The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy, miscarriage, and melanoma – Long post

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy, miscarriage, and melanoma – Long post

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in a long time (maybe 3 years ago or so), but I occasionally pop on to see how everyone is doing. Well I'm here today b/c I have a few questions. A little background info on me: I was diagnosed in 2003 with stage 1 mel on my back, then stage 0 (thin mel) on my left arm in 2005, then in 2006 I was diagnosed with stage 3a mel on the back of my right leg with micromets to 1 node in right groin. I had all the lypmh nodes removed in my right groin, then started interferon in Feb. of 2007, which I ended in Oct. 2007 b/c of side effects and depression. I've been cancer-free since.

Fast forward 3 years and I received the go-ahead from my oncologist to start trying to have a baby (I'm 29 yrs old, almost 30). I got pregnant pretty quickly in Feb. 2011, but had a missed miscarriage in April — no heartbeat found at my 12 week ultrasound (baby measured around around 7 weeks). I had a d&c several days later. Now skip ahead to September and I found out I was pregnant again. At 7 weeks, we had an ultrasound and found a strong heartbeat (156bpm). We were really excited, the doc said after you see a heartbeat the risk of miscarriage goes down to 5%. Well a few days later, I had a bit of spotting and they had me come in for another ultrasound; this time the heart rate had dropped significantly (down to 100bpm), and there was little growth. This was early last week. On Monday, I had another ultrasound to confirm the heart had stopped, which it did, and I was scheduled for a d&c, which happened yesterday – I was almost 9 weeks. The doc will be doing some testing at 6 weeks post-miscarriage to see if I have a blood clotting disorder, and if I do, it would prevent the placenta and baby from developing properly. Hopefully I'll have some answers in a couple of months.

So here are my questions:

– Before I had the interferon, I was told it would probably not interfere with fertility, but of course I have to wonder… have any of you had problems with miscarriage after interferon?

– I'm also wondering if all these ups and downs with my hormones (with the last 2 pregnancies over the last 9 months) could somehow affect my health negatively at some point, and possibly cause me recur or get a new primary? I have many moles, so I see a derm and oncologist every 3-4 months. I seem to develop new moles all the time. Guess I'm worried that all the ups and downs with my hormones could possibly make my moles change more rapidly. Also, at some point in the last year, I developed a mole inside my eyeball, discovered at my last eye appointment a couple months ago. No idea when it actually developed, I just know it happened in the last year. The eye doc said it's fairly common, about 10% of the population have a mole or "freckle" in their eye, but this really freaks me out, my great-grandfather died from melanoma in his eye.

– Finally, if they do find I have a blood clotting issue, they'll recommend a baby aspirin every day and they'll also prescribe Lovenox, an anticoagulant, which would be an injection I'd take each day starting when I get pregnant again. So, my question and I hate to think about the worse case scenario, BUT worst case scenario, I develop mel while pregnant, and if my blood is thinner, could the cancer travel around faster? I just have no idea.

My derm and oncologist have both said in the past that pregnancy can change moles, but there's no definitive link between pregnancy and melanoma. Tomorrow I have my regular appt with my oncologist and will ask him all my questions, but I'm just wondering if any of you have any experiences with pregnancy, miscarriage, and melanoma.

My husband and I are talking about trying one, maybe two, more times and if it doesn't happen, or there's a chance that my health could be negatively affected by all these pregnancies/miscarriages, then we'll seriously look into adoption.

Thank you in advance for any advice and/or experiences you can share!

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        SarahS
        Participant

Oops, looks like I posted this twice — how do I delete one of these posts?

SarahS
          Participant

SarahS
            Participant

triciad
              Participant

Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriages.  I wish I had some answers to your questions; unfortunately, I don't.  I just wanted to let you know that this is a great place to be with many people who are supportive, helpful, and extremely generous with personal experiences.  Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.  I hope your oncologist can answer your questions.  Please keep us posted…we're all in this together.

Tricia

triciad
                Participant

Sarah,

I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriages.  I wish I had some answers to your questions; unfortunately, I don't.  I just wanted to let you know that this is a great place to be with many people who are supportive, helpful, and extremely generous with personal experiences.  Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.  I hope your oncologist can answer your questions.  Please keep us posted…we're all in this together.

Tricia

triciad
                  Participant

Sarah,

Tricia

jag
                    Participant

Sarah, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.  I am a dude so I can't say I relate, but I still feel that there is no telling what can cause melanoma to flare back up.  I thought taking dexamethasone for all of my brain surgeries (which supresses the immune system would cause me to have more metastases-turns out it didn't as I am still alive) nobody knows what causes recurrences.  A lot of times, a healthy mind can keep the immune system strong, maybe just going ahead and doing what you want willl make you happy and give you something to live for.

Either way, best of luck

John

jag
                      Participant

Sarah, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.  I am a dude so I can't say I relate, but I still feel that there is no telling what can cause melanoma to flare back up.  I thought taking dexamethasone for all of my brain surgeries (which supresses the immune system would cause me to have more metastases-turns out it didn't as I am still alive) nobody knows what causes recurrences.  A lot of times, a healthy mind can keep the immune system strong, maybe just going ahead and doing what you want willl make you happy and give you something to live for.

Either way, best of luck

John

jag
                        Participant

Either way, best of luck

John

BethA in VA
                          Participant

I just want to tell you how sorry I am for your struggles.  A miscarriage is very sad and I will keep you in my prayers.  I'm sure someone will have some answers for your many questions.  Wishing you well, no more MM and success in your family plan.  BethA    3/B

BethA in VA
                            Participant

I just want to tell you how sorry I am for your struggles.  A miscarriage is very sad and I will keep you in my prayers.  I'm sure someone will have some answers for your many questions.  Wishing you well, no more MM and success in your family plan.  BethA    3/B

BethA in VA
                              Participant

NancyGM
                                Participant

Sarah, I have had the same issues, but in a different order. Infertility, followed by many miscarraiges and then two full term babies. Twelve years later, stage II MM which then progressed to stage IV three years later. Now, I have been NED for almost 4 years, my daughters are college age.

All I can say is that I have been very lucky. People often don't realize how difficult a loss a miscarraige can be and dealing with MM recurrance fears must make things so much harder. My heart goes out to you and I hope I can offer you some hope on both counts.

NancyGM
                                  Participant

Sarah, I have had the same issues, but in a different order. Infertility, followed by many miscarraiges and then two full term babies. Twelve years later, stage II MM which then progressed to stage IV three years later. Now, I have been NED for almost 4 years, my daughters are college age.

All I can say is that I have been very lucky. People often don't realize how difficult a loss a miscarraige can be and dealing with MM recurrance fears must make things so much harder. My heart goes out to you and I hope I can offer you some hope on both counts.

NancyGM
                                    Participant

CarolA
                                      Participant

Hello.   I am sorry for your losses.   You are so young and and I hate that this disease finds its way to such young people.    I regret that I do not have anything specific that I can offer, but I do know of this website, where maybe you can find some hope and encouragement.   It was developed by a woman who found herself with cancer while pregnant.  Maybe in some of the personal experiences, or via this link, you can find some answers specific to your situation.   I will say a prayer for you and keep you in my prayers for answers.   There is always hope.   Take care.   Here is that link

http://www.pregnantwithcancer.org/Car 

CarolA – Stage III and holding since May 08

(original diag March 05, Stage III)

CarolA
                                        Participant

Hello.   I am sorry for your losses.   You are so young and and I hate that this disease finds its way to such young people.    I regret that I do not have anything specific that I can offer, but I do know of this website, where maybe you can find some hope and encouragement.   It was developed by a woman who found herself with cancer while pregnant.  Maybe in some of the personal experiences, or via this link, you can find some answers specific to your situation.   I will say a prayer for you and keep you in my prayers for answers.   There is always hope.   Take care.   Here is that link

CarolA
                                          Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                            Participant

Sarah, I am saddened to read about your miscarriages. I would just like to say a bit
                                              about your situation.

As you may know, interferon alfa-2b (also known as Intron A) can have many side effects
                                              and these may be short or long term. I don't know if it could affect fertility, but I
                                              suppose that it is possible due to rare adverse effects. However the following site
                                              disagrees: http://www.modernmom.com/article/having-a-baby-after-interferon "… the use
                                              of Interferon did not affect fertility in women."

For more info on Intron A and the immune system (old article) see:
                                              http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cncr.23251/full

There is some good news about aspirin, as it now appears to have an anti melanoma
                                              effect. See:
                                              http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43468687/ns/health-cancer/t/daily-aspirin-may-protect-against-melanoma/

Here is an article about melanoma and pregnancy:
                                              http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090504210204.htm

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                              Participant

Sarah, I am saddened to read about your miscarriages. I would just like to say a bit
                                                about your situation.

As you may know, interferon alfa-2b (also known as Intron A) can have many side effects
                                                and these may be short or long term. I don't know if it could affect fertility, but I
                                                suppose that it is possible due to rare adverse effects. However the following site
                                                disagrees: http://www.modernmom.com/article/having-a-baby-after-interferon "… the use

There is some good news about aspirin, as it now appears to have an anti melanoma
                                                effect. See:
                                                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43468687/ns/health-cancer/t/daily-aspirin-may-protect-against-melanoma/

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

about your situation.

effect. See:

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

SarahS
                                                  Participant

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I really appreciate all of your responses.  So I met with my onc yesterday, he is very supportive. He said that for me, taking a daily aspirin should pose no problems in terms of mel, and if the blood tests come back positive for a blood clotting disorder, then taking Lovenox should be fine too. He also said, which I've heard before, that there's no definitive link between melanoma and pregnancy, but like my derm has said, pregnancy can change the way moles look, so he suggested that I continue to see my derm on a regular basis (3-4 months), which I do anyway, and also follow-up with him every few months as well.  And in terms of the mole in my eye, he said that considering my history with mel, and my great-grandfather's history w/ mel in the eye,  I should see an opthamologist on a regular basis as well (my derm also suggested this) – so I have an appt on Monday w/ an opthamologist.

Although I'm pretty nervous about getting pregnant again, we'll give it another go and see what happens. Really hoping for some success soon! NancyGM, thank you for your sharing your experience, that does give me hope. And thank you to everyone else, I really appreicate the kind words of support and also the links you provided. I try to stay on top of new info regarding mel, but hadn't seen the article on mel and aspirin, very interesting stuff!  Thank you again everyone. I do feel a little better!

SarahS
                                                    Participant

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I really appreciate all of your responses.  So I met with my onc yesterday, he is very supportive. He said that for me, taking a daily aspirin should pose no problems in terms of mel, and if the blood tests come back positive for a blood clotting disorder, then taking Lovenox should be fine too. He also said, which I've heard before, that there's no definitive link between melanoma and pregnancy, but like my derm has said, pregnancy can change the way moles look, so he suggested that I continue to see my derm on a regular basis (3-4 months), which I do anyway, and also follow-up with him every few months as well.  And in terms of the mole in my eye, he said that considering my history with mel, and my great-grandfather's history w/ mel in the eye,  I should see an opthamologist on a regular basis as well (my derm also suggested this) – so I have an appt on Monday w/ an opthamologist.

Although I'm pretty nervous about getting pregnant again, we'll give it another go and see what happens. Really hoping for some success soon! NancyGM, thank you for your sharing your experience, that does give me hope. And thank you to everyone else, I really appreicate the kind words of support and also the links you provided. I try to stay on top of new info regarding mel, but hadn't seen the article on mel and aspirin, very interesting stuff!  Thank you again everyone. I do feel a little better!

SarahS
                                                      Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics