The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question – why do they test for HLA?

Forums General Melanoma Community Question – why do they test for HLA?

Participant

As I mentioned previously, Dave went down to NIH and did not qualify for their TIL study.  However, they did test him for HLA – which I know was to see if he qualified for the ESO and MAGE trials.  However, I don't understand what purpose HLA has in melanoma treatment.  I know for the ESO and MAGE trials, they extracted the white blood cells from your blood stream, which is different then the TIL study (they use actual tumor).  He tested negative, which the nurse said is just "genetics".  But I am curious – what role does it play?

As I mentioned previously, Dave went down to NIH and did not qualify for their TIL study.  However, they did test him for HLA – which I know was to see if he qualified for the ESO and MAGE trials.  However, I don't understand what purpose HLA has in melanoma treatment.  I know for the ESO and MAGE trials, they extracted the white blood cells from your blood stream, which is different then the TIL study (they use actual tumor).  He tested negative, which the nurse said is just "genetics".  But I am curious – what role does it play?

Thank you, as always….

Maria

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Maria. I can only tell the little I know, my husband also tested negative for HLA-02, which I believe is a protein found in your blood. I was told that this test has nothing to do with having melanoma or any specific type of mutation, simply the protein is present or not. I think it’s a 50 percent odds. Not having HLA-02 protein in your blood excludes you from most of the vaccine trials. now, when I am reading trials, I go first to the inclusion/exclusion sections, and frequently it will say need to be HLA-02 positive. One more thing I can’t control, so I move on. Good luck with the radiation and IL2. Valerie (phil’s wife)
          Phil S
          Participant
            Maria. I can only tell the little I know, my husband also tested negative for HLA-02, which I believe is a protein found in your blood. I was told that this test has nothing to do with having melanoma or any specific type of mutation, simply the protein is present or not. I think it’s a 50 percent odds. Not having HLA-02 protein in your blood excludes you from most of the vaccine trials. now, when I am reading trials, I go first to the inclusion/exclusion sections, and frequently it will say need to be HLA-02 positive. One more thing I can’t control, so I move on. Good luck with the radiation and IL2. Valerie (phil’s wife)
            FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Maria, I found the following info about HLA:
              http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=40&abstractID=32435
              and
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_leukocyte_antigen#In_cancer
              see also
              http://www.springerlink.com/content/b761785101268365/

As the nurse said – it is all about genetics.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Maria, I found the following info about HLA:
                http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=40&abstractID=32435
                and
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_leukocyte_antigen#In_cancer
                see also
                http://www.springerlink.com/content/b761785101268365/

As the nurse said – it is all about genetics.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

MichaelFL
                Participant

It's kinda complicated, so I will kepp it short.

I'm not a doctor either, so you still may have to have a doctor help explain this as I may not be totally accurate.

HLA typing; Definition

A histocompatibility antigen blood test looks at proteins called human leukocyte antigens (HLAs), which are found on the surface of nearly every cell in the human body. HLAs are found in large amounts on the surface of white blood cells. They help the immune system tell the difference between body tissue and foreign substances.

Adoptive cell transfer therapy (ACT) is where testing may be performed for the correct HLA type. If positive for the HLA type, these specific t-cells are then harvested, amplified and returned to the body.

Michael

Phil S
                    Participant
                      Just to clarify, what little I know, you can be HLA-02 negative and still qualify for TIL(adoptive cell transfer), both NIH and MD Anderson have these programs going on now that accept HLA-02 negative. I believe David wasn’t accept at NIH for adoptive cell because the surgery for tumor removal was too difficult at this time, so know that is an option for the future. HLA-02 status is more exclusive in the vaccine trials, like dendritic cell,etc. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                      Phil S
                      Participant
                        Just to clarify, what little I know, you can be HLA-02 negative and still qualify for TIL(adoptive cell transfer), both NIH and MD Anderson have these programs going on now that accept HLA-02 negative. I believe David wasn’t accept at NIH for adoptive cell because the surgery for tumor removal was too difficult at this time, so know that is an option for the future. HLA-02 status is more exclusive in the vaccine trials, like dendritic cell,etc. Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                      MichaelFL
                      Participant

It's kinda complicated, so I will kepp it short.

I'm not a doctor either, so you still may have to have a doctor help explain this as I may not be totally accurate.

HLA typing; Definition

A histocompatibility antigen blood test looks at proteins called human leukocyte antigens (HLAs), which are found on the surface of nearly every cell in the human body. HLAs are found in large amounts on the surface of white blood cells. They help the immune system tell the difference between body tissue and foreign substances.

Adoptive cell transfer therapy (ACT) is where testing may be performed for the correct HLA type. If positive for the HLA type, these specific t-cells are then harvested, amplified and returned to the body.

Michael

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant
                          HLA is basically for tissue typing. Many clinical trials are restricted to certain HLA’s to help define what effect the treatment has on a definite more common set of people. I’m the wrong type HLA to qualify for many trials. I believe HLA-A201 is the one they want most often. I will try to post a few URL’s after getting back to my computer.
                          JerryfromFauq
                          Participant
                            HLA is basically for tissue typing. Many clinical trials are restricted to certain HLA’s to help define what effect the treatment has on a definite more common set of people. I’m the wrong type HLA to qualify for many trials. I believe HLA-A201 is the one they want most often. I will try to post a few URL’s after getting back to my computer.
                            MariaH
                            Participant

Thank you all so much for responding.  Hopefully, Dave will be a responder to IL-2 and we won't have to look any further for treatment options… but it's always good to have a backup plan, and now I know what to look into.

Best wishes to all of you,

Maria

ValinMtl
                                Participant

Hi Maria

Sorry I haven't responded earlier but I had a 10-day respite, most of which I took up north at our cottage…I go back on Tuesday, August 16th to NIH for the big guns!  I will be there until about September 8th. I'm sorry to hear that Dave had such rapid growth but radiation should do its work and then on to IL-2.  I pray he will be an excellent responder.

Linda asked me to check about HLA status while I was done at Bethesda.  They plan to have a TIL trial coming up that does not require you to be HLA 0201 positive.  One patient has done the procedure and they are waiting for his results, I will check when I get down there to see if anything has developed.  The new treatement option will be called ECCE (that too I will confirm).  Val xx

MariaH
                                  Participant

I'm so glad to hear that you got to take a nice break from the all medical mumbo jumbo.  Lord knows, it takes a toll and a little normalcy is good for the soul.

I'd like to say that it is nice to have someone "on the inside", but I'd rather nobody was in this situation.  Keep me posted on the patients response – it would be interesting to see how he does. 

I am really hoping that the IL-2 will do the trick for Dave – if not, at least we have NIH in our back pocket.

I so hope everything goes well for you.  You are certainly in good hands down there – we liked everybody we met, and I don't think you could ask for a better team of medical professionals.

All our best to you Val, and we'll be thinking of you.  Keep in touch if you can. 

Maria

MariaH
                                    Participant

I'm so glad to hear that you got to take a nice break from the all medical mumbo jumbo.  Lord knows, it takes a toll and a little normalcy is good for the soul.

I'd like to say that it is nice to have someone "on the inside", but I'd rather nobody was in this situation.  Keep me posted on the patients response – it would be interesting to see how he does. 

I am really hoping that the IL-2 will do the trick for Dave – if not, at least we have NIH in our back pocket.

I so hope everything goes well for you.  You are certainly in good hands down there – we liked everybody we met, and I don't think you could ask for a better team of medical professionals.

All our best to you Val, and we'll be thinking of you.  Keep in touch if you can. 

Maria

ValinMtl
                                      Participant

Hi Maria

Sorry I haven't responded earlier but I had a 10-day respite, most of which I took up north at our cottage…I go back on Tuesday, August 16th to NIH for the big guns!  I will be there until about September 8th. I'm sorry to hear that Dave had such rapid growth but radiation should do its work and then on to IL-2.  I pray he will be an excellent responder.

Linda asked me to check about HLA status while I was done at Bethesda.  They plan to have a TIL trial coming up that does not require you to be HLA 0201 positive.  One patient has done the procedure and they are waiting for his results, I will check when I get down there to see if anything has developed.  The new treatement option will be called ECCE (that too I will confirm).  Val xx

MariaH
                                      Participant

Thank you all so much for responding.  Hopefully, Dave will be a responder to IL-2 and we won't have to look any further for treatment options… but it's always good to have a backup plan, and now I know what to look into.

Best wishes to all of you,

Maria

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/52/23/6561.abstract

•  
                                          •  
                                          •  

HLA Association with Response and Toxicity in Melanoma Patients Treated with Interleukin 2-based Immunotherapy

1. Francesco M. Marincola1,
                                          2. David Venzon,
                                          3. Donald White,
                                          4. Joshua T. Rubin,
                                          5. Michael T. Lotze,
                                          6. Toni B. Simonis,
                                          7. Jaikrishna Balkissoon,
                                          8. Steven A. Rosenberg, and
                                          9. David R. Parkinson

+ Author Affiliations

1. Surgery Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, Division of Cancer Treatment [F. M. M., D. W., J. B., S. A. R., D. R. P.] and Biostatistics and Data Management Section [D. V.], National Cancer Institute, and Department of Transfusion Medicine [T. B. S.], NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, and Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh [J. T. R., M. T. L.], Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261
                                          1. 1To whom requests for reprints should be addressed, at the Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, Building 10, Room 2B42, Bethesda, MD 20892.

Abstract

Peripheral blood lymphocytes from 146 patients with metastatic melanoma undergoing interleukin 2 (IL-2)-based immunotherapy were characterized for HLA A, B, Cw, DR, DQw, and DRw specificities. Patients had been enrolled into sequential treatment protocols with either IL-2 alone (28) or in combination with tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) (86), α-interferon (26), lymphokine-activated killer cells (16), radiation therapy (7), cyclophosphamide (3), tumor necrosis factor (1), and interleukin 4 (1) for a total of 168 courses of therapy. HLA phenotype was then correlated with response rate and toxicity to IL-2. We noted: (a) a significant difference in the frequency of A11 (20.5% versus 10.2%; P < 0.05) allele between melanoma patients and the North American Caucasian population; (b) a significantly higher frequency of A11 phenotype among responders (40.5%) than in the melanoma patient population (20.5%; P < 0.01), which was even more obvious among patients responding to TIL therapy (47.4% versus 22.1%; P < 0.05); within TIL patients, responders also had an increased frequency of A19 (42.1% versus 25.6%; P < 0.05); (c) a correlation between the number of TILs received and response rate (P < 0.005); and (d) an association between DR4 haplotype and decreased tolerance to IL-2 among the patients receiving TILs (P = 0.01). These results suggest that, in melanoma patients, some HLA Class I specificities may predict for a greater likelihood of response to IL-2-based therapy, while HLA Class II phenotype correlates with tolerance to the combination of TIL and IL-2 therapy.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/52/23/6561.abstract

•  
                                            •  
                                            •  

HLA Association with Response and Toxicity in Melanoma Patients Treated with Interleukin 2-based Immunotherapy

1. Francesco M. Marincola1,
                                            2. David Venzon,
                                            3. Donald White,
                                            4. Joshua T. Rubin,
                                            5. Michael T. Lotze,
                                            6. Toni B. Simonis,
                                            7. Jaikrishna Balkissoon,
                                            8. Steven A. Rosenberg, and
                                            9. David R. Parkinson

+ Author Affiliations

1. Surgery Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, Division of Cancer Treatment [F. M. M., D. W., J. B., S. A. R., D. R. P.] and Biostatistics and Data Management Section [D. V.], National Cancer Institute, and Department of Transfusion Medicine [T. B. S.], NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, and Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh [J. T. R., M. T. L.], Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261
                                            1. 1To whom requests for reprints should be addressed, at the Surgery Branch, National Cancer Institute, Building 10, Room 2B42, Bethesda, MD 20892.

Abstract

Peripheral blood lymphocytes from 146 patients with metastatic melanoma undergoing interleukin 2 (IL-2)-based immunotherapy were characterized for HLA A, B, Cw, DR, DQw, and DRw specificities. Patients had been enrolled into sequential treatment protocols with either IL-2 alone (28) or in combination with tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) (86), α-interferon (26), lymphokine-activated killer cells (16), radiation therapy (7), cyclophosphamide (3), tumor necrosis factor (1), and interleukin 4 (1) for a total of 168 courses of therapy. HLA phenotype was then correlated with response rate and toxicity to IL-2. We noted: (a) a significant difference in the frequency of A11 (20.5% versus 10.2%; P < 0.05) allele between melanoma patients and the North American Caucasian population; (b) a significantly higher frequency of A11 phenotype among responders (40.5%) than in the melanoma patient population (20.5%; P < 0.01), which was even more obvious among patients responding to TIL therapy (47.4% versus 22.1%; P < 0.05); within TIL patients, responders also had an increased frequency of A19 (42.1% versus 25.6%; P < 0.05); (c) a correlation between the number of TILs received and response rate (P < 0.005); and (d) an association between DR4 haplotype and decreased tolerance to IL-2 among the patients receiving TILs (P = 0.01). These results suggest that, in melanoma patients, some HLA Class I specificities may predict for a greater likelihood of response to IL-2-based therapy, while HLA Class II phenotype correlates with tolerance to the combination of TIL and IL-2 therapy.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics