The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question re interpreting a pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community Question re interpreting a pathology report

Participant

Just got my husbands pathology report from his LND today, and I am curious what this means:  "No areas of unequivocal capsular invation were demonstrated."  That sounds like a good thing.  Anyone know what "capsular invasion" is or if that tells us anything important?

Sorry if this is a dumb question or if I’m over-analyzing things.  I just want to understand everything about it that I can.

Just got my husbands pathology report from his LND today, and I am curious what this means:  "No areas of unequivocal capsular invation were demonstrated."  That sounds like a good thing.  Anyone know what "capsular invasion" is or if that tells us anything important?

Sorry if this is a dumb question or if I’m over-analyzing things.  I just want to understand everything about it that I can.

5 of 28 nodes were positive.  Amelanotic (same as primary 2 years ago) Currently Stage IIIC.  He’s on the road to recovery and looking forward to life as an NED-er again!

Tracy

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        FertilityDoc
        Participant

Tracy,

It means that the melanoma is confined to the lymph node alone.  There was no sign that the melanoma was extending out of the lymph node capsule to the surrounding tissue.  That is a good thing.  The problem with melanoma is that even when it has not spread beyond the surface of the lymph node, it can spread through the lymphatic channels (which drains nodes) or through the blood system.  That is the fear we all have with Melanoma.  I hope that helps. I’ll extend good wishes and prayers that your Dad continues to do well.

Kevin

FertilityDoc
            Participant

Sorry, that I said your Dad.  Yes I see it is your husband.  Sincere apologies.

Kevin

MichaelFL
            Participant

Hi,

Yes, it is a good thing. It means as far as they are aware, it did not go outside the nodes into surrounding tissue.

Michael

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics