between gioblastomas and melanoma. Statistically, people who have one are more likely than the general population to have the other. Here’s hoping that research leads to progress on both fronts.

Along with others here, my thoughts go out to Senator McCain and his family. 

AN8
              Participant

Yes, to my knowledge he had 4 occurences.  3 superficial spreading and 1 on his face that was invasive enough they checked his lymph nodes.  The nodes were clear and the brain cancer was not related to Melanoma as Mike mentioned.  Much respect for him and his service to this country.  His reflection of his 5 1/2 years as a POW makes you wonder how he even survived then sadly get hit with Melanoma and brain cancer later in life.  Trickle down effects from the war?  Who knows.  Cancer just sucks.

bjeans
                Participant

Thank you for posting, Mike. Among other things (like being a hero), he was an aisle crosser, rare these days.   And I hope your dad is doing well – tough times. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics