The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post Immunotherapy – Hypophysitis / Adrenal Insufficiency

Forums General Melanoma Community Post Immunotherapy – Hypophysitis / Adrenal Insufficiency

Participant

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has run into Adrenal Insufficiency post Immunotherapy treatment? My treatment ended late May 2016 (Nivo) due to side effects and a recurrance in a lymph node. Continued to feel poorly and was put on Prednisone for 4 weeks 40mg tapering down to 10mg. Felt great and then a few weeks passed and began to feel poorly again. Finally last week, I was refered to an Endrocrinologist and I was diagnosed with Hypophysitis / Adrenal Insufficiency and have been put on Hydrocortisone 20mg morning 10mg afternoons. I'm feeling ok but not as good as when I was on the Prednisone. Better, just not 100%… maybe 85%. Also, Thyroid is weak so they put me on a low dose supplement. I'm an athlete and during this time I lost at least 40% of my muscle mass. Trying to gain some back but it's a slow tiresome process in my current state.

Was wondering if anyone else has gotten this and how they're dealing with it? Are you on Prednisone or Hydrocortisone? How do you feel? Any long term effects, things to watch out for? Were you able to get completely off the steroids?

Finally, does anyone have recomendations for Endrocrinologists that has experience in Immunotherapy side effects. There are a lot of good Endros out there but few with this experience.

Thanks!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

Hi there.  I don't have any experience with immunotherapy side effects, but I have a lot of experience with adrenal insufficiency.  Hydrocortisone is a better choice for AI than prednisone because it more closely mimics the body's production of cortisol.  It is a faster-acting drug, and has a shorter half-life than prednisone. It is also to wean from if you can get to that point.  

What are your symptoms, or can you explain how you feel "off"?  Balancing the dosage of hydro can be very tricky, especially since external stress factors can impact how normal physiological dose.  

Where are you located?  I know some very good endos, but not sure how many of them have experience with immunotherapy.

casagrayson
          Participant

Hi there.  I don't have any experience with immunotherapy side effects, but I have a lot of experience with adrenal insufficiency.  Hydrocortisone is a better choice for AI than prednisone because it more closely mimics the body's production of cortisol.  It is a faster-acting drug, and has a shorter half-life than prednisone. It is also to wean from if you can get to that point.  

What are your symptoms, or can you explain how you feel "off"?  Balancing the dosage of hydro can be very tricky, especially since external stress factors can impact how normal physiological dose.  

Where are you located?  I know some very good endos, but not sure how many of them have experience with immunotherapy.

jvictoria
              Participant

Hi Susan,

Thanks! The symptoms begin with muscle pain in my larger muscle groups, quads, calves, glutes… I'm a cyclist so I guess it hits those hardest because of the stress they get from cycling. Just to note… the pain occurs if I work or out or just sit on the couch doing nothing for a week. The pain is like the lactic acid feeling you get from working out too much. This is closely follow by (in progressing order) fatigue, loss of apetite, chills, joint aches… 

I travel between Chicago and South Florida… but, I am predominatly in Chicago.

jvictoria
                Participant

Hi Susan,

Thanks! The symptoms begin with muscle pain in my larger muscle groups, quads, calves, glutes… I'm a cyclist so I guess it hits those hardest because of the stress they get from cycling. Just to note… the pain occurs if I work or out or just sit on the couch doing nothing for a week. The pain is like the lactic acid feeling you get from working out too much. This is closely follow by (in progressing order) fatigue, loss of apetite, chills, joint aches… 

jvictoria
                  Participant

Hi Susan,

casagrayson
                    Participant

Juan,

That sounds to me like you are heading to adrenal crisis.  Feels kinda like you have the flu, right?  I'd probably up the hydrocortisone (maybe to 25/10, or even 25/10/5) and see if you feel better.  A full-blown crisis will typically result in severe diarrhea, vomiting, fuzzy thinking, and eventually unconsciousness.  You don't want to go there!  The symptoms you describe are the way adrenal patients feel when they wean from one dose to another — trouble is, you aren't supposed to be weaning!  The other choice is to just try to ride these symptoms out to see if your adrenals recover enough to produce more cortisol; just make sure you don't start the slide into crisis.  

FYI, if the doctor didn't tell you this:  
                      If you start vomiting or have diarrhea, take an additional 20mg of hydro.  If you don't keep it down, or symptoms don't abate, take another 20mg of hydro.  If that doesn't work, use your emergency injectable (you DO have one, don't you?) and get to the ER.   *Never* take the injectable and stay home waiting for it to work — you will need additional solu-cortef and fluid support to balance your electrolytes.

casagrayson
                      Participant

Juan,

That sounds to me like you are heading to adrenal crisis.  Feels kinda like you have the flu, right?  I'd probably up the hydrocortisone (maybe to 25/10, or even 25/10/5) and see if you feel better.  A full-blown crisis will typically result in severe diarrhea, vomiting, fuzzy thinking, and eventually unconsciousness.  You don't want to go there!  The symptoms you describe are the way adrenal patients feel when they wean from one dose to another — trouble is, you aren't supposed to be weaning!  The other choice is to just try to ride these symptoms out to see if your adrenals recover enough to produce more cortisol; just make sure you don't start the slide into crisis.  

If you start vomiting or have diarrhea, take an additional 20mg of hydro.  If you don't keep it down, or symptoms don't abate, take another 20mg of hydro.  If that doesn't work, use your emergency injectable (you DO have one, don't you?) and get to the ER.   *Never* take the injectable and stay home waiting for it to work — you will need additional solu-cortef and fluid support to balance your electrolytes.

casagrayson
                        Participant

Juan,

casagrayson
                          Participant

Oh, another thing.  The 10mg of prednisone that you were on is equal to 40mg of hydrocortisone.  That's probably why you aren't feeling as well as you were before.  

casagrayson
                            Participant

Oh, another thing.  The 10mg of prednisone that you were on is equal to 40mg of hydrocortisone.  That's probably why you aren't feeling as well as you were before.  

jvictoria
                              Participant

Wow Susan… Thank you so much for all this great information. They did give me the syringe, I have to say that freaked me out. Do you know if they make an EpiPen type device for it?

It's good to know that the 10mg equals 40mg, that explains things.

I only got the flu like symptoms twice, once with a tooth infection and once post surgery… both times I had tapered off Prednisone.

So, final question… any long term things to worry about with this condition and the steroids?

Thanks 🙂

casagrayson
                                Participant

Unfortunately, there is no epi-type pen.  Just the ridiculously huge syringe and the vial.  😉  My suggestion would be to get someone in your household trained to inject you.  Something else to know … most states will not allow EMTs to inject a patient's emergency meds.  The Addison's Patient Groups are working to get than changed.

You shouldn't develop any issues from the steroids, because all you are doing is replacing the physiological dose that your body would normally be producing.  Watch out for these symptoms:  central weight gain, insomnia, thinning skin, facial flushing, and a "moon face".  These would indicate that your pituitary is recovering and you might need to reduce your hydro dosage or stop it completely.

casagrayson
                                  Participant

Unfortunately, there is no epi-type pen.  Just the ridiculously huge syringe and the vial.  😉  My suggestion would be to get someone in your household trained to inject you.  Something else to know … most states will not allow EMTs to inject a patient's emergency meds.  The Addison's Patient Groups are working to get than changed.

You shouldn't develop any issues from the steroids, because all you are doing is replacing the physiological dose that your body would normally be producing.  Watch out for these symptoms:  central weight gain, insomnia, thinning skin, facial flushing, and a "moon face".  These would indicate that your pituitary is recovering and you might need to reduce your hydro dosage or stop it completely.

casagrayson
                                    Participant

jvictoria
                                      Participant

Wow Susan… Thank you so much for all this great information. They did give me the syringe, I have to say that freaked me out. Do you know if they make an EpiPen type device for it?

I only got the flu like symptoms twice, once with a tooth infection and once post surgery… both times I had tapered off Prednisone.

So, final question… any long term things to worry about with this condition and the steroids?

Thanks 🙂

jvictoria
                                        Participant

Thanks 🙂

casagrayson
                                          Participant

srcarcaterra
                                            Participant

Juan,   Were you able to figure out your dosing so that you could ride again?  I, too, am a cyclist.  I had 4 cycles of Opdivo/Yervoy in 2016.  I develeoped adrenal insufficiency and was put on 7.5 mg of prednisone.  I find when I ride, I have no power in my legs, get cramps in my quads, get dizzy and confused on long hard rides.  I also have little appetite, chills, joint pain and it takes days for me to recover enough to ride again.  I am happy to be alive, but miss being able to do long hard rides.  Have  you figured anything out?  Nice to find a fellow cyclist with this condition.   

Thanks,

Steve

DoubleTT
                                              Participant
                                                I am having a lot of side affects from my Mavis Study clinical trial called Polynoma 103A from Polynoma. Going into year two of vaccine injections. Finally after one year saw my blood and urinalysis. I am supposed to be in a double blind study but because of the side affects being so obvious my oncologist is monitoring me closely. I have an extremely low cortisol levels. Just found out now after one year! no wonder I feel awful and exhausted. My joint pain is insane whether I sit or play a hard game of tennis ( which later fatigues me) It is at a dangerously low level. I have been blaming the vaccine ingredients when all along its been the adverse reactions. My blood glucose is really high as well which can bring on type 1 diabetes. etc. what I do like to know was did you tell the doctor your cortisol levels were affecting you or did he take preventative measures to intervene. I am afraid they will knock me out of the study but have adrenal failure and hypopituitarism is not healthy at all. I have every miserable symptoms of this endocrine adverse reaction and feel like crap. My cognitive skills are not functioning either.
                                              casagrayson
                                              Participant

BrianP
                                                Participant

Juan,

I developed hypophysitis during my immunotherapy treatment in Jan 14.  Subsequent blood work showed low cortisol and testosterone so I have been on 5 to 7.5 mg prednisone daily and androgel (a topical testosterone).  It's worked fairly well for me.  I think you are correct in that not many endocrinologist have much experience with this.  I saw a endocrinologist named Dr. Mary Vance at the University of Virginia.  I didn't know it at the time but apparently she is pretty well known in the endocrinologist field.  If you are close to that area she might be worth a visit. 

Brian

jvictoria
                                                    Participant

Thanks Brian!!!

jvictoria
                                                      Participant

Thanks Brian!!!

jvictoria
                                                        Participant

Thanks Brian!!!

BrianP
                                                        Participant

Juan,

I developed hypophysitis during my immunotherapy treatment in Jan 14.  Subsequent blood work showed low cortisol and testosterone so I have been on 5 to 7.5 mg prednisone daily and androgel (a topical testosterone).  It's worked fairly well for me.  I think you are correct in that not many endocrinologist have much experience with this.  I saw a endocrinologist named Dr. Mary Vance at the University of Virginia.  I didn't know it at the time but apparently she is pretty well known in the endocrinologist field.  If you are close to that area she might be worth a visit. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                          Participant

Juan,

Brian

MoiraM
                                                            Participant
                                                              Yes, I had hypophysitis in June 2015 but it was a side effect of Ipi not Nivo.

I am in the UK so I cannot give you recommendations for endocrinlogists. I am being treated by a cutting edge endocrinology team who see me as the first of many. Pituitary problems were relativerly rare but they aren't going to be if immunotherapy becomes the standard treatment for melanoma.

I have no anterior pituitary function, so my thyroid produces no thyroxine and my adrenal glands produce no cortosol. There are probably a clutch of other hormones missing, but I am only replacing the thyroxine and the cortisol.

My endocrinologist, who has researched this, says that I am an extreme case and others have recovered some function. The order of recovery is (1st) testosterone production, (2nd) thyroxine production and (3rd) cortisol production. If you are producing testoterone and thyroxine, I would say there was some hope for recovery.

An additional problem is that high steroid doses may make a person's adrenal cortex pack up so even if your pituitary gland recovers, the adrenal cortex can no longer respond to the ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone) from the pituitary gland. You may like to consider asking your endocrine team when you find one to keep your adrenal cortex active by periodic stiluation with injected ACTH.

I have struggled to get the replacement doses for my missing hormones correct. I have limited energy and my tolerance for stress had dropped to close to nothing.

Unlike many others, I was never on high dose steroids, I never went over 15 mg/day prednisolone and that was not at the start (like you I was on 10 mg/day and felt great). The higher dose was only for two weeks when the side effects of Ipi suddenly returned three months after my last treatment.

I point blank refused to come off predinisiolone and go onto hydrocortisone. I am currently on 8 mg/day prednisiolone although everyone considers a 'replacement dose' to be between 5 mg and 7.5mg per day. I tried going down to 7.5 mg and I refuse to live my life feeling that crap.

I asked my endocrinologist if she could prove to me that I was not an outrider who needed 8mg/day. She couldn't, because the testing is so underdeveloped.

I have been on 75 mcg levothyroxine per day but a psychologist suggested I check where I was in the 'normal' range and I was closer tp the bottom than the top, so I am experimenting with raising my level thyroxine dose to see if I can get more energy.

I believe there is an US olympic gymnast with pituitary dysfunction and he takes 7.5 mg prednisolone/day.

I have heard of younger people (I am 56) trying a Plenadren, which is a slow release formulation which can give a better profile of corisol throughout the day.

Of course the other problem is the prospect of having to deal with a 'crisis' when your body suddenly requires high levels of cortisol and you cannot produce it. I lead a very boring and low-risk existence so this is not a problem I have had to deal with yet.

Good luck!
                                                              MoiraM
                                                              Participant

I am in the UK so I cannot give you recommendations for endocrinlogists. I am being treated by a cutting edge endocrinology team who see me as the first of many. Pituitary problems were relativerly rare but they aren't going to be if immunotherapy becomes the standard treatment for melanoma.

I have no anterior pituitary function, so my thyroid produces no thyroxine and my adrenal glands produce no cortosol. There are probably a clutch of other hormones missing, but I am only replacing the thyroxine and the cortisol.

My endocrinologist, who has researched this, says that I am an extreme case and others have recovered some function. The order of recovery is (1st) testosterone production, (2nd) thyroxine production and (3rd) cortisol production. If you are producing testoterone and thyroxine, I would say there was some hope for recovery.

An additional problem is that high steroid doses may make a person's adrenal cortex pack up so even if your pituitary gland recovers, the adrenal cortex can no longer respond to the ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone) from the pituitary gland. You may like to consider asking your endocrine team when you find one to keep your adrenal cortex active by periodic stiluation with injected ACTH.

I have struggled to get the replacement doses for my missing hormones correct. I have limited energy and my tolerance for stress had dropped to close to nothing.

Unlike many others, I was never on high dose steroids, I never went over 15 mg/day prednisolone and that was not at the start (like you I was on 10 mg/day and felt great). The higher dose was only for two weeks when the side effects of Ipi suddenly returned three months after my last treatment.

I point blank refused to come off predinisiolone and go onto hydrocortisone. I am currently on 8 mg/day prednisiolone although everyone considers a 'replacement dose' to be between 5 mg and 7.5mg per day. I tried going down to 7.5 mg and I refuse to live my life feeling that crap.

I asked my endocrinologist if she could prove to me that I was not an outrider who needed 8mg/day. She couldn't, because the testing is so underdeveloped.

I have been on 75 mcg levothyroxine per day but a psychologist suggested I check where I was in the 'normal' range and I was closer tp the bottom than the top, so I am experimenting with raising my level thyroxine dose to see if I can get more energy.

I believe there is an US olympic gymnast with pituitary dysfunction and he takes 7.5 mg prednisolone/day.

I have heard of younger people (I am 56) trying a Plenadren, which is a slow release formulation which can give a better profile of corisol throughout the day.

Of course the other problem is the prospect of having to deal with a 'crisis' when your body suddenly requires high levels of cortisol and you cannot produce it. I lead a very boring and low-risk existence so this is not a problem I have had to deal with yet.

Good luck!
                                                                MoiraM
                                                                Participant

Good luck!
                                                                    jvictoria
                                                                    Participant

Thanks for the info… good to hear about the 1,2 and 3… my testosterone is normal, thyroid about 50% and cortisol very low. Keeping my fingers crossed.

jvictoria
                                                                      Participant

Thanks for the info… good to hear about the 1,2 and 3… my testosterone is normal, thyroid about 50% and cortisol very low. Keeping my fingers crossed.

jvictoria
                                                                        Participant

BrianP
                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the info Moria.  As best I can tell plenadren is further along in Europe than in the US.  Not sure if it's approved here or not.  Do you know if it's still considered a steriod.  Believe it or not I've already run into some difficulty with a trial due to my 5mg – 7.5 mg daily dose of prednisone.  Would be nice if there was a way around it.

BrianP
                                                                            Participant

Thanks for the info Moria.  As best I can tell plenadren is further along in Europe than in the US.  Not sure if it's approved here or not.  Do you know if it's still considered a steriod.  Believe it or not I've already run into some difficulty with a trial due to my 5mg – 7.5 mg daily dose of prednisone.  Would be nice if there was a way around it.

BrianP
                                                                              Participant

MoiraM
                                                                                Participant

I am afraid plenadren is still a steroid.

Do you think the exclusion from the trial is becuse you are taking steroids or because you have adrenal insuffiency and they are worried about a crisis or further damage?

If it is really because you are 'takig steroids' a statement from an endocrinologist that you on a replacement dose ,and therefore have no more cortisol in your system than anyone else, may help.

MoiraM
                                                                                  Participant

Do you think the exclusion from the trial is becuse you are taking steroids or because you have adrenal insuffiency and they are worried about a crisis or further damage?

If it is really because you are 'takig steroids' a statement from an endocrinologist that you on a replacement dose ,and therefore have no more cortisol in your system than anyone else, may help.

MoiraM
                                                                                    Participant

KAF
                                                                                    Participant

Hi

I completed 3 doses of ipi/nivo after being diagnosed in May and I got horrible headaches one week after my 3rd dose.  MRI showed the inflammation of the pituitary.  I went on 70mg prednisone and was being weaned down by 20mg every 3 days.  when I got down to 10mg the headaches came back.  Went in for another MRI and the pituitary was back to being the same size as before the prednisone.  Was put back on 70mg but the headaches weren't going away.  I was put on 100mg last week for 5 days.  Met wtih endocrinologist yesterday and she told me to drop down to 80mg this week starting this morning.  I'm going to stay on 80mg until next wednesday when i see her agian.  right now my T4 numbers are normal by my TSH is very erratic.  she says they're not entirely reliable due to all the dosage and inflammation changes.  I like that she's monitoring me closely and the goal is to wean me off the high doses and hopefully get me back on some nivo maintenance with my oncologist once the prednisone levels are stabilized.  She also gave me a glucose meter to check my blood sugars to make sure the predinsone isn't causing problems (I had vision problems with the 2nd inflammation).  I see Dr. Zarnecki in Skoke (she also has an office in bannockburn up by highland park).  She's a young woman but she seems to be very informed about immunotherapies and understands the side affects.  She was on vacation when I got the first side affect and my oncoligist wanted me to see her when she got back because she thought it was more important to see an endo with knowledge immunotherapies instead of seeing somoene quickly who didn't have that knowledge.  

karen

KAF
                                                                                      Participant

Hi

I completed 3 doses of ipi/nivo after being diagnosed in May and I got horrible headaches one week after my 3rd dose.  MRI showed the inflammation of the pituitary.  I went on 70mg prednisone and was being weaned down by 20mg every 3 days.  when I got down to 10mg the headaches came back.  Went in for another MRI and the pituitary was back to being the same size as before the prednisone.  Was put back on 70mg but the headaches weren't going away.  I was put on 100mg last week for 5 days.  Met wtih endocrinologist yesterday and she told me to drop down to 80mg this week starting this morning.  I'm going to stay on 80mg until next wednesday when i see her agian.  right now my T4 numbers are normal by my TSH is very erratic.  she says they're not entirely reliable due to all the dosage and inflammation changes.  I like that she's monitoring me closely and the goal is to wean me off the high doses and hopefully get me back on some nivo maintenance with my oncologist once the prednisone levels are stabilized.  She also gave me a glucose meter to check my blood sugars to make sure the predinsone isn't causing problems (I had vision problems with the 2nd inflammation).  I see Dr. Zarnecki in Skoke (she also has an office in bannockburn up by highland park).  She's a young woman but she seems to be very informed about immunotherapies and understands the side affects.  She was on vacation when I got the first side affect and my oncoligist wanted me to see her when she got back because she thought it was more important to see an endo with knowledge immunotherapies instead of seeing somoene quickly who didn't have that knowledge.  

karen

KAF
                                                                                        Participant

Hi

karen

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics