The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Probable recurrence..need advice!

Forums General Melanoma Community Probable recurrence..need advice!

Participant

Hi all,

Hi all,

My name is Jen and i used to come on this site all the time. I still read posts on a weekly basis but unfortunately i now need help and advice.i was diagnosed stage 3a  from primary on left foot by toes 2.5 mm. I had 4 cells in my sentinel node  on left thigh and did a year of interferon which i handled just fine.  I just had my 3 year NED anniversary with a PET/CT that followed 2 weeks later. Unfortunately my onc called yesterday and said there was a hot spot on the right side of my body that had a high suv of 4.9. It is near my groin, bladder and colon. So this would move me to stage 4 🙁 They couldnt pin point it though because it did not show up on ct. It is very likely melanoma because of high suv. No other spots showed up in body. I had an MRI yesterday around 5 pm to further investigate. I have not heard back from my oncologist which i'm sure is bad. I leave for Europe tomorrow for two weeks. I was going to cancel but i am going to go still and deal with all of this when i get back.

What do you think my next step would be? I don't have the Braf mutation either. Surgery adn then IL-2 ? Yervoy. I handled interferon really easily. I am a 29 year old female that was diagnosed at 26. Any advice on what my next steps should be are greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Jenjen 3a now probably 4

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

Hey Jen

No real advice, but just wanted to know I have been thinking about you lots (saw on Facebook). I'm glad you are going on your trip, but I hope you get some answers before you go.

Hang in there!!!

Becky

Becky
          Participant

Hey Jen

No real advice, but just wanted to know I have been thinking about you lots (saw on Facebook). I'm glad you are going on your trip, but I hope you get some answers before you go.

Hang in there!!!

Becky

JenJen12
              Participant

Hi Becky,

My oncologist just called. He and the radiologist went over my mri all morning and saw nothing that correlated with pet scan hot spot. so they went over pet/ct again and found nothing on ct again. They think that it is now my ovary since its a week after my period and i'm ovulating i guess. They are 90 % sure it was false positive but we are going to rescan sooner than later just in case. Thanks for the message. I hate how one stupid scan change your entire world so fast….

Jen

lhaley
                Participant

I also remember you Jen!  Glad to hear that there was good news.  Enjoy your vacation!

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

I also remember you Jen!  Glad to hear that there was good news.  Enjoy your vacation!

Linda

lhaley
                    Participant

Linda

JenJen12
                      Participant

Hi Becky,

My oncologist just called. He and the radiologist went over my mri all morning and saw nothing that correlated with pet scan hot spot. so they went over pet/ct again and found nothing on ct again. They think that it is now my ovary since its a week after my period and i'm ovulating i guess. They are 90 % sure it was false positive but we are going to rescan sooner than later just in case. Thanks for the message. I hate how one stupid scan change your entire world so fast….

Jen

JenJen12
                        Participant

Hi Becky,

Jen

JenJen12
                          Participant

Hi Becky,

Jen

Becky
                            Participant

That is great news! I know PET scans are notorious for flase positives. So…go to Europe, have fun and don't stress!!

Becky
                              Participant

That is great news! I know PET scans are notorious for flase positives. So…go to Europe, have fun and don't stress!!

Becky
                                Participant

JenJen12
                                  Participant

Hi Becky,

Jen

JenJen12
                                    Participant

Hi Becky,

Jen

Becky
                                    Participant

Hey Jen

Hang in there!!!

Becky

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                      Participant

I really would not worry.  First of all, 4.9 SUV is not that high – it may just be an infection somewhere.  For comparison, I had a lesion  (an actual melanoma recurrence) that was more than 12.  Also, PET results are very unreliable on anything less than 10 mm in size.  Since you say they could not correlate it with CT, I would disregard it.  Perhaps a rescan in 6 mos. is warranted.  Just enjoy life!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                        Participant

I really would not worry.  First of all, 4.9 SUV is not that high – it may just be an infection somewhere.  For comparison, I had a lesion  (an actual melanoma recurrence) that was more than 12.  Also, PET results are very unreliable on anything less than 10 mm in size.  Since you say they could not correlate it with CT, I would disregard it.  Perhaps a rescan in 6 mos. is warranted.  Just enjoy life!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics