The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Prednisone or methotrexate cause melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Prednisone or methotrexate cause melanoma?

Participant

Hi. I am wondering what others thought about drugs that suppress the immune system? My husband has psoriatic arthritis (and psoriasis) and was put on low dose prednisone because he was in so much pain that he couldn't function in everyday life. Within about 4 months of starting the prednisone he developed melanoma. He has since went off of it because we thought it would slow his recovery (stage 1A with a WLE). As of now, he is back to being in excruciating pain. Is there anyone in this group who has arthritis and takes prednisone or methotrexate? I have read that they both can cause melanoma so imagine he would have a greater chance to get it again. Thoughts? Thanks-Robin

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Colleen66
        Participant
          Hi Robin.

I don’t know of any connection. But, I was on immunosuppressive meds for years for multiple AI issues. I’m 3b and NED. Immunosuppressive meds are no longer an option for me to help with other AIs so it’s symptom management at this point. Good luck. Colleen mo

jpg
            Participant

They don't necessarily cause melanoma, but I know you have to be very careful about sun exposure with them. Be sure to ask about other drugs, no one should be in pain.

jpg
              Participant

They don't necessarily cause melanoma, but I know you have to be very careful about sun exposure with them. Be sure to ask about other drugs, no one should be in pain.

jpg
                Participant

Colleen66
                Participant
                  Hi Robin.

I don’t know of any connection. But, I was on immunosuppressive meds for years for multiple AI issues. I’m 3b and NED. Immunosuppressive meds are no longer an option for me to help with other AIs so it’s symptom management at this point. Good luck. Colleen mo

Colleen66
                  Participant
                    Hi Robin.

ET-SF
                    Participant

There are two instances in my own family of someone being put under extraordinary emotional stress (think high corticosteroid levels), only to develop cancer and die within a few years.  We also have close friends for which this has been true.  There are also sometimes dormant pathogens that spring to life when the immune system is compromised — like tuberculosis.  I would personally have to have a very compelling reason to go on any drug that would compromise the integrity of my immune system.

ET-SF
                      Participant

There are two instances in my own family of someone being put under extraordinary emotional stress (think high corticosteroid levels), only to develop cancer and die within a few years.  We also have close friends for which this has been true.  There are also sometimes dormant pathogens that spring to life when the immune system is compromised — like tuberculosis.  I would personally have to have a very compelling reason to go on any drug that would compromise the integrity of my immune system.

ET-SF
                        Participant

DZnDef
                          Participant

I was on prednisone (10-40mg/day) for a year and three months followed by 3 months of methotrexate  around 1995.  I had my first Stage IV spot on my lung found July 2012.  Seems like a really long break to blame the melanoma on those drugs.  More likely it was multiple factors that contributed to my cancer.  Maybe those drugs were a first step.  I don't know.  Ten years ago I was on heavy doses of Cipro which seemed to cause several moles to change.  I had one removed but it wasn't melanoma.  But again, this might have been one more straw.  Then 8 years ago I was on fertility drugs (IVF) – another straw?  Then 4 years ago my father died leading to profound grief – final straw?  Two years after his death my lung tumor was found.  I don't know that any one thing causes us to get cancer.  More likely its a combination of things or a cascade effect.  Keeping the immune system in tip-top shape would seem to be a good defense against getting cancer.  Harder to do as we get older.

Good luck to you and your husband!

Maggie

DZnDef
                            Participant

I was on prednisone (10-40mg/day) for a year and three months followed by 3 months of methotrexate  around 1995.  I had my first Stage IV spot on my lung found July 2012.  Seems like a really long break to blame the melanoma on those drugs.  More likely it was multiple factors that contributed to my cancer.  Maybe those drugs were a first step.  I don't know.  Ten years ago I was on heavy doses of Cipro which seemed to cause several moles to change.  I had one removed but it wasn't melanoma.  But again, this might have been one more straw.  Then 8 years ago I was on fertility drugs (IVF) – another straw?  Then 4 years ago my father died leading to profound grief – final straw?  Two years after his death my lung tumor was found.  I don't know that any one thing causes us to get cancer.  More likely its a combination of things or a cascade effect.  Keeping the immune system in tip-top shape would seem to be a good defense against getting cancer.  Harder to do as we get older.

Maggie

DZnDef
                              Participant

Maggie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics