The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Patient Assistance from Bristol Myers Squibb

Forums General Melanoma Community Patient Assistance from Bristol Myers Squibb

Participant

Has anyone on here had to request Patient Assistance from Bristol Myers Squibb? We are in the unfortunate position of having to do so. We have been waiting for over a week, and are anxious about our chances, We are well below the income requirements, but it is my understanding that there are no guarantees. My husband does have Medicare, but unfortunately, his oncologist requires a little over $6000 as his part before they will begin treatment, and we don't have it, nor have any way of getting it. It would really make us feel better if someone here might be able to share their experiences with Bristol Myers Squibb or any other drug company?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

For Ipi there is a program from Bristol Meyers Squibb in which the cost of the medicine is free if the patient agrees to provide access to their medical records (I think BMS is most interested in the number of Ipi infusions a patient completes and what, if any, side effects they experience.)

The program is called Bristol Meyers Squibb Access Support. Adjuvant Patient Program for Melanoma

jennunicorn
          Participant

The social workers at hospitals are pros at helping figure out financial help options, I would start there. I have not had to pay for any drugs from BMS, but I think that's because my insurance pays it all, not really sure how it works. Why does the onc need $6000? Never heard of oncologist needing payment like that. Definitely the last thing we want to think about is financial stress.

Here is BMS's patient financial help number: 1-800-736-0003

I have a personal connection at BMS, if you need more help after contacting them for any reason, let me know and I can see what I can do to help. But, they are very nice there and should be able to walk you through the process, shouldn't be too difficult. There are other charities that help with drug costs too.

youngann
            Participant

My oncologist suggested applying to BMS for financial help. I filled out the forms in his office and they took care of everything for me. Within 48 hours, I was approved for up to $25,000 towards the Ipi infusions.

Good luck,

Ann

Bubbles
              Participant

I am not entirely sure what is going on with your husband's care…  But, first of all, if your husband has medicare the drugs and treatment should be covered.  If a doctor takes medicare, then it is actually ILLEGAL for them to chage the patient anything extra.  Only on very rare occasions is there anything a medicare patient has to pay…and that is when care is not covered.  Basic melanoma care has been covered for many on medicare.  Additionally, 6 thousand dollars PROSPECTIVELY is absolutely unheard of!!!  You can still certainly request help from BMS.  But I think a far more important call you need to make is to your medicare representative.  The next would be to find a new oncologist.  This is a scam, a shame, and WRONG!!!  Celeste

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Thank you for clarifying that Celeste, this has been boggling my mind all night. I am a youngster and don't know much about medicare, but I do know that my fellow peeps in the infusion clinic that I talk to who are on medicare don't pay for their drugs, and our oncologists don't charge more than a typical office visit to see them.. so this $6000 thing was making my head spin. 

Anon, take Celeste's advice ASAP! 

BoomerBenefits
                    Participant

Hey there, I saw your post about Medicare's coverage of cancer. People with Medicare and a Medigap plan actually have very full coverage that will usually cover their chemotherapy at 100%. Some people may have a small deductible depending on their plan. Here's a post that I just published about Medicare's coverage of cancer this morning. Feel free to shoot me any questions if you have them.

https://boomerbenefits.com/medicares-coverage-for-cancer/

Danielle

AliCat61
                      Participant

Sadly, it is not unheard of. It is common practice at Southern Cancer Centers. I have Viva Plus medicare coverage and I was asked to pay $6000 upfront. 

AliCat61
                      Participant

I have Viva Medicare Plus.  Southern Cancer required a $6000 up front payment before they would start my yeroy/opdivo combo infusions. I too had to request help from Bristol Myers Squibb. It took over a month to get approved. There is supposed to be someone in the office at Southern Cancer Center to assist with this. However, only after repeated calls to the Southern Cancer Center office did I find out that I had initially been rejected. I was asked to write a letter of appeal. I did so, and a little over a week later I was approved. All in all, I lost over a month waiting to start treatment because of Southern Cancer Center's policy of requiring $6000 up front. Be persistent. Call often to check progress. Call Bristol Myers Squibb directly and ask them about the status of your application if you feel that you aren't getting straight answers from the doctor's office. Don't be afraid to be a nag, It may save your life!

Sharon93065
                          Participant

I have Kaiser/Medicare, my Immunology is zero. My total out of pocket expenses for the year for any medical will not be over $5K.  So all of my tests (Petscans etc have been minimal).  The blood work costs more than the Dr.  Dr visits $10, blood work $25.   My friend who recently had lung cancer also had insurance with medicare and her total costs for the year would be no more than $5K.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics