The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question? Anyone take Zelboraf and…..

Forums General Melanoma Community Question? Anyone take Zelboraf and…..

Participant

Has anybody here taken Zelboraf, stopped because of side effects, and restart the Zelboraf and have it not work?

My fiance is stopping Zelboraf for a small amount of time in order to let her nausea pass.  The Zelboraf has been working.  A part of me is worried that when she goes back on that it all of a sudden won't work.

Anyone have this issue?

Thank you,

Travis

Has anybody here taken Zelboraf, stopped because of side effects, and restart the Zelboraf and have it not work?

My fiance is stopping Zelboraf for a small amount of time in order to let her nausea pass.  The Zelboraf has been working.  A part of me is worried that when she goes back on that it all of a sudden won't work.

Anyone have this issue?

Thank you,

Travis

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

How  long has she been on "Z".? How serious are her side effects? What is her overall condition before the "Z"? How effective has Z" been for her.How short a period will she be off the drug?  All questions needed to know to make a judgement call.Drug is so new I do not think anyone really knows ?Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
          Participant

How  long has she been on "Z".? How serious are her side effects? What is her overall condition before the "Z"? How effective has Z" been for her.How short a period will she be off the drug?  All questions needed to know to make a judgement call.Drug is so new I do not think anyone really knows ?Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
            Participant

aldakota22
              Participant

Did they try a reduced doseage for a period to get the nausea  more under control for her?Some patients try that as an option to work there way slowly back to full dose.Sometimes these side effects are temporary .They go away for awhile only to  reappear months later. Beat the Beast> Al

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    I’ve been off 2 weeks once, and several times for a 2-3 day stretch. I seem to be fine for awhile then side effects. (different each time) will build up to the point I can’t function, will go off for a few days, then go back on and be fine. Except for the first wk I have been on 3 pills twice a day. Was told in June it’s working. My onc has a patient one week on/ one week off for side effects and says she is doing great. Supposedly the drug has a long half life and stays in your system a couple of wks.
                    rrrule32
                    Participant

Thank you for your responses.  I keep thinking that it would be best to alternate maybe one month on, then off one month or 3 weeks to let the melanoma cell use the BRAF protein again.  My thinking is to do this so it doesn't find a new pathway, so that it thinks it can use the BRAF protein without having to search for a different path.  Basically, tricking it.  Instead of "choking" it for 6 straight months.

She has been taking the Zel for a month.  She will be off for a few days.  Her nausea has been pretty bad, hasn't been able to hold anything down.  All of the noticeable tumors on her body have shrunk considerably. 

I'm mainly just curious if anyone has had the problem where after they go back on Zelboraf, if it all of a sudden doesn't work like it did before they stopped due to side effects.

rrrule32
                      Participant

Thank you for your responses.  I keep thinking that it would be best to alternate maybe one month on, then off one month or 3 weeks to let the melanoma cell use the BRAF protein again.  My thinking is to do this so it doesn't find a new pathway, so that it thinks it can use the BRAF protein without having to search for a different path.  Basically, tricking it.  Instead of "choking" it for 6 straight months.

She has been taking the Zel for a month.  She will be off for a few days.  Her nausea has been pretty bad, hasn't been able to hold anything down.  All of the noticeable tumors on her body have shrunk considerably. 

I'm mainly just curious if anyone has had the problem where after they go back on Zelboraf, if it all of a sudden doesn't work like it did before they stopped due to side effects.

rrrule32
                        Participant

rrrule32
                          Participant

awillett, can you tell me how long you've been on Zel?

Do you know how long that girl has been on Zel that you speak of in your post?

Thank you,

Travis

rrrule32
                            Participant

Thank you,

Travis

awillett1991
                              Participant
                                You can check my profile for the full scoop. I don’t know anything else about the other patient, sorry. Nothing I tried helped with nausea, i chewed alot of gum, but it has completely passed for me. I also have trouble with Zel completely killing my appetite but was put on Megace ES and now have put back on all the weight with no side effects. Hope this helps.
                                awillett1991
                                Participant
                                  You can check my profile for the full scoop. I don’t know anything else about the other patient, sorry. Nothing I tried helped with nausea, i chewed alot of gum, but it has completely passed for me. I also have trouble with Zel completely killing my appetite but was put on Megace ES and now have put back on all the weight with no side effects. Hope this helps.
                                  awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    rrrule32
                                    Participant

Thank you,

Travis

awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        I’ve been off 2 weeks once, and several times for a 2-3 day stretch. I seem to be fine for awhile then side effects. (different each time) will build up to the point I can’t function, will go off for a few days, then go back on and be fine. Except for the first wk I have been on 3 pills twice a day. Was told in June it’s working. My onc has a patient one week on/ one week off for side effects and says she is doing great. Supposedly the drug has a long half life and stays in your system a couple of wks.
                                        awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                        aldakota22
                                        Participant

Did they try a reduced doseage for a period to get the nausea  more under control for her?Some patients try that as an option to work there way slowly back to full dose.Sometimes these side effects are temporary .They go away for awhile only to  reappear months later. Beat the Beast> Al

aldakota22
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics