The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pet scan-need advice

Forums General Melanoma Community pet scan-need advice

Participant

Long story short, diagnosed in 2014 Stage 4, done the interferon, IL-2, Ipi, opdivo and now in genetic  clinical study.   The dr is only doing ct scan (chest, abdomen & pelvis) & mri of face (mel spread to sinus cavity).  When I asked if they will be doing pet scan he said no, the study does not require it. My question is should I be concerned of not having a pet scan? Is the ct & mri enough since it is covering the areas where the tumors are?  Wanted to get opinions before I call my local onc and talk to him and see if he recommends pet scan.  Thanks for your advice.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Johnjk04
        Participant

From 2008 to 2012 I had the mel pretty wide spread. Was in the initial ippi / nivo trial.

During all this time Yale New Haven performed zero PET scans. They rely on CAT and brain MRI for staging purposes.

NED since August 2012.

Johnjk04
          Participant

From 2008 to 2012 I had the mel pretty wide spread. Was in the initial ippi / nivo trial.

During all this time Yale New Haven performed zero PET scans. They rely on CAT and brain MRI for staging purposes.

NED since August 2012.

Johnjk04
            Participant

NED since August 2012.

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

MRI is better clarity in the brain than PET. CT of chest/ab/pelvis will show location and size, but not the "glow" of uptake… aka… how strong the individual tumor activity is. If the docs know that your tumors are growing by reviewing your CT's, which I assume is the reason you are advancing to a study (yes? no? maybe so?) then the PET may not necessarily be of much additional benefit. That's not to say it is useless, as they could view the tumor activity before the trial and during/post trial… in the event that the tumor size isn't a clear indication of the new treatment's efficacy. Your local oncologist may like to have the info for his own files, even if the study docs don't find it necessary for their data.

cf91
                  Participant

Thank you for your responses.  Feel better now.  Actually still waiting on results of scans from last week. Keeping fingers crossed!!

cf91
                    Participant

Thank you for your responses.  Feel better now.  Actually still waiting on results of scans from last week. Keeping fingers crossed!!

cf91
                      Participant

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

MRI is better clarity in the brain than PET. CT of chest/ab/pelvis will show location and size, but not the "glow" of uptake… aka… how strong the individual tumor activity is. If the docs know that your tumors are growing by reviewing your CT's, which I assume is the reason you are advancing to a study (yes? no? maybe so?) then the PET may not necessarily be of much additional benefit. That's not to say it is useless, as they could view the tumor activity before the trial and during/post trial… in the event that the tumor size isn't a clear indication of the new treatment's efficacy. Your local oncologist may like to have the info for his own files, even if the study docs don't find it necessary for their data.

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

snow white
                          Participant

Pleae make sure they are doing a MRI of your Brain, and not just your face.  I am sure they are, but my Dad's original doc only did scan from neck down.  Unfortunately , brain mets were not diagnosed until later and there were already 15 of them ๐Ÿ™

snow white
                            Participant

Pleae make sure they are doing a MRI of your Brain, and not just your face.  I am sure they are, but my Dad's original doc only did scan from neck down.  Unfortunately , brain mets were not diagnosed until later and there were already 15 of them ๐Ÿ™

snow white
                              Participant

Johnjk04
                                Participant

Cancersnewnormal, yes I went into the trial because the mel had progressed to my brain, lungs, liver, adrenal gland and gall bladder. So it looked like time to jump on something real quick. Was very fortunate because Yale New Haven and Sloane Kettering were the only hospitals with the trial.

Johnjk04
                                  Participant

Cancersnewnormal, yes I went into the trial because the mel had progressed to my brain, lungs, liver, adrenal gland and gall bladder. So it looked like time to jump on something real quick. Was very fortunate because Yale New Haven and Sloane Kettering were the only hospitals with the trial.

Johnjk04
                                    Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                        Participant

Dude… you have been through the ringer! Are the trial docs asking that you have any brain metastasis under control prior first? It sounds like you have had a long road of experience in just a couple of years! Hopefully this new treatment can bring you some turnabout. Best wishes! Keep us updated.  : )

cancersnewnormal
                                          Participant

Dude… you have been through the ringer! Are the trial docs asking that you have any brain metastasis under control prior first? It sounds like you have had a long road of experience in just a couple of years! Hopefully this new treatment can bring you some turnabout. Best wishes! Keep us updated.  : )

cancersnewnormal
                                            Participant

BrianP
                                            Participant

John,

Like others have already said most trials do CTs because they are interested in getting the closet measurements they can of the disease.  Just wanted to let you know during my two year trial there was at least once and maybe twice where I was able to get a PET outside of the trial because we wanted to get information the CT was unable to provide. 

Good luck to you.  What trial are you doing?

Brian

BrianP
                                              Participant

John,

Like others have already said most trials do CTs because they are interested in getting the closet measurements they can of the disease.  Just wanted to let you know during my two year trial there was at least once and maybe twice where I was able to get a PET outside of the trial because we wanted to get information the CT was unable to provide. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

John,

Brian

Johnjk04
                                                  Participant

Hello all – I was in the initial ippi / nivo combo trial. Yes I had one brain met at start of trial that had to be Cyber Knifed first. About 4 months into trial I had two more brain mets Cyber Knifed. Even though I am four years NED, I will never be considered a responder or even a partial responder in the trial.

Johnjk04
                                                    Participant

Hello all – I was in the initial ippi / nivo combo trial. Yes I had one brain met at start of trial that had to be Cyber Knifed first. About 4 months into trial I had two more brain mets Cyber Knifed. Even though I am four years NED, I will never be considered a responder or even a partial responder in the trial.

Johnjk04
                                                      Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics