The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET Scan & Lymph Nodes

Forums General Melanoma Community PET Scan & Lymph Nodes

Participant
      Hi!  I have a silly question 🙂 My last biopsy showed cancer in the lymph nodes.  I just had a PET scan and Dr. said no spread of the cancer.  I asked if it was still in my lymph nodes and he said only a biopsy can show that.  Is that correct?  I thought the PETS scan would show if it was in the lymph nodes but obviously I am confused!  Any info would be helpful.  My oncologist is leaving next week and so communication with him is not at it’s best right now.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Beany
        Participant
          Sorry i do not know. Anyone?
          MelWave
          Participant
            Pet scan can only show cancer that is more than approximately 5mm in size.
            So you can have traces of melanoma in your lymph nodes (say 1mm big tumor) that is not detectable on pet but is detectable easily on biopsy.
            Laurie Anderson
            Participant
              Thanks so much!
              kannevans
              Participant
                I had 4 Lymph nodes removed and 2 of them had microscopic cancer cells, the other 2 didn’t. They did not detect them on my Pet scan because they were microscopic.
                Hope this helps.
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics