The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post Surgery Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Post Surgery Question

Participant

Hi MRF Family  –

Hi MRF Family  –

Just a question. I had the WLE/SNB done on 1/24/2012. The WLE was done on my inner thigh, and node removed from my groin. I would think at this point (2 weeks out) I would no longer be sore. The groin area is pretty swollen, like a huge egg under the incision, with pain going down to my knee. I guess being sore is kinda norma, however, this lump has me concerned. The WLE area is still sore as well. I am sure it doesn’t help that I irritate the area all day by sitting at a desk, but just to walk is painful, almost feels tight. No oozing or anything, so I am not thinking infection, but how long does the soreness, swelling and pain last? I have a follow up with my surgeon tomorrow.

Kelli

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kim41
        Participant

Hello Kelli, I also had my WLE on my outer left thigh. You probably have developed a seroma, which is an accumalation of lymph fluid under the skin and this is painful. I had pain and soreness, tightness down to my knee for 6weeks. I had a limp for a while. Its better now but I had the all my lymph nodes removed from left groin. My sentinel node was microscopically positive. They can drain the fluid out with a needle. Its is good you are calling you Doctor. Hope everything goes well. Keep your leg elevated as much as possible, this may help.                     

Kim

Kim41
          Participant

Hello Kelli, I also had my WLE on my outer left thigh. You probably have developed a seroma, which is an accumalation of lymph fluid under the skin and this is painful. I had pain and soreness, tightness down to my knee for 6weeks. I had a limp for a while. Its better now but I had the all my lymph nodes removed from left groin. My sentinel node was microscopically positive. They can drain the fluid out with a needle. Its is good you are calling you Doctor. Hope everything goes well. Keep your leg elevated as much as possible, this may help.                     

Kim

Kelli100299
              Participant

Hi Kim, thanks for the response. Funny you mention a limp because I have been doing it for a week. I thought maybe I was too quick in trying to get back to my regular routine. I typically go to the gym M-F, so I cut back to 3X/wk, doing nothing too strenuous (ie: running), so i probably irritated something. Another needle..yippeeee (lol), thanks for the advice and I hope you are doing well since your surgery.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                Participant

Hi Kim, thanks for the response. Funny you mention a limp because I have been doing it for a week. I thought maybe I was too quick in trying to get back to my regular routine. I typically go to the gym M-F, so I cut back to 3X/wk, doing nothing too strenuous (ie: running), so i probably irritated something. Another needle..yippeeee (lol), thanks for the advice and I hope you are doing well since your surgery.

Kelli

Kelli100299
                  Participant

Kelli

Mike N
                    Participant

My Primary was on my left thigh also. I developed what they call a lymphocele (hard egg shaped swollen area) just below the node removal site. The lymph fluid just doesn't know where to go for a while. I had the fluid drianed a couple of times by the surgeon in the office during the first week of my recovery from the surgery.

Your doctor or surgeon will know about this one.

Also, the lymph node site was tender for a while, also kind of nerve pain during certain movements, but not all the time.

Hang in there.

Mike N

Mike N
                      Participant

My Primary was on my left thigh also. I developed what they call a lymphocele (hard egg shaped swollen area) just below the node removal site. The lymph fluid just doesn't know where to go for a while. I had the fluid drianed a couple of times by the surgeon in the office during the first week of my recovery from the surgery.

Also, the lymph node site was tender for a while, also kind of nerve pain during certain movements, but not all the time.

Hang in there.

Mike N

Kelli100299
                        Participant

Thanks Mike – Nice to know that it is 'normal' after surgery. I am not looking forward to the drainage, however, if it alleviates the pain then I am for it. Let you know the outcome and I hope you are doing well in your recovery!

Kelli

Kelli100299
                          Participant

Thanks Mike – Nice to know that it is 'normal' after surgery. I am not looking forward to the drainage, however, if it alleviates the pain then I am for it. Let you know the outcome and I hope you are doing well in your recovery!

Kelli

Kelli100299
                            Participant

Kelli

Kelli100299
                              Participant

Hi Mike and all, just wanted to let you know….you guys diagnosed me right.

I just returned from my 2 week visit with the surgeon. Past couple days I was walking with a limp, and the egg thingy, drained somewhat down to my knee, and now my leg is extremely tender, enflamed etc. The surgeon told me that fluid had accumulated and the nurse was going to drain it. That was a treat…nothing like having a swollen, tender bump/leg pushed on…..then, she removed my outside stitches that were embedded in the scabs, not to mention the tenderness around that area…I told her, you almost got kicked, lol. I don’t have a fever, but the redness, burning, fluid and limp are signs of infection, so she called in an antibiotic for me. She said it should start to feel better in a couple days. If no more fluid develops I am due to see my surgeon in July. I asked him about scans (J3P), he said we will do that in a year. I asked him if I was now in the 90%….and he feels for me it’s more like 96%, 4-5% of reoccurrence. He told me I have to check the area, if I feel any nodules etc, I must come back as it may have reoccurred. I know they can never tell you it’s completely gone, but I am happy with 96%….of course, which I am sure you all can relate, I was thinking on the way back to work..he is just telling me that so this MEL doesn’t consume my life….so we will see.

Question – even though nothing spread for now, I am still considered (by health/life insurance companies) to have cancer right? I am NED? Prior to my SNB diagnosis, I was looking into additional life insurance and most websites said cancer patients were not accepted, however there were different timeframes in which they would possibly accept me…like cancer free 5 or 10 years…I assume with MEL it's NED for 5 years?

Have a good day everyone!

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                Participant

I just returned from my 2 week visit with the surgeon. Past couple days I was walking with a limp, and the egg thingy, drained somewhat down to my knee, and now my leg is extremely tender, enflamed etc. The surgeon told me that fluid had accumulated and the nurse was going to drain it. That was a treat…nothing like having a swollen, tender bump/leg pushed on…..then, she removed my outside stitches that were embedded in the scabs, not to mention the tenderness around that area…I told her, you almost got kicked, lol. I don’t have a fever, but the redness, burning, fluid and limp are signs of infection, so she called in an antibiotic for me. She said it should start to feel better in a couple days. If no more fluid develops I am due to see my surgeon in July. I asked him about scans (J3P), he said we will do that in a year. I asked him if I was now in the 90%….and he feels for me it’s more like 96%, 4-5% of reoccurrence. He told me I have to check the area, if I feel any nodules etc, I must come back as it may have reoccurred. I know they can never tell you it’s completely gone, but I am happy with 96%….of course, which I am sure you all can relate, I was thinking on the way back to work..he is just telling me that so this MEL doesn’t consume my life….so we will see.

Question – even though nothing spread for now, I am still considered (by health/life insurance companies) to have cancer right? I am NED? Prior to my SNB diagnosis, I was looking into additional life insurance and most websites said cancer patients were not accepted, however there were different timeframes in which they would possibly accept me…like cancer free 5 or 10 years…I assume with MEL it's NED for 5 years?

Kelli

Minnesota
                                  Participant

Ouch Kelli! What a rotten thing to go through, but hopefully this is the end of it. I hope you notice a difference today and it keeps getting better.

Its possible that everyone is 96% just for being human, so don't think about that number. The important thing is that you caught it, it's been removed, and now you'll be very aware of any changes in the future. 

I don't know about life insurance other than many have sliding rates for everyone. 

I hope you can enjoy the rest of your day, it probably doesn't feel like it now, but having your stitches out is going to make a big difference in the next few days. You are now doctor-free for awhile – that's reason to celebrate!

Minnesota
                                    Participant

Ouch Kelli! What a rotten thing to go through, but hopefully this is the end of it. I hope you notice a difference today and it keeps getting better.

Its possible that everyone is 96% just for being human, so don't think about that number. The important thing is that you caught it, it's been removed, and now you'll be very aware of any changes in the future. 

I don't know about life insurance other than many have sliding rates for everyone. 

I hope you can enjoy the rest of your day, it probably doesn't feel like it now, but having your stitches out is going to make a big difference in the next few days. You are now doctor-free for awhile – that's reason to celebrate!

Minnesota
                                      Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

Glad you got things taken care of.  Just wanted to comment on your insurance ideas – 5 or 10 years NED.   Unless things change by then (5 or 10 years, I mean), I wouldn't necessarily count on it.  Some earlier stage individuals have been able to get it after many years, but melanoma seems to be a disqualifying factor for many agencies.  No expiration date.  So if you can get additional through work or anywhere that doesn't ask medical questions, it would be a good choice.   Who knows, it may be something you can find, but right now – it's looking for a needle in a haystack. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                          Participant

Glad you got things taken care of.  Just wanted to comment on your insurance ideas – 5 or 10 years NED.   Unless things change by then (5 or 10 years, I mean), I wouldn't necessarily count on it.  Some earlier stage individuals have been able to get it after many years, but melanoma seems to be a disqualifying factor for many agencies.  No expiration date.  So if you can get additional through work or anywhere that doesn't ask medical questions, it would be a good choice.   Who knows, it may be something you can find, but right now – it's looking for a needle in a haystack. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Kelli100299
                                              Participant

Thanks Janner – Someone had mentioned to me that normally with a SNB they take 3 lymphnodes to be sure, my surgeon took 1, should I be concerned? It was a thought of mine (to take both) but when I showed my surgeon there were 2 that the radiology group marked,  he didn't feel it was necessary unless the first came back positive. The more I think about it I just wonder what the thought process was there….

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                Participant

Thanks Janner – Someone had mentioned to me that normally with a SNB they take 3 lymphnodes to be sure, my surgeon took 1, should I be concerned? It was a thought of mine (to take both) but when I showed my surgeon there were 2 that the radiology group marked,  he didn't feel it was necessary unless the first came back positive. The more I think about it I just wonder what the thought process was there….

Kelli

Kelli100299
                                                  Participant

Kelli

Janner
                                                    Participant

3 isn't "standard".  Anything between 1 and 5 is what I've seen.  Standard is whatever stands out to the doctor at that time.  If one node is really all that lights up, then one node is all that is taken.  Sometimes, nodes are in a cluster and a small cluster might be taken if one of the nodes is the sentinel node.  I'm assuming that the node they took of yours was THE sentinel node.  But I can't second guess your surgeon's choice.  If he does SNB's all the time, he's the expert. 

Janner

Janner
                                                      Participant

3 isn't "standard".  Anything between 1 and 5 is what I've seen.  Standard is whatever stands out to the doctor at that time.  If one node is really all that lights up, then one node is all that is taken.  Sometimes, nodes are in a cluster and a small cluster might be taken if one of the nodes is the sentinel node.  I'm assuming that the node they took of yours was THE sentinel node.  But I can't second guess your surgeon's choice.  If he does SNB's all the time, he's the expert. 

Janner

Janner
                                                        Participant

Janner

kjkaralekas
                                                          Participant

They only took out one for mine and I wished they had taken out one more. Found out 6 months later it was in the lymph node next to the one they took out. But all the drs said the standard is to take out one. I was just unlucky.

kjkaralekas
                                                            Participant

They only took out one for mine and I wished they had taken out one more. Found out 6 months later it was in the lymph node next to the one they took out. But all the drs said the standard is to take out one. I was just unlucky.

kjkaralekas
                                                              Participant

Minnesota
                                                                Participant

As you know, they only took one of mine, but I was told before surgery that they were going to take any next to the sentinel that dye went to. Since the other lymph node of yours that attracted dye was in another basin, or whatever its called, maybe there are two paths from the legs. I am guessing he wanted to check the closest one.

Did they find anything in the wide excision pathology? Again, I don't know, but that might be expected from having an initial punch biopsy (an example would be that the tumor was deeper than the amount of tissue that was taken so they would find something in that one area).  

I keep telling myself that everything that could possibly be done, was done. We have the best results possible.  If there are microscopic undetectable cells floating around somewhere, we need to hope that our bodies are busy killing them off. As someone replied to me last month, this might be happening in countless people all the time unknowingly and their bodies are fighting them. Ours just happened to get smart enough to make a tumor that we discovered it and had it removed. 

I have lingering doubts too, I'm sure that's normal. All the doctors who saw me made such a big deal about my high mitotic rate and that still bothers me. I don't know what it takes to get past all these feelings, probably lots of time without anything happening. Hugs to you Kelli

Minnesota
                                                                  Participant

As you know, they only took one of mine, but I was told before surgery that they were going to take any next to the sentinel that dye went to. Since the other lymph node of yours that attracted dye was in another basin, or whatever its called, maybe there are two paths from the legs. I am guessing he wanted to check the closest one.

Did they find anything in the wide excision pathology? Again, I don't know, but that might be expected from having an initial punch biopsy (an example would be that the tumor was deeper than the amount of tissue that was taken so they would find something in that one area).  

I keep telling myself that everything that could possibly be done, was done. We have the best results possible.  If there are microscopic undetectable cells floating around somewhere, we need to hope that our bodies are busy killing them off. As someone replied to me last month, this might be happening in countless people all the time unknowingly and their bodies are fighting them. Ours just happened to get smart enough to make a tumor that we discovered it and had it removed. 

I have lingering doubts too, I'm sure that's normal. All the doctors who saw me made such a big deal about my high mitotic rate and that still bothers me. I don't know what it takes to get past all these feelings, probably lots of time without anything happening. Hugs to you Kelli

Minnesota
                                                                    Participant

Mike N
                                                                      Participant

Hi Kelli,

Sorry for the late reply, this site was not accepting my old login and would not let me change my password until today.

One thing I wanted to let you know is that although it may be the case that you will have a difficult time with added life insurance, you may be able to get insurance on your home loan if you have one. I did that one year after my mm diagnosis. When I mentioned it to the banker, he thought it was nothing and simply went ahead and signed the papers.

I guess you never know and it is worth a try.

Mike

Mike N
                                                                        Participant

Hi Kelli,

Sorry for the late reply, this site was not accepting my old login and would not let me change my password until today.

One thing I wanted to let you know is that although it may be the case that you will have a difficult time with added life insurance, you may be able to get insurance on your home loan if you have one. I did that one year after my mm diagnosis. When I mentioned it to the banker, he thought it was nothing and simply went ahead and signed the papers.

Mike

Mike N
                                                                          Participant

Hi Kelli,

Mike

Kelli100299
                                                                            Participant

Kelli

Mike N
                                                                              Participant

Hang in there.

Mike N

Kim41
                                                                              Participant

Kim

Minnesota
                                                                                Participant

I hope the surgeon can help with the pain tomorrow, sorry this is happening!

Minnesota
                                                                                  Participant

Minnesota
                                                                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                      Participant

Keep us informed.  Sounds like the antibiotic should be what you needed.  In the case of a single lymph node removal there shoud be essentially no follow-on problems.  Do try to kep the leg/foot elevated as much as possible so that the lymph system can remove as much fluid as possible. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                        Participant

Keep us informed.  Sounds like the antibiotic should be what you needed.  In the case of a single lymph node removal there shoud be essentially no follow-on problems.  Do try to kep the leg/foot elevated as much as possible so that the lymph system can remove as much fluid as possible. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics