The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PLX 4032 – Joint Pain Side Effects

Forums General Melanoma Community PLX 4032 – Joint Pain Side Effects

Participant

My ex wife has stage IV mel and was recently put on PLX 4032. The joint pain associated with taking the drug after a few days was difficult to tolerate even with lower doses. Has anyone else experienced this side effect?  If so, how did you manage the pain and was it long lasting? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you! 

My ex wife has stage IV mel and was recently put on PLX 4032. The joint pain associated with taking the drug after a few days was difficult to tolerate even with lower doses. Has anyone else experienced this side effect?  If so, how did you manage the pain and was it long lasting? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I have not been on that drug but I did have bone and joint pain when I was on GMCSF. A friend suggested drinking gateraide.  I drank 2 bottles a day and it really helped. If she wants to try this I would talk to her Dr first.  It was something to do with the electrolytes that are in gateraide.  I drank so much that year I can't stand to look at it now!

I hope your wife finds something that can help.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I have not been on that drug but I did have bone and joint pain when I was on GMCSF. A friend suggested drinking gateraide.  I drank 2 bottles a day and it really helped. If she wants to try this I would talk to her Dr first.  It was something to do with the electrolytes that are in gateraide.  I drank so much that year I can't stand to look at it now!

I hope your wife finds something that can help.

Linda

I suffered from joint pain and was told not to take Advil or Ibuprofen.  Instead they had me take Novalgin.  It worked esp. when I took it 24/7.  My feet also really swelled up as well as and were quite tender.  I had to realy look for comfortable shoes. 

Good luck with the b-raf.

Surrounding you and your ex-wife with love and light.

Shelly in Switzerland

I suffered from joint pain and was told not to take Advil or Ibuprofen.  Instead they had me take Novalgin.  It worked esp. when I took it 24/7.  My feet also really swelled up as well as and were quite tender.  I had to realy look for comfortable shoes. 

Good luck with the b-raf.

Surrounding you and your ex-wife with love and light.

Shelly in Switzerland

Napa K
            Participant

I spent 10 months on PLX 4032 and had a crazy difficult time with joint pain and swelling.  Anti inflammatory that worked best was Relafen, 1000  mg (500 am, 500 pm; max dose is 1500).  Same family as Advil but was easier on my stomach and more effective (but I did take something to protect my stomach too). Apparently it is an older drug that is/was generally used with arthritis so many docs were not familiar with it but my primary oncologist suggested it and was a big help.   Happy to talk more with you directly via email—[email protected]

Napa K
              Participant

I spent 10 months on PLX 4032 and had a crazy difficult time with joint pain and swelling.  Anti inflammatory that worked best was Relafen, 1000  mg (500 am, 500 pm; max dose is 1500).  Same family as Advil but was easier on my stomach and more effective (but I did take something to protect my stomach too). Apparently it is an older drug that is/was generally used with arthritis so many docs were not familiar with it but my primary oncologist suggested it and was a big help.   Happy to talk more with you directly via email—[email protected]

Viewing 5 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics