The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PET/CT with contrast-what to eat???

Forums General Melanoma Community PET/CT with contrast-what to eat???

Participant

Hi,

I want to be able to get the "best" results from my scan.

I would appreciate anyone who can recommend what I should eat up to my 6 hours of fasting before scans. If you can be very specific (what kind of foods ie: vegies, meat, etc) this would be very helpful

Thanks,

a scared newbie!

Hi,

I want to be able to get the "best" results from my scan.

I would appreciate anyone who can recommend what I should eat up to my 6 hours of fasting before scans. If you can be very specific (what kind of foods ie: vegies, meat, etc) this would be very helpful

Thanks,

a scared newbie!

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Replies
        Donna M.
        Participant

First….hang in there!  I know your brain is going 1000 miles an hour.  Mine still does too some days, but take a deep breath, and take things a step at a time. 

My PET scan instructions were for a low carb diet beginning at dinner the night before the scan, and I was to have NO food or drink for 4 hours before the scan.  Also, no strenuous exercise or accupuncture for 12 hours prior to the scan.  You can have a small amount of water in the 4 hours before the scan.  

Make sure you don't wear clothing with zippers or other metal (I wore sweats).

If you would like to message me and provide your e-mail address, I will scan and e-mail the paper to you.  

Remember…keep breathing.  Hang in there.  BTW, I was just diagnosed in July.  =)

Donna M.
          Participant

First….hang in there!  I know your brain is going 1000 miles an hour.  Mine still does too some days, but take a deep breath, and take things a step at a time. 

My PET scan instructions were for a low carb diet beginning at dinner the night before the scan, and I was to have NO food or drink for 4 hours before the scan.  Also, no strenuous exercise or accupuncture for 12 hours prior to the scan.  You can have a small amount of water in the 4 hours before the scan.  

Make sure you don't wear clothing with zippers or other metal (I wore sweats).

If you would like to message me and provide your e-mail address, I will scan and e-mail the paper to you.  

Remember…keep breathing.  Hang in there.  BTW, I was just diagnosed in July.  =)

jax2007gxp
            Participant

This is fascintaing to me.  I just had my first PET/CT less than two weeks ago.  Other than fasting for six hours, no one advised me of a particular diet to follow.  I did understand how the scan works to the extent that if my glucose levels were too high prior to the test, it would be postponed.  So, for the few days prior to my test, I avoided processed sugar mostly.  Not sure if it helped, but figured it made sense.

Hang in there.  The test is not bad at all, mostly boring for me.  During the "relaxation" time, I wasn't even allowed to read a book.  Be prepared to be alone with your thoughts.  I made a mental list of the things I will be doing after I recover…not just a list, though…I focused on how great each of those experiences will feel.

You have found a wonderful group of supportive, knowledgeable and genuinely amazing people.  While it is not a "club" any of us would otherwise choose, I know I am thankful for each and every one of us on here.  All the best for good scan results!!!

Jacki

killmel
                Participant

Thank you Jacki & Donna,

Can anyone list specific foods I can  eat?

Donna M.
                  Participant

The sheet that I was given said the following foods are okay, but remember NO food within 4 hours:

Eggs, cheese, chicken, pork, fish, steak, bacon, sausage, salami, green veggies, mushrooms, peppers, diet soda, red wine, black coffee or tea.

Foods to avoid include: Pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, milk, soy milk, ice cream, sweets, fruit, beer and hard liquors.

Hope this helps!

Donna

Donna M.
                    Participant

The sheet that I was given said the following foods are okay, but remember NO food within 4 hours:

Eggs, cheese, chicken, pork, fish, steak, bacon, sausage, salami, green veggies, mushrooms, peppers, diet soda, red wine, black coffee or tea.

Foods to avoid include: Pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, milk, soy milk, ice cream, sweets, fruit, beer and hard liquors.

Hope this helps!

Donna

killmel
                      Participant

Thank you Jacki & Donna,

Can anyone list specific foods I can  eat?

jax2007gxp
                      Participant

This is fascintaing to me.  I just had my first PET/CT less than two weeks ago.  Other than fasting for six hours, no one advised me of a particular diet to follow.  I did understand how the scan works to the extent that if my glucose levels were too high prior to the test, it would be postponed.  So, for the few days prior to my test, I avoided processed sugar mostly.  Not sure if it helped, but figured it made sense.

Hang in there.  The test is not bad at all, mostly boring for me.  During the "relaxation" time, I wasn't even allowed to read a book.  Be prepared to be alone with your thoughts.  I made a mental list of the things I will be doing after I recover…not just a list, though…I focused on how great each of those experiences will feel.

You have found a wonderful group of supportive, knowledgeable and genuinely amazing people.  While it is not a "club" any of us would otherwise choose, I know I am thankful for each and every one of us on here.  All the best for good scan results!!!

Jacki

washoegal
                        Participant

My instructions did not restrict diet either but to be safe I did the low carb diet, if you really feel you need a specific list follow an Atkins diet  for the dinner before you scan and beyond.  You can find that on the internet.  It is basically Protein and Veggies, No sugar , No Bread, No Rice, etc.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                          Participant

My instructions did not restrict diet either but to be safe I did the low carb diet, if you really feel you need a specific list follow an Atkins diet  for the dinner before you scan and beyond.  You can find that on the internet.  It is basically Protein and Veggies, No sugar , No Bread, No Rice, etc.

Mary

Stage 3

Richard_K
                            Participant
                              I can’t add much to what has already been said except to relax. I have had some 13 PET/CT scans in the past 18 months. During more than one scan, I have had a quick nap during the scan.
                              Dick
                              Richard_K
                              Participant
                                I can’t add much to what has already been said except to relax. I have had some 13 PET/CT scans in the past 18 months. During more than one scan, I have had a quick nap during the scan.
                                Dick
                                ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                                Participant

My imaging center provides these instructions for preparing for a PET/CT.  I think every imaging center has slightly different rules/recommendations.

1) No exercise for 48-hrs prior to the test

2) A high protein/low carbohydrate diet for the day before the test.  (Limit bread, sugar, starches, and pasta)

3) Do not eat 5 hours prior to the exam. This includes gum or  mints. If on TPN, this must also be stopped 5 hours prior to the exam.

4) You may drink water only.

5) Take all routine medications.  However, if you are diabetic, NO INSULIN 6 hours before your test.

6) Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes.  (I'm always required to remove any metal, including my watch, earrings, and rings.  However, they've never made me remove my underwire bra – seems like a contradiction to me!)

As far as diet recommendations, the first time I got my prep sheet, I immediately thought "Atkins Diet, induction phase".  The Atkins diet is high protein, low carbohydrate, and the induction phase is the most stringent part of the diet.  That should give you a good list of dos/don'ts for food items.

Perfect! Atkins is the way to go before scans. I’ve done it for 5 years. Gives a good clean picture!
                                    Perfect! Atkins is the way to go before scans. I’ve done it for 5 years. Gives a good clean picture!
                                  ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                                  Participant

My imaging center provides these instructions for preparing for a PET/CT.  I think every imaging center has slightly different rules/recommendations.

1) No exercise for 48-hrs prior to the test

2) A high protein/low carbohydrate diet for the day before the test.  (Limit bread, sugar, starches, and pasta)

3) Do not eat 5 hours prior to the exam. This includes gum or  mints. If on TPN, this must also be stopped 5 hours prior to the exam.

4) You may drink water only.

5) Take all routine medications.  However, if you are diabetic, NO INSULIN 6 hours before your test.

6) Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes.  (I'm always required to remove any metal, including my watch, earrings, and rings.  However, they've never made me remove my underwire bra – seems like a contradiction to me!)

As far as diet recommendations, the first time I got my prep sheet, I immediately thought "Atkins Diet, induction phase".  The Atkins diet is high protein, low carbohydrate, and the induction phase is the most stringent part of the diet.  That should give you a good list of dos/don'ts for food items.

dian in spokane
                                    Participant

The day before should be low carb, no sugars.

So.. all meats are okay, beef, chicken (I always roast a whole chicken the night before that so I can nibble on it the day before and have it for lunch) lamb, fish, turkey. Leafy green veggies are great, like spinich, eggs are okay.

avoid fruits and juices, and carbs, so no pasta, rice, potatoes or bread, no dairy products either

Drink a lot of water, this will help when it comes time for them to insert the IV and help with those potato chip cravings (NO potato chips!!)

good luck!

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

The day before should be low carb, no sugars.

So.. all meats are okay, beef, chicken (I always roast a whole chicken the night before that so I can nibble on it the day before and have it for lunch) lamb, fish, turkey. Leafy green veggies are great, like spinich, eggs are okay.

avoid fruits and juices, and carbs, so no pasta, rice, potatoes or bread, no dairy products either

Drink a lot of water, this will help when it comes time for them to insert the IV and help with those potato chip cravings (NO potato chips!!)

good luck!

lhaley
                                        Participant

My instructions have been to not eat 4 hours before. And I must drink 20 ounces of water before. They actually give me a schedule.  Otherwise no instructions.  Each place is different. Call your hospital and ask for their specific instructions.  

They always take my sugar levels before the test.  To be safe I don't eat sugar the day before or strenuous excercise – but I don't usually do that anyway! lol

Good luck,  I have now had 21 PET scans (I think I glow)

Linda

Richard_K
                                            Participant
                                              Linda
                                              Looking at your profile, another rocky road, whew!
                                              Just curious, over what period of time for your 21 PET scans?
                                              I have had 13 in the past 18 months. I’m pretty sure my wife uses me for a nite light.
                                              Dick
                                              Richard_K
                                              Participant
                                                Linda
                                                Looking at your profile, another rocky road, whew!
                                                Just curious, over what period of time for your 21 PET scans?
                                                I have had 13 in the past 18 months. I’m pretty sure my wife uses me for a nite light.
                                                Dick
                                              lhaley
                                              Participant

My instructions have been to not eat 4 hours before. And I must drink 20 ounces of water before. They actually give me a schedule.  Otherwise no instructions.  Each place is different. Call your hospital and ask for their specific instructions.  

They always take my sugar levels before the test.  To be safe I don't eat sugar the day before or strenuous excercise – but I don't usually do that anyway! lol

Good luck,  I have now had 21 PET scans (I think I glow)

Linda

I love that you newly diagnosed have jumped on board here. I was diagnosed in 2008 and this is the best place for cutting edge everything and the most compassion ever! Welcome!
                                                I love that you newly diagnosed have jumped on board here. I was diagnosed in 2008 and this is the best place for cutting edge everything and the most compassion ever! Welcome!
                                            Viewing 16 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics