The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pneumonia

Forums General Melanoma Community Pneumonia

Participant

I APOLOGIZE for just now getting back here…it's been one of those rides and I have run out of gas  I posted a ten days ago (something like that) about my side affects with Zelboraf.  I literally got every one.  At 7 days they took me off.  As of yesterday, all side affects seem to have lessened or gone away.  Everything but the fevers and chills.  We are on day 15? now?  Something like that. 

I APOLOGIZE for just now getting back here…it's been one of those rides and I have run out of gas  I posted a ten days ago (something like that) about my side affects with Zelboraf.  I literally got every one.  At 7 days they took me off.  As of yesterday, all side affects seem to have lessened or gone away.  Everything but the fevers and chills.  We are on day 15? now?  Something like that. 

Anyway, on Monday evening (last week) my Oncologist's partner wanted me seen at the ER.  She was concerned about the fevers lasting so long after stopping treatment.  Off we went.  Diagnosis after chest x-ray…..Pneumonia.  What?!?  Ok, so be it.  I stayed for IV round of antibiotics and sent home with script for Avalox.  Had appt. with my reg Onc. on Wednesday.  He did not believe it was pneumonia, but he did believe it to be mel.  He asked if I have the blood cultures which I did not.  Once I got home I called the Dr. who had the results and had them faxed to my Onc.  The cultures were neg. which rules out it being pneumonia.  Dizzy yet?  Onc. also put me back on Z 1pill 2x a day for 3 days, 2pills 2x a day until we get back from a short trip with the family (first in YEARS). 

I have no clue where or what my disease is doing.  Scans sometime in Oct.  I just want to feel good for a bit, ya know?  These all day all night fever episodes are getting the best of me.  Today, I will bake gingersnap and choc. chip cookies to freeze for the trip and turn my back on the beast. 

I pray for all of you each and every day who are warriors fighting the ugly.

Karin

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Karin you sure are having a tough time.Hopefully once you are back to your full doseage of"Z" it will work like its supposed to with only minor manageable side effects.Will pray that it only gets better for you real soon.Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Karin you sure are having a tough time.Hopefully once you are back to your full doseage of"Z" it will work like its supposed to with only minor manageable side effects.Will pray that it only gets better for you real soon.Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
            Participant

gabsound
              Participant
                Karin,

Sorry about you having to go into the hospital and having every side effect in the book. Hope you start feeling decent soon. I hate the hospital after biochemo. I’m sure I would starve to death- such bad food.

And yes, some times you just have to “live on the river denial” as my sister who also has cancer says. I spend a lot of time there!

Julie

gabsound
                Participant
                  Karin,

Sorry about you having to go into the hospital and having every side effect in the book. Hope you start feeling decent soon. I hate the hospital after biochemo. I’m sure I would starve to death- such bad food.

And yes, some times you just have to “live on the river denial” as my sister who also has cancer says. I spend a lot of time there!

Julie

gabsound
                  Participant
                    Karin,

Julie

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Karin,

So sorry to hear your are going through this. My derm told me, and it was true for me, that they are seeing some correlation between external responses (rash, etc) and at being indicative of the drug working.

Also I was told you can have fever with new tumors or fever when tumors are breaking up and the body is processing out the cancerous tissue. Despite 2 1/2 yrs of “experience” I still find some of it so confusing.

At least when I was off Zel I could tell when things hurt or something was going wrong. Side effects do seem to lessen and come and go after some time. At least they go!

Keep fighting And enjoy your trip!

deardad
                        Participant

Dear Karin,

What a roller coaster ride! I'm sorry you're feeling so rubbish at the moment, I hope things improve.

Bake you're cookies and enjoy the family time…..try to put Melanoma in the background so you can enjoy yourself.

Take care

Nahmi

deardad
                          Participant

Dear Karin,

What a roller coaster ride! I'm sorry you're feeling so rubbish at the moment, I hope things improve.

Bake you're cookies and enjoy the family time…..try to put Melanoma in the background so you can enjoy yourself.

Take care

Nahmi

deardad
                            Participant

Dear Karin,

Take care

Nahmi

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              Karin,

So sorry to hear your are going through this. My derm told me, and it was true for me, that they are seeing some correlation between external responses (rash, etc) and at being indicative of the drug working.

Also I was told you can have fever with new tumors or fever when tumors are breaking up and the body is processing out the cancerous tissue. Despite 2 1/2 yrs of “experience” I still find some of it so confusing.

At least when I was off Zel I could tell when things hurt or something was going wrong. Side effects do seem to lessen and come and go after some time. At least they go!

awillett1991
                              Participant
                                Karin,

Ali
                                Participant

Karin!  Hope you are feeling better.  You have been such a fighter, keep it up!

Ali
                                  Participant

Ali
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics