The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PLX 4032 (Zelboraf)

Forums General Melanoma Community PLX 4032 (Zelboraf)

Keymaster

The FDA approved the Plexxikon/Roche/Genentech BRAF inhibitor this morning, months before when they had to do so.  This is a great breakthrough in a number of ways:

–two drugs approved in one year after 13 years of nothing being approved

–approval of "targeted therapy", a different way of attacking melanoma than anything else that has been approved

–rapid approval by the FDA

The FDA approved the Plexxikon/Roche/Genentech BRAF inhibitor this morning, months before when they had to do so.  This is a great breakthrough in a number of ways:

–two drugs approved in one year after 13 years of nothing being approved

–approval of "targeted therapy", a different way of attacking melanoma than anything else that has been approved

–rapid approval by the FDA

All indications are that more drugs will be in the pipeline for approval in the next few years, so the field truly is changing.  This all has a long way yet to go, but progress is so very much better than no progress!

Tim–MRF

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant

This is such awesome news!  I've heard great things about the PLX 4032!! 

DeniseK
          Participant

This is such awesome news!  I've heard great things about the PLX 4032!! 

dutchhook
            Participant

Thanks Tim for posting. We are on the compassionate use study and were immediately concerned about my wife's treatment. Sounds like we'll be ok if our insurance picks it up. We did agree to be contacted by reporters on the drug as was requested last week on the MRF site.

We already got one phone call from a reporter today I guess. We're very thankful of the people who developed the drug and the doctors who got us into the study because without them, my wife might not be here today!

Steve & Teri

dutchhook
              Participant

Thanks Tim for posting. We are on the compassionate use study and were immediately concerned about my wife's treatment. Sounds like we'll be ok if our insurance picks it up. We did agree to be contacted by reporters on the drug as was requested last week on the MRF site.

We already got one phone call from a reporter today I guess. We're very thankful of the people who developed the drug and the doctors who got us into the study because without them, my wife might not be here today!

Steve & Teri

MariaH
                Participant

Thank you for sharing the news Tim.  I hope this will open more doorways for researchers looking into other mutations as well for the 46-60% that don't have the B-RAF.  A stepping stone for sure, but I hope that they are looking towards building a complete bridge over water!

MariaH
                  Participant

Thank you for sharing the news Tim.  I hope this will open more doorways for researchers looking into other mutations as well for the 46-60% that don't have the B-RAF.  A stepping stone for sure, but I hope that they are looking towards building a complete bridge over water!

Charlie S
                    Participant

Good to see, but what a dumb ass drug name.

You will not say it, but I will

Charlie S

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Any thoughts on how the name was developed?

Z (the)

e (from V600E)  (perhaps el froom mel?)

l

b (braf)

o (only)

raf

???

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Any thoughts on how the name was developed?

Z (the)

e (from V600E)  (perhaps el froom mel?)

l

b (braf)

o (only)

raf

???

dutchhook
                            Participant

Yep, kinda funny. Doesn't even sound batter backwards Faroblez?

dutchhook
                              Participant

Yep, kinda funny. Doesn't even sound batter backwards Faroblez?

Charlie S
                              Participant

Good to see, but what a dumb ass drug name.

You will not say it, but I will

Charlie S

shellebrownies
                                Participant

What does this mean for people who are signed up for the compassionate use trial? Are they going to be dropped from it, or if they are already signed up, will that continue? This is quite important to me; my husband is supposed to be starting the trial on Monday.

Thanks.

Michelle, wife of Don

dutchhook
                                    Participant

Every case might be different, but we have been in compassionate use for about 45 days. Just got our second batch of zelboraf. We called to see if we still have to go to chicago every 28 days. They said to come back down at least one more time and that we'd get one more 28 day supply for sure, then sounds like our insurance will have to cover from there.

dutchhook
                                      Participant

Every case might be different, but we have been in compassionate use for about 45 days. Just got our second batch of zelboraf. We called to see if we still have to go to chicago every 28 days. They said to come back down at least one more time and that we'd get one more 28 day supply for sure, then sounds like our insurance will have to cover from there.

shellebrownies
                                      Participant

What does this mean for people who are signed up for the compassionate use trial? Are they going to be dropped from it, or if they are already signed up, will that continue? This is quite important to me; my husband is supposed to be starting the trial on Monday.

Thanks.

Michelle, wife of Don

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics