The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about TVEC

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about TVEC

Participant

Hi All,

I'm going into round 2 against Mel (recurrence 6 months following surgery+Ipi).

This lymph node is right up against my skin and sitting on the mastoid bone behind my ear. I have a great Mel. Oncologist and she has presented the options of TVEC+Keytruda or surgery+Keytruda.

Is there a reason why I wouldn't choose TVEC? (Does TVEC have a high efficacy rate? Does TVEC have significant side effects?)

thank you all for your insights.

Danny

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

Hi All,

i found the T-VEC details on Celeste's pages, so I'm all set for the details of efficacy and side effects. Any individual experiences with T-VEC or even why you chose something else would be very helpful.

All the best,

Danny

Mark_DC
            Participant

HI Danny,

Am facing similar decision. I think Celeste has posted the best info on tvec. Am not completely sure about its efficacy.

my doctor was leaning towards surgery, but after listening to second opinion we may go for tvec. I am not an expert but i get the sense that surgery is more efficacious than tvec which may or may not work. Surgery cuts it out. Problem is recurrence. So keytruda seems a good idea, systemic therapy.

i think a lot will depend on how invasive and painful the surgery, any long term effects from surgery – these would point to trying tvec. But if the tvec fails then surgery may well have to happen. It might be possibke that the tvec plus keytruda achieves remission (the keytruda might be doing the job if not the tvec).

in my case tvec seems the easier route but with realization that surgery may be unavoidabie.

i would be grateful to learn of others experience with tvec – i dont recall many posts from those who have tired it and this would really help

good luck

mark

ed williams
            Participant

Hi Danny, any thing from Dr. Andtbacka of Utah (Huntsman hospital) is gold on T-vec. Here is a link from June of 2017 Onclive with Dr. Andtbacka and Dr. Weber. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZwcWIjjiVg

Mark_DC
                Participant

Thanks Ed, this was useful and i guess shows that tvec is promising (hard to believe since relatively simple to take). Could not find the continuation video though?

again thank you and also to others who share their tvec experiences good and bad, helps lots!

maryb-z
                Participant
                  Hi Danny,
                  I was given just Tvec for 3 tumors in my lower right leg starting in March and ending in June. I only received 5 of the 12 scheduled treatments because they decreased in size to the point radiologist couldn’t say if was scar tissue lighting up on scan or melanoma. Recent scan showed stable so doctor is suggesting check again in January and if growth, restart Tvec. I had very little side effects and found taking Claritin D a few days before and after reduced aches and pains. It was suggested to me by another warrior I follow on FB. Good luck!
                    Mark_DC
                    Participant

Thank you for posting, hope others will too as i need to decide on this soon (versus difficult but feasible surgery)

MovingOn
                    Participant

Thank you all.

Turns out there is a snag in my plan for TVEC+Keytruda. That combination isn't FDA approved yet. There is a clinical trial but it has a 50% chance of getting TVEC (50% placebo). So I've got an appointment to discuss things further.

Mark_DC
                        Participant

Sorry Danny, that complicates your choice, doesnt it? 🙁

The TVEC sounds good, but there is a chance you wont get it 🙁

Its good that you will receive keytruda under all options because you may need something systemic – can you confirm that after surgery you would still receive keytruda (because what will it be targetting, wont you be NED?) if not then i would be reluctant to do surgery because the keytruda could be very helpful in prevening recurrence

how difficult is the surgery? If straightforward then maybe the surgery plus keytruda route, unless you think that if you redeive keytruda alone that will be ok. If you dont do surgery, how closely will they monitor the lymph node and when can you bail out and do surgery?

hope others can provide more useful info to help you decide; am also hoping for more tvec stories good and bad will help me decide what i have to do

thank you for posting and good luck

mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics