The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET scan shows NED

Forums General Melanoma Community PET scan shows NED

Participant
      I had a PET scan on Wednesday December 4 and received Opdivo immunotherapy today.

From the PET scan report:
      “IMPRESSION:
      1. The whole-body disposition FDG is physiologic.
      2. Previous study showed mild activity in left parapharyngeal lymph node. This has normalized.”

“Physiologic” means normal [NED].

PET scan SUV maximum of lymph node under my left jaw.
      3.7 2018 April
      4.2 2018 September
      4.0 2018 December
      3.2 2019 March
      2.6 2019 July
      2.0 2019 December ( “activity at background levels” )

The increased activity under my left law in September 2018 could have been disease progression. I skipped two 240 mg infusions of Opdivo, so I could have cataract surgery in both eyes in August 2018. The increased activity could have been pseudo-progression due to healing after radiation. I received radiation to that area under my left jaw in April and May 2018. Since the activity has decreased, I assume the increase to SUV 4.2 was pseudo-progression.

Dr. Anu Gaba has been my oncologist since September 2014. I have been receiving immunotherapy since November 2015. In March 2016 I had melanoma in several bones. Pembro immunotherapy had failed. I began ipi + nivo immunotherapy on April 1, 2016. My bone cancer disappeared. Then a tumor appeared under my left jaw. Dr. Gaba plans to stop immunotherapy in May. She bases her plan on recommendations of Dr. Jeffrey Weber.

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          That is really fantastic.
          sister of patient
          Participant
            That is fabulous news – so pleased for you Edwin!! Thank you for sharing it and wishing you the best, always!!!

Barb

Coragirl
            Participant
              I am so happy for you! Wonderful news.
              sing123
              Participant
                Great news, Edwin!
                lkb
                Participant
                  Thanks for posting this wonderful news! Does “activity at background levels” mean the tumor is necrotic? Or so small as to be undetectable?
                  Lisa
                    Edwin
                    Participant
                      The tumor had a hollow center, before the radiation to it. After the radiation, activity shown in PET scans spread out around where the lymph node had been. Hopefully, the radiation made the tumor necrotic.
                      lkb
                      Participant
                        Hollow center–amazing they can learn that! Can you still feel this tumor? Is it still there, but necrotic? Or are both node and tumor simply no longer there?
                        Thanks,
                        Lisa
                        Edwin
                        Participant
                          An MRI of my neck on May 3, 2018 found “Focus of hypermetabolism from recent PET CT likely corresponds with a 5.5 mm centrally necrotic lesion”. I did not notice this lymph node, which was near the site of the SLNB and CLND in my neck. I occasionally have a little neck pain which I attribute to the surgery.
                          lkb
                          Participant
                            Thanks, for responding, Edwin!
                          MelMel
                          Participant
                            Wonderful news! I guess Santa came early. Thank you for sharing and posting activity levels with dates.
                            Melanie
                            Bubbles
                            Participant
                              You are awesome, Edwin!!! That is wonderful!! You and your onc’s plan (and the research/researcher upon which it is based) sounds excellent! Keep on running! love, celeste
                              GeoTony
                              Participant
                                superb news, Santa did come early
                                sks2019
                                Participant
                                  so happy for you Ed, Wish you continued health and NED status.
                                  DoubleTT
                                  Participant
                                    Very happy for you Edwin!!! Are you NRAS?
                                    Tracey from Toronto…..ps. I am scared being NRAS my metastasis will spread again from my vertebrae t12 to other bones. Did one year Opdivo as adjuvant after they blew up my t12. So hearing you are successful on ipi and Opdivo for your bone metastasis is good to my ears …meaning if I metastasize again there’s something I can try. I am sending more positive vibes out into the universe for everyone on here..tt keep up your great work Edwin.!!!
                                      Edwin
                                      Participant
                                        My melanoma is negative for BRAF and for c-kit. I do not know my NRAF status.
                                      mrhubahuba
                                      Participant
                                        That’s a great success story! Love to hear good news. May we all get the same results.
                                    Viewing 10 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics