The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

question about lymph node surgery.

Forums General Melanoma Community question about lymph node surgery.

Participant

I had lymph nodes removed from left groin 3weeks ago and now noticed a hard lump beside lower part of incision. Has anyone ever had this. I dont think its scar tissue and it feels hard and oblong. Worried its a lymph node they may have missed. I still have my drain in and it seems to be working fine. I will call Doctors office in am. Just thought someone may have has this same problem. Thanks.

I had lymph nodes removed from left groin 3weeks ago and now noticed a hard lump beside lower part of incision. Has anyone ever had this. I dont think its scar tissue and it feels hard and oblong. Worried its a lymph node they may have missed. I still have my drain in and it seems to be working fine. I will call Doctors office in am. Just thought someone may have has this same problem. Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Steffiellie
        Participant
          I had a seroma in my armpit after both surgeries and also at the base of my Excision after the drain. The armpit one was really painful! My surgeon actually drained the seroma twice for about 20 mls. You can find info on seroma in lots of breast cancer forums…not much for melanoma. But research it. It’s supposed to resolve on it’s own but mine was painful since in my armpit and came maybe a week postoperative? Check with your surgeon!
          Good luck with your recovery and your fight!
          Steph
            Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi,

I too developed a seroma in or near my LND incision in my groin, and it became infected. I ended up with a cellulitis and in the hospital, so it could be this. Hoping you are feeling better soon.

Vermont)Donna, stage 3a, NED

Kim41
              Participant

Hello Donna,

I have read alot of postings by you and just wanted to say thanks because they have been so helpful! I was a little concerned about infection because the bump did feel warmer to touch but no redness is noted, so I hope it is just a little pocket of fluid. I called the surgeon's office today and I have an appt for this coming Wednesday. Then I have an appointment at Hershey Melanoma clinic Dec 13th and I then have to decide what treatment to do. I am sure they will offer Interferon. I wandered if it would be better to try and get into the trial of Ipi vs Interferon. What do you think? I saw you did the Interferon and would you do it again? Hope all is well with you and thankyou for helping so many people on here, you dont know what it means!

Kim

Kim41
                Participant

Hello Donna,

I have read alot of postings by you and just wanted to say thanks because they have been so helpful! I was a little concerned about infection because the bump did feel warmer to touch but no redness is noted, so I hope it is just a little pocket of fluid. I called the surgeon's office today and I have an appt for this coming Wednesday. Then I have an appointment at Hershey Melanoma clinic Dec 13th and I then have to decide what treatment to do. I am sure they will offer Interferon. I wandered if it would be better to try and get into the trial of Ipi vs Interferon. What do you think? I saw you did the Interferon and would you do it again? Hope all is well with you and thankyou for helping so many people on here, you dont know what it means!

Kim

Kim41
                  Participant

Hello Donna,

Kim

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi,

I too developed a seroma in or near my LND incision in my groin, and it became infected. I ended up with a cellulitis and in the hospital, so it could be this. Hoping you are feeling better soon.

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi,

Kim41
                        Participant

Thanks Steph,

I thought I had responded to this already so if I did sorry I am repeating myself. I did research seroma and that may be what it is. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Dec 7th and possibly may get my drain out. Thanks again.

Kim

Kim41
                          Participant

Thanks Steph,

I thought I had responded to this already so if I did sorry I am repeating myself. I did research seroma and that may be what it is. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Dec 7th and possibly may get my drain out. Thanks again.

Kim

Kim41
                            Participant

Thanks Steph,

Kim

Steffiellie
                            Participant
                              I had a seroma in my armpit after both surgeries and also at the base of my Excision after the drain. The armpit one was really painful! My surgeon actually drained the seroma twice for about 20 mls. You can find info on seroma in lots of breast cancer forums…not much for melanoma. But research it. It’s supposed to resolve on it’s own but mine was painful since in my armpit and came maybe a week postoperative? Check with your surgeon!
                              Steph
                              Steffiellie
                              Participant
                                Steph
                                Carver
                                Participant

I had the groin dissection in 2005 and I formed a seroma (fluid pocket) and a hematoma (collection of blood that can harden) as well as a lot of scar tissue. You should discuss it with your doctor but it seems likely that what you are feeling is one of those issues. I still have some hard places in the area near surgery and they are scar tissue which can be very fine but a lot of little scar tissue can form a hard mass. Best of luck, Carver

Kim41
                                    Participant

Thanks Carver, I do think it is just a seroma, but I am to follow up at surgeons office in a few days. I really appreciate that you and others are so very helpful and if I have a question that I get answers. Hope all is well with you!

Kim

Kim41
                                      Participant

Thanks Carver, I do think it is just a seroma, but I am to follow up at surgeons office in a few days. I really appreciate that you and others are so very helpful and if I have a question that I get answers. Hope all is well with you!

Kim

Kim41
                                        Participant

Kim

Carver
                                        Participant

I had the groin dissection in 2005 and I formed a seroma (fluid pocket) and a hematoma (collection of blood that can harden) as well as a lot of scar tissue. You should discuss it with your doctor but it seems likely that what you are feeling is one of those issues. I still have some hard places in the area near surgery and they are scar tissue which can be very fine but a lot of little scar tissue can form a hard mass. Best of luck, Carver

Carver
                                          Participant

Becky C.
                                            Participant

Hi, Kim. My name is Becky, I had a right groin dissection back in July. I, too, had one positive node with micromets. I still have some hard scar tissue. I developed a pocket of fluid close to my incision, I had it ultrasounded twice. The second time showed it had shrunk. My surgeon thinks it will take care of itself over time. Groin surgery takes along time to get over, i still have some tightness in my thigh.

Kim41
                                                Participant

Hello Becky, thanks for responding. I do think I have some fluid and also some scar tissue. The bump I have seems to go down somewhat overnight. Do you have any problems with alot of edema or just a little? I am hoping my leg does not swell too bad. I am a nurse and spend alot of time standing on my feet. I will have to wear good support stockings. How long ago was your surgery? Hope your doing well.

Kim

Kim41
                                                  Participant

I just read and realized your surgery was in July and I also have alot of pain on the inside of my leg. I have to limp due to it pulls so much. I just started doing stretching exercises tonight because I thought it might just be tightening of the ligaments. It is sore to touch and also is hard to take a regular stride when I am walking. How long did it take for this to go away for you. I try to walk normally but it hurts to, but I thought maybe I am just favoring it too much.

Becky C.
                                                    Participant

Hi, Kim. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I don't get on the forum that often anymore.  I was wondering how many lymph nodes you had removed. I only had two remover on the SNB and only six on the dissection.  I think that may be why my symptoms have been mild.  Mine does very slowly improve all the time. I work in retail, so i am on my feet a lot, too. I wear a compression stocking on that leg when I go to work. Soon I want to start trying to go without it. The only pain I really had was just some soreness deep down, it did not hurt to walk. The only thing I have now is some tightness still in my inner thigh, and sometimes it will get alittle puffy. I actually went to a therapist to learn some massage techniques, but i can't tell if it has helped or not. They never said I had edema, my ultrasound just showed a small pocket of fluid. My therapist explained to me that whenever a person has any surgery, and the nerves and lymph capillaries are cut, your body will want to swell. Lymphnode surgery is a really major surgery. I really think you would benefit from some therapy. Being a nurse, I am sure you know some good ones. I am doing really well, my oncologist gave me a very good prognosis. Even though they don't like to talk about percentages, he thinks i have about a 90 percent chance of being cured. I will still go in for checkups and a scan every six months. I say check me and check me often! Didn't mean to get so long.

Kim41
                                                      Participant

Glad to hear back from you Becky, I had my drain removed today and the doctor thinks the bump I have is just scar tissue. I think thats a good idea about therapy. I am to go back to work at the hospital in 2 days and maybe the pain with walking will improve. I also only had 2 lymph nodes removed initially and then 7 nodes with second surgery. My leg has been swelling since surgery and if I sit for any period of time it swells. Its encouraging that your prognosis is positive. Hope all continues to go well for you and thanks so much for the advice. Have a great holiday!

KIm

Kim41
                                                        Participant

Glad to hear back from you Becky, I had my drain removed today and the doctor thinks the bump I have is just scar tissue. I think thats a good idea about therapy. I am to go back to work at the hospital in 2 days and maybe the pain with walking will improve. I also only had 2 lymph nodes removed initially and then 7 nodes with second surgery. My leg has been swelling since surgery and if I sit for any period of time it swells. Its encouraging that your prognosis is positive. Hope all continues to go well for you and thanks so much for the advice. Have a great holiday!

KIm

Kim41
                                                          Participant

KIm

Becky C.
                                                            Participant

Hi, Kim. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I don't get on the forum that often anymore.  I was wondering how many lymph nodes you had removed. I only had two remover on the SNB and only six on the dissection.  I think that may be why my symptoms have been mild.  Mine does very slowly improve all the time. I work in retail, so i am on my feet a lot, too. I wear a compression stocking on that leg when I go to work. Soon I want to start trying to go without it. The only pain I really had was just some soreness deep down, it did not hurt to walk. The only thing I have now is some tightness still in my inner thigh, and sometimes it will get alittle puffy. I actually went to a therapist to learn some massage techniques, but i can't tell if it has helped or not. They never said I had edema, my ultrasound just showed a small pocket of fluid. My therapist explained to me that whenever a person has any surgery, and the nerves and lymph capillaries are cut, your body will want to swell. Lymphnode surgery is a really major surgery. I really think you would benefit from some therapy. Being a nurse, I am sure you know some good ones. I am doing really well, my oncologist gave me a very good prognosis. Even though they don't like to talk about percentages, he thinks i have about a 90 percent chance of being cured. I will still go in for checkups and a scan every six months. I say check me and check me often! Didn't mean to get so long.

Becky C.
                                                              Participant

Kim41
                                                                Participant

I just read and realized your surgery was in July and I also have alot of pain on the inside of my leg. I have to limp due to it pulls so much. I just started doing stretching exercises tonight because I thought it might just be tightening of the ligaments. It is sore to touch and also is hard to take a regular stride when I am walking. How long did it take for this to go away for you. I try to walk normally but it hurts to, but I thought maybe I am just favoring it too much.

Kim41
                                                                  Participant

Kim41
                                                                    Participant

Hello Becky, thanks for responding. I do think I have some fluid and also some scar tissue. The bump I have seems to go down somewhat overnight. Do you have any problems with alot of edema or just a little? I am hoping my leg does not swell too bad. I am a nurse and spend alot of time standing on my feet. I will have to wear good support stockings. How long ago was your surgery? Hope your doing well.

Kim

Kim41
                                                                      Participant

Kim

Becky C.
                                                                      Participant

Hi, Kim. My name is Becky, I had a right groin dissection back in July. I, too, had one positive node with micromets. I still have some hard scar tissue. I developed a pocket of fluid close to my incision, I had it ultrasounded twice. The second time showed it had shrunk. My surgeon thinks it will take care of itself over time. Groin surgery takes along time to get over, i still have some tightness in my thigh.

Becky C.
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics