The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Persistent sore throat

Forums General Melanoma Community Persistent sore throat

Participant

Hello everyone,

I am Stage 1 patient, almost 8 years post-diagnosis.
      For 3 weeks now I have persistent sore throat and it scares me very much. I went to the PCP who did strep nest: negative. The ENT didn't find anything suspicious in the throat also when he used the mirror to look down to the larynx. However, he said that it could be acid reflux related because the entrance of my esophagus is raw and inflamed. He prescribed omeprazole. Well, after 1 week on omeprazole, it is not much better. I cannot locate the pain: sometimes it feels on one side on the throat, sometimes on another when I swallow. Have anyone experienced anything like that???? This sore throat drives me crazy. Thanks for listening.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mary-E
        Participant

Yes, I had the same symptoms which began about 6 months after stage 3 diagnosis.  It was in my case acid reflux.  I did not respond to medications (can't remember what I was given) but it did help to not eat or drink too close to bedtime. 

Mary-E
          Participant

Yes, I had the same symptoms which began about 6 months after stage 3 diagnosis.  It was in my case acid reflux.  I did not respond to medications (can't remember what I was given) but it did help to not eat or drink too close to bedtime. 

Mary-E
            Participant

dian in spokane
              Participant

So.. did your doctor also recommend some dietary changes to try along with the Omeprazole? Reflux OFTEN takes more than a little Ome to control. Sometimes one drug works and another does not.

BUT.. no matter which drug you take or don't, there are other things that do more to control it than drugs. There are enormous lists of foods to avoid out there on the web, but there are some pretty easy guidelines

AVOID:

acidic juices like orange juice, tomato, lemonade

caffeine

alcohol

chocolate

fried foods.

Try to make your evening meal a light one, and don't eat after dinner.

Try this for at least a couple of weeks WITH your Omeprezole and see if that helps.

You don't smoke do you?

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                Participant

So.. did your doctor also recommend some dietary changes to try along with the Omeprazole? Reflux OFTEN takes more than a little Ome to control. Sometimes one drug works and another does not.

BUT.. no matter which drug you take or don't, there are other things that do more to control it than drugs. There are enormous lists of foods to avoid out there on the web, but there are some pretty easy guidelines

AVOID:

caffeine

alcohol

chocolate

fried foods.

Try this for at least a couple of weeks WITH your Omeprezole and see if that helps.

You don't smoke do you?

Dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                  Participant

AVOID:

caffeine

alcohol

chocolate

fried foods.

You don't smoke do you?

Dian in spokane

robertgbirch
                    Participant

I am also stage1er. I’ve had off and on low grade sore throat and now and again have difficulty swallowing. ENT said that is due to back of throat being spongy and so collects phlegm and other gunk. He said there is nothing to be done (some people just born with it) and suggested I massage it with my finger – it’s not so easy as this induces the gag reflex but it helps.

robertgbirch
                      Participant

I am also stage1er. I’ve had off and on low grade sore throat and now and again have difficulty swallowing. ENT said that is due to back of throat being spongy and so collects phlegm and other gunk. He said there is nothing to be done (some people just born with it) and suggested I massage it with my finger – it’s not so easy as this induces the gag reflex but it helps.

robertgbirch
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

If it is acid reflux a little (couple of tablespoons) organic aloe vera juice helps if taken daily.  You can mix it in many things to drink it or in water.

Gene_S
                            Participant

If it is acid reflux a little (couple of tablespoons) organic aloe vera juice helps if taken daily.  You can mix it in many things to drink it or in water.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics