The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Post craniotomy complications from meds?

Forums General Melanoma Community Post craniotomy complications from meds?

Participant

My dad had two seperate craniotomy's in the last month. His last one being about 2.5 weeks ago. 

They tapered him off his brain swelling meds and then last Sunday he started acting very strange, not really responding to my mom, speaking some gibberish, and becoming aggresive. 

They did a follow up CAT scan that looked good so they started him back up on the swelling medication but said it could be days to level out. 

It's been 4 days. His speech and ability to talk are worse then it was before surgery, he's wandering off and becoming aggresive toward my mom when she stops him, and we just keep being told to wait it out. 

His current neursurgeon is on spring break. I don't feel like my mom is being agressive enough to get him in to someone else. 

I guess I'm asking if this is normal?? Is this his new normal?? Should I step in and try to get him into someone or is it really just a wait it out and see thing. 

I'm concerned my mom wont be able to handle this much longer. 

*trying to get all the names of the meds from my mom now. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        snow white
        Participant

Honestly, if it was my Dad (we went through a similar situation last year) I would get him to the Doc asap.  Don't take chances, dealing with the brain is serious stuff and agressive is the only way to go.

Hope this helps.

Jen

mrspink
            Participant

Thanks. He was refusing to go to the ER with her last Sunday and I called 911. So he was seen then. 

I'm pushing her to get him in asap but she keeps saying she's talked to everyone and she's seeing his primary on Tuesday (not sure what that will do). 

It's a hard balance on inserting myself into this. 

marta010
            Participant

Hi – your dad's behavior does not seem like a normal post op situation to me.  My husband has also had two craniotomies – not closely spaced like your dad's – but his recovery was pretty swift.  It sounds like the swelling is not reacting to the steroids as it should be but that can vary with each patient.  The aggressive behavior may be medication related but I would definitely push to be seen by another doc in the neurosurgery practice asap.  

mrspink
                Participant

Thank you both! 

From what I was reading it didn't feel right to me either. It's hard not being directly involved with his Dr's. (My parents said I can be but I'm having a hard time getting connected with the Dr's. I live about 2 hours away)

The first week or so after he seemed to be doing SO great too…so this was a bit shocking. 

mrspink
                  Participant

Thanks again for your replys. My dad had a nurse and speech therapist come to their home today and they finally red flagged his progress and behavior. 

He's in the ER running tests. Thanks for encouraging me to push a little harder I think it helped with my mom's decsion to take him in. 

casagrayson
                    Participant

That is good news!  I hope they can figure out what is causing the problem and fix it quickly.  May I ask how old your father is?  My dad is elderly, and the times his speech has become garbled and he seemed agitated he ended up having a urinary tract infection!  It's pretty common in the elderly, and it could be that the catheterization during surgery created an issue.  Another thing — has your Dad signed HIPAA release forms so that you can be included in all discussions?  

mrspink
                      Participant

Hi Susan, Sorry for the delay. It's been a crazy week. 

My dad is 66. It ended up being a pretty intense few days. He completely lost his ability to speak and tests indicated seizure. Started him on anti seizure medication which he is slowly showing improvement on. He was releasedf from the hopsital on Sunday. 
                        They also found that he has developed a heart arthymia and there was a debate on starting him on blood thinners. They decided against it because of some blood still in his brain. 

He has signed the HIPPA release form for me so I'm getting more invovled now. 

Now we're in recovery mode and starting to get back on track wtih a PET scan and trageted radiation in the next week or so. 

Thank you. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics