The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

POG – Targeted Therapy

Forums General Melanoma Community POG – Targeted Therapy

Participant

Hi Guys

So, my long-awaited POG results have arrived, the dna has revealed no obvious hereditary diseases and even better, a healthy PDL-1, so I should respond well to immunotherapy.

The two tumor genes that show "amplification" are Nras and CCND1. so the plan moving forward is to start  work on the CCND1 with an existing breast cancer drug, Palbociclib (Ibrance), as a targeted therapy to block the CDK4/6 pathway and keep the potential of a MEK inhibitor in my back pocket for the Nras gene "amplification". That order has been decided for me as MEK inhibitors are reserved for BRAF patients here in British Columbia and I'm BRAF wild, although my onc hinted that they could be flexible if push comes to shove.

My question to you all is has anybody had success on Palbociclib, I believe this worked for Cindy's mum. I'm also interested to hear if anyone has been on a trial to combine MEK and CDK4/6, I've heard good and bad stories of earlier trials looking into this combination. Also, a high percentage of current trials are duel treatment options, maybe that’s the way to go.

CT scan and the usual raft of baseline stuff first, so should be receiving the first dose in 4/6 weeks, it’s a pill, no more infusions, got to concentrate on the positive.
      The trial is # NCT03297606 called CAPTUR

keep on fighting

Tony

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        MarkR
        Participant

Hi Tony

Im afraid I have experience of that drug to offer any help but wanted to say I’m really pleased you have some options before you and I hope they are successful.

Best wishes

Mark

CindyJ
          Participant

Glad I checked the board tonight, that’s great news Tony! My mother is one month shy of taking Ibrance for two years. They started her on the max dose, 125 I believe, but after a couple of hospital stay infections (leg were her lymph nodes were removed in her groin) and really low blood counts, especially abs neutrophils, they’ve moved her to 100 to 75. She’s been at the 75 dose for over a year and doing extremely well. 

Side effects are tolerable for her, she’s really tired a lot (but she is 81), and Ibrance really messes with the blood counts, especially white, red and platelets. She used to have to get a weekly blood test but about a year ago it’s now monthly. Her body has adjusted and with the seven days off, has a chance to bounce back blood wise. She was warned in the beginning to stay away from sick people and wash her hands often because of the lower white blood cells.

Her first three PET/CT scans after starting Ibrance showed her pelvic tumor decreasing rapidly and then it was gone along with a suspected lung tumor that was never tested. Because of the study, she still gets her PETs every three months but we feel that although it’s a production for her, we stay on top of things that way. No word on how long she’ll be on it, since the study is so new. But her Oncologist thinks as long as it’s working…

During her last month’s Oncology appointment, our Doctor told us that because my mom is doing so well on the drug, they have prescribed Ibrance to three other patients with the CCND1 mutation (don’t think they’re melanoma) and it’s working for them too! So exciting!

Let me know how you do. We’re both praying for excellent results! Take Care! Cindy 

sister of patient
            Participant

Hi Tony – Like Mark, I just want to wish you the very best success with this drug!!! Go get em – "captur and kill" !!!!!

Barb

Bubbles
              Participant

You are paving the way, Tony!!  Glad that is seems you have options.  I wish you my best!  Go get 'em! celeste

cjm22
                Participant

Good to hear you have a plan now!! Hope you're doing well!

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics