The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Question about scalp

Forums General Melanoma Community Question about scalp

Participant

This may be kind of a dumb question, but will a PET scan pick up melanoma on the scalp? I am stage 4a and just had my quarterly PET scan (it found a new lesion on my leg above the primary site I had removed last August) but have been noticing some sore spots on my scalp the past month or so. I have a friend who is going to take a look at these spots for me and will mention them to my doctor at my next infustion on Tuesday. It seems like the PET would have found anything unusual on my scalp, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with this. 

Thank you all!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

PET scans won't typically show lesions smaller than 5mm. So depending on the size of the lesions, they may or may not show up.  PET scans won't show new primaries in most instances.

Janner
          Participant

PET scans won't typically show lesions smaller than 5mm. So depending on the size of the lesions, they may or may not show up.  PET scans won't show new primaries in most instances.

Janner
            Participant

Cathy M
              Participant
                Our oncologist stated PET would not pick up lesions on or under the skin. My husband has regular PET scans and has also had 4 places removed from the scalp and face with 3 of them being metastatic melanoma not picked up by PET.
                Cathy M
                Participant
                  Our oncologist stated PET would not pick up lesions on or under the skin. My husband has regular PET scans and has also had 4 places removed from the scalp and face with 3 of them being metastatic melanoma not picked up by PET.
                  Cathy M
                  Participant
                Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics