The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question regarding high/low tumor burden

Forums General Melanoma Community Question regarding high/low tumor burden

Participant

Hello everybody!

I was just wondering how does one know if the tumor burden is high/low?

My fathers oncologyst doesn t use that terminology, so i m not sure where does he stand…

He has a melanoma on his back and some in his lungs (we don˙t know how many of them, because all his reports state just mets in the lungs… is that high or low?

He s  currently on keytruda and has no side effects, first pet scan is scheduled for may…..

Thank you very much for  the info….

Patrisa

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

That's an interesting question Patrisa.  I don't know the technical delineation between the two. 

Surprised the report is vague on the lungs.  Don't hesitate to ask for clarification.  I've done that in the past when I felt the information provided wasn't thorough enough.  How has your father's LDH levels been?  Although not 100% accurate that can be an indication of tumor burden.  Just based on what you said I would not think your father would be classified as a heavy tumor burden but definitely don't have enough information or technical knowledge to say for sure.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

That's an interesting question Patrisa.  I don't know the technical delineation between the two. 

Surprised the report is vague on the lungs.  Don't hesitate to ask for clarification.  I've done that in the past when I felt the information provided wasn't thorough enough.  How has your father's LDH levels been?  Although not 100% accurate that can be an indication of tumor burden.  Just based on what you said I would not think your father would be classified as a heavy tumor burden but definitely don't have enough information or technical knowledge to say for sure.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

Patrisa
              Participant

BrianP, thank you so much for replying….

my fathers ldh levels are always in the normal range, all his blood parameters are…

it has been rather difficult to get all the information, because my father never lets any of us – his family members to go with him to the doctors, he prefers to go alone and knowing him, i can bet my life on it that he does not ask a single question… He feels that the less he knows the better :-)))

since i'm his exact opposite, i have to know everything and carefully reading everything you wonderful people post here, i started to wonder about his tumor burden… Because, i have read that keytuda works better with lower tumor burden…

in regard to his mets and lack of numbers in the report, we have received a cd from his pet scan, but even i was to affraid to watch it… 

hugs to everyone!

Patrisa
                Participant

my fathers ldh levels are always in the normal range, all his blood parameters are…

it has been rather difficult to get all the information, because my father never lets any of us – his family members to go with him to the doctors, he prefers to go alone and knowing him, i can bet my life on it that he does not ask a single question… He feels that the less he knows the better :-)))

since i'm his exact opposite, i have to know everything and carefully reading everything you wonderful people post here, i started to wonder about his tumor burden… Because, i have read that keytuda works better with lower tumor burden…

in regard to his mets and lack of numbers in the report, we have received a cd from his pet scan, but even i was to affraid to watch it… 

hugs to everyone!

Patrisa
                  Participant

hugs to everyone!

Scooby123
                    Participant

Hi Patrisa,

that was a question I was going to post. I am stage 5 liver , lungs, now brain. Has far has my consultant has said too me that I have one tumour on both lungs, 3 on liver, one brain . 

I had ippi last June which  shrunk my tumours by 50% so I am guessing biggest tumour would be 1.4 cm on liver. I have been stable on liver, lungs but now got this brain tumour at 5.5mm which has been treated with SRS . I am not sure if there is any other mets which I am not aware of.

I do not know if it's how many or how big or if how many organs are involved. This is a question to ask my consultant on next visit.

wishing your dad all the best

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                      Participant

Hi Patrisa,

that was a question I was going to post. I am stage 5 liver , lungs, now brain. Has far has my consultant has said too me that I have one tumour on both lungs, 3 on liver, one brain . 

I had ippi last June which  shrunk my tumours by 50% so I am guessing biggest tumour would be 1.4 cm on liver. I have been stable on liver, lungs but now got this brain tumour at 5.5mm which has been treated with SRS . I am not sure if there is any other mets which I am not aware of.

I do not know if it's how many or how big or if how many organs are involved. This is a question to ask my consultant on next visit.

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                        Participant

Hi Patrisa,

scooby123❤️

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics