The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pregnancy during remission

Forums General Melanoma Community Pregnancy during remission

Participant

Hello everyone, 

I wanted to see if anyone had personal expereince of getting pregnant during remission. I have heard mixed things from my onocologist, but I just found out I'm pregnant. I had stage 3a, and I am about 1 year and 8 months in remission. I only had surgery, no adjunct therapy. My last scan was June 1st with no evidence of disease. Any personal stories or expereinces would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Happy_girl
        Participant

Congrats! I can tell you I am hoping for what you’re hoping for! I am 4 years NED stage 3a.  I am 13 weeks pregnant.  My onc is very comfortable with me being pregnant.  I will still get nervous/scared… but am mostly excited!  Best of luck! Can’t wait to hear how it goes for you!!

I got pregnant and had my second daughter 5 years after stage 1A.  Then diagnosed stage IV when she was five.  So basically both pregnancies were fine for both children.  No melanoma or progression until well after my second was born.  No comments or concerns from the OB, the derm, or my primary.  When I found out I was stage IV I did call the girls pediatrician and specifically ask about whether we should be concerned for them.  They appreciated the information and put it in their charts as part of the history but said at this point they were not concerned for them at all.  I hope this is helpful for you.  Be happy, live the life you are meant to have and enjoy the moments. Good wishes to you.

Jennifer

AshleyS
          Participant

Hello Skousal,

I was 1b for about one year and advanced to Stage IV at 20 weeks along with my son. After quite a process, I’m cancer free and living life. It’s been 3.5 years and my kids are 5.5 and, obviously, 3.5. I’m not sure if it sounds bad given I have the most wonderful gift, but I would do things differently if I had a second chance. I’ve spoken to many top melanoma experts and they recommend waiting 5 years to have a child. That said, it’s a personal choice. Good luck and best wishes to you!

Ashley

AshleyS
            Participant

Hello Skousal,

I was 1b for about one year and advanced to Stage IV at 20 weeks along with my son. After quite a process, I’m cancer free and living life. It’s been 3.5 years and my kids are 5.5 and, obviously, 3.5. I’m not sure if it sounds bad given I have the most wonderful gift, but I would do things differently if I had a second chance. I’ve spoken to many top melanoma experts and they recommend waiting 5 years to have a child. That said, it’s a personal choice. Good luck and best wishes to you!

Ashley

jjk17
              Participant
                I am so glad that you posted this. I am definitely following this thread. I am Stage IIIC. Surgery 10-2017 and currently on Nivo treatment. I am 34, and we already have a 2 yr.old. Other than being given the news of “you have cancer” my surgical oncologist highly advised no more kids. That was probably the worse news someone can hear. At that point we got another opinion and was told to atleast wait 3 years after treatment and of course NED.

The thought is still there. Do we or don’t we…..I ABSOLUTELY get the importance of the waiting part, but having a hard time with no more at all.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics