The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Questions about joint issues while on nivo/yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Questions about joint issues while on nivo/yervoy

Participant
      I unfortunately made the jump from 3C to stage 4 last week (mets in my lungs, lymph nodes and the psoas muscle). I had a 4.3mm removed from behind my left knee last april. I had one lymph node that had meI in it and started nivo once a month in June. I had a pet scan in December that came back clear. Only side effects I had from the nivo was fatigue and polymyalgia rheumatica like symptoms (extremely sore shoulders, upper arms and hips). My rheumatologist had me do an mri on the off chance I had joint issues. I’m glad she ordered it, otherwise it would have been another month and a half for my next scan.

My oncologist is gonna start yervoy along with nivo at my next nivo infusion. I’ve read about joint pain / issues while on the yervoy/nivo combo. I guess my question is for anyone who had the joint issues / pain while on the combo. How debilitating was the joint pain? I’m used to the joint pain from the pmr, I’m just wondering how much more the combo will heap on..

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hi Bruce,

I took nivo as a single agent, not the combo…but didn’t want to leave you hanging. S0 – in my 10 years as a Stage IV melanoma patient and researcher here’s my take:

Arthritic type joint pain is very common as a side effect from immunotherapy of all stripes. Still, the presence of that sort of pain and the degree to which it is experienced varies a great deal person to person. Some folks push through it using NSAIDs. Some folks need stronger pain relievers. Some folks have to stop therapy and even require treatment with remicaid, etc. Others have little to no joint issues. Here are scattered reports on joint pain in particular: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=joint+pain

Sadly, given the vagaries of these responses, you won’t know how immunotherapy is going to affect you until you try it. Sorry there is nothing more definitive that I can offer. But, forewarned is forearmed and I bet you can handle whatever is thrown your way. I wish you my best. Celeste

MelMel
          Participant
            I can completely relate however being that the pain became much more severe, three months after receiving Opdivo, I am certain it is to blame. Initially, I was on a combo. While it may be only my personal experience, adding Yervoy is unlikely to make your arthraglias worse. In either case, I would be more concerned about the other side effects you may experience.
            Good luck with the new treatment.
            Melanie
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics