The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Positive Node

Forums General Melanoma Community Positive Node

Participant

Hi all.  Just received word from my oncologist that my lymph node biopsy (right armpit) contained spitzoid cells and he recommends being aggressive and treating me for stage 3a. 

?!??!

Hi all.  Just received word from my oncologist that my lymph node biopsy (right armpit) contained spitzoid cells and he recommends being aggressive and treating me for stage 3a. 

?!??!

I am having a PET scan & brain MRI on Thursday, plus a pre-op appt to remove more nodes.  I am really confused.  Not one month ago I was told no further treatment was necessary after my February wide-excision & inconclusive SLNB.  What are spitzoid cells anyway?  Doc said they're common in younger people (I'm 29). So confused as to what's happening……  Guess I'll know more on Thursday. 

Any advice?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I might consider sending your slides to Boris Bastian.  He was at UCSF but is now on the east coast somewhere.  (Google him and you'll find him).  He and his team have done a lot of research on Spitz nevi and would be a good place to have your slides re-read.  If they are unsure, they have developed a genetic test which can further narrow down the odds of whether or not the lesion is a Spitz (benign) or malignant.  However, you might have to wait a bit for results.  But I'd definitely want to have an expert in that area reading the slides and giving me their informed opinion if at all possible.  I would not want to be treated as stage III if it really were  a Spitz nevus.

Spitz nevus are totally benign and often found in young individuals.  However, they are almost indistinguishable from melanoma under the microscope.  When you get someone over 20, it becomes a question as to whether it is really a Spitz Nevus or really malignant.  Hence the confusion with yours.

If it were me, I'd definitely seek an opinion from Dr. Bastian before proceeding with more invasive treatments.  YOU have to do what make YOU the most comfortable, however!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I might consider sending your slides to Boris Bastian.  He was at UCSF but is now on the east coast somewhere.  (Google him and you'll find him).  He and his team have done a lot of research on Spitz nevi and would be a good place to have your slides re-read.  If they are unsure, they have developed a genetic test which can further narrow down the odds of whether or not the lesion is a Spitz (benign) or malignant.  However, you might have to wait a bit for results.  But I'd definitely want to have an expert in that area reading the slides and giving me their informed opinion if at all possible.  I would not want to be treated as stage III if it really were  a Spitz nevus.

Spitz nevus are totally benign and often found in young individuals.  However, they are almost indistinguishable from melanoma under the microscope.  When you get someone over 20, it becomes a question as to whether it is really a Spitz Nevus or really malignant.  Hence the confusion with yours.

If it were me, I'd definitely seek an opinion from Dr. Bastian before proceeding with more invasive treatments.  YOU have to do what make YOU the most comfortable, however!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Ali
              Participant

My lesion was a spitzoid type and they couldn't tell if it was melanoma just by looking under the microscope, so they sent it off to have it DNA tested at UCSF, and it did come back melanoma.  I waited for 3 months for the testing to come back, and then they did the SNB, which was positive.  I guess my advice is don't take spitzoid cells lightly.  Good luck to you!

Ali
                Participant

My lesion was a spitzoid type and they couldn't tell if it was melanoma just by looking under the microscope, so they sent it off to have it DNA tested at UCSF, and it did come back melanoma.  I waited for 3 months for the testing to come back, and then they did the SNB, which was positive.  I guess my advice is don't take spitzoid cells lightly.  Good luck to you!

Ali
                  Participant

blairashley
                    Participant

Great advice — My initial diagnoses of the primary lesion was actually confirmed by UCSF after the lab at my hospital came back inconclusive twice.  I am definitely going to ask my doctor about sending the inconclusive SLNB slides, too!  You're right — I don't want to be treated for something unnecessary!  But I am, of course, taking it very seriously.  I want the scans done regardless (peace of mind)… so I will go through with those on Thursday.

blairashley
                      Participant

Great advice — My initial diagnoses of the primary lesion was actually confirmed by UCSF after the lab at my hospital came back inconclusive twice.  I am definitely going to ask my doctor about sending the inconclusive SLNB slides, too!  You're right — I don't want to be treated for something unnecessary!  But I am, of course, taking it very seriously.  I want the scans done regardless (peace of mind)… so I will go through with those on Thursday.

blairashley
                        Participant

Jenjen
                          Participant

Hi!

My name is Jen and i am 29. I was diagnosed stage 3 a at 26. I had a lesion on my foot that was perfectly symmetrical skin colored and was misdiagnosed 3 times. When they finally sent it to the lab it was confirmed as melanoma. But the report said it had some features of a spitz nevus tumor. So i sought out a second opinion with Dr. Bastian and Dr. Daud at UCSF. Their pathology department decided that it was melanoma but that it resembled a spitzoid tumor so much that " the implication of the cells " was unknown. Once they biopsied the lymphnode they could only find 3 atypical cells that resembled BOTH melanoma and spitzoid cells. They were basically saying that because they couldn't really tell exactly what the cells were, they couldnt give me a prognosis. Anyways, we went back and forth debating about treatment but ultimately decided that because i was so young, we would go ahead with treatment. I did a year of interferon, high dose for a month and low dose for 11 months. Ipi wasnt available then..along with some other new treatments. I get scans now every 6 months and am almost 3 years out. Still praying it doesnt come back and taking it one day at a time.

Anyways, I go to an oncologist here in san diego but also up to UCSF because Dr. Daud is fantasitic, as is there melanoma center. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jen

Jenjen
                            Participant

Hi!

My name is Jen and i am 29. I was diagnosed stage 3 a at 26. I had a lesion on my foot that was perfectly symmetrical skin colored and was misdiagnosed 3 times. When they finally sent it to the lab it was confirmed as melanoma. But the report said it had some features of a spitz nevus tumor. So i sought out a second opinion with Dr. Bastian and Dr. Daud at UCSF. Their pathology department decided that it was melanoma but that it resembled a spitzoid tumor so much that " the implication of the cells " was unknown. Once they biopsied the lymphnode they could only find 3 atypical cells that resembled BOTH melanoma and spitzoid cells. They were basically saying that because they couldn't really tell exactly what the cells were, they couldnt give me a prognosis. Anyways, we went back and forth debating about treatment but ultimately decided that because i was so young, we would go ahead with treatment. I did a year of interferon, high dose for a month and low dose for 11 months. Ipi wasnt available then..along with some other new treatments. I get scans now every 6 months and am almost 3 years out. Still praying it doesnt come back and taking it one day at a time.

Anyways, I go to an oncologist here in san diego but also up to UCSF because Dr. Daud is fantasitic, as is there melanoma center. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jen

Jenjen
                              Participant

Hi!

Jen

Jenjen
                                Participant

Hi!

Jen

Jenjen
                                  Participant

Hi!

Jen

Jenjen
                                    Participant

Hi!

Jen

blairashley
                                        Participant

Wow Jen.  This sounds eerily similiar to what I am dealing with.  Drugs are my worst nightmare — praying that won't be necessary in my case.  I am glad you're doing well and I hope it continues to be good news for you!!  Thanks for the advice and for telling your story — very helpful for me!  Sounds like UCSF is legit.

blairashley
                                          Participant

Wow Jen.  This sounds eerily similiar to what I am dealing with.  Drugs are my worst nightmare — praying that won't be necessary in my case.  I am glad you're doing well and I hope it continues to be good news for you!!  Thanks for the advice and for telling your story — very helpful for me!  Sounds like UCSF is legit.

blairashley
                                            Participant

malika
                                            Participant

I, too, am confused by Spitz nevus vs Spitzoid malignant melanoma.  My 8 year old son has been diagnosed with Spitzoid malignant melanoma, stage 3b. The original site was his shin; shave biopsy was followed by WLE & SNLB.  But the recommendation from one major cancer center is just for monitoring, because "it is rare for malignant melanoma to spread aggressively in a child."  This doesn't help me feel better.  We have an appt at a major melanoma clinic next week.   He also had a Spitz nevus removed from his temple (3/23), which came back with "only" moderate atypicia, and I was relieved it wasn't melanoma!  On this past Monday (4/9), the site on his temple was further excised and came back today with clear margins.  

malika
                                              Participant

I, too, am confused by Spitz nevus vs Spitzoid malignant melanoma.  My 8 year old son has been diagnosed with Spitzoid malignant melanoma, stage 3b. The original site was his shin; shave biopsy was followed by WLE & SNLB.  But the recommendation from one major cancer center is just for monitoring, because "it is rare for malignant melanoma to spread aggressively in a child."  This doesn't help me feel better.  We have an appt at a major melanoma clinic next week.   He also had a Spitz nevus removed from his temple (3/23), which came back with "only" moderate atypicia, and I was relieved it wasn't melanoma!  On this past Monday (4/9), the site on his temple was further excised and came back today with clear margins.  

blairashley
                                                  Participant

So sorry about your son! So young to be dealing with such heavy stuff. ๐Ÿ™ Glad to hear about the site on his temple coming back clear and yeah, my doctor said the same thing about sptiz melanoma rarely spreading aggressively in children. We actually discussed that today. Take care and best wishes!!

blairashley
                                                    Participant

So sorry about your son! So young to be dealing with such heavy stuff. ๐Ÿ™ Glad to hear about the site on his temple coming back clear and yeah, my doctor said the same thing about sptiz melanoma rarely spreading aggressively in children. We actually discussed that today. Take care and best wishes!!

blairashley
                                                      Participant

malika
                                                      Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics