The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Partial Neck Dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community Partial Neck Dissection

Participant

I'm having a partial neck dissection/removing lymph nodes Tuesday. Any pre-op or post-op advice from anyone here?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        kathycmc
        Participant

My daughter had this surgery 5 years ago.  Her Dr. warned her that there might be nerve damage that would affect the corner of her mouth.  Apparently one of the facial nerves doesn't like being even slightly touched.  She did have this happen and it affected her smile for a couple of years but has gradually gotten much better and only those who know can even tell.  I know all surgeries are differnent but If your Dr. hasnt mentioned this be sure to ask. Also, depending on how much surrounding tissue they remove know that there will be asymetry of your neck and lower face.  It doesn't look bad and again no one who doesn't know she had surgery notices.  Her recovery was pretty straight forward without much discomfort and now you have to look closely to see the scar although it has widened some since immediately post op. I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery.  

lkb
            Participant

Thanks, Kathy!

kathycmc
              Participant

I should probably mention that her first surgery (WLE and SNB) was performed by a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon for skin graft.  Results were not good.  The second surgery (the lymph node disection) was performed by an ENT who specializes in head and neck oncology.  World of difference.

lkb
                Participant

Thanks! That gives me some peace.

MelanomaMike
                Participant

IKB! it will go smooth brother, dont have much experiance in the Neck dept, i had Lymphnodes taken out my left legs "groin" area way back when all this started, drain bag with 1/4in hose, log book/measuring cup it sucked eggs for over a month but pulled through so, dont know if yer gunna have the same post-op "duties" with the same "maintanence" while healing, our brother "Tex" here at MRF had stuff done involving his neck, maybe he can share, let me email him to see…Warrior On ikb, Mike…

lkb
                    Participant

Thanks, Mike. The drain sounds rough, but I'm glad you pulled through. Do you feel it helped/was worth it?

MelanomaMike
                      Participant

Hi ikb, oh ya it helped! {the drain bag} if i didnt have it, my intire groin/leg would have swelled up like a baloon! it alowed an "exit" for lymphatic fluids till my body learned to absorb it on its own…

i was under the impression this was yer 1st neck surgery? 2nd time around should be less stresfull im sure, Godspeed on yer rocovery tommorow!…Mike

lkb
                        Participant

Thanks, Mike!

Edwin
                        Participant

I had 14 lymph nodes removed from my neck below my left jaw in August 2014 at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.  I spent the following night in the hospital.  Since then I have had a sore off and on in my skin in that area.  It was a bump that sometime bled.   It showed active in my December 2017 PET scan near the surface of my skin.  It has disappeared.  My guess is this sore was caused my the lack of lymph nodes.  My April PET scan showed cancer in a lymph node in the area of the 2014 surgery.

lkb
                            Participant

Edwin, thank you. This is my second lymph node removal in that area and I felt the first one never fully healed. Hoping to have a better result this time. Have you had another scan there since April?

Edwin
                              Participant

I have not had another PET scan since April.  I had radiation to that neck cancer, while continuing to receive Opdivo immunotherapy.   A PET scan in September will show whether the radiation helped.

lkb
                                Participant

Thanks, Edwin. My docs have not yet mentioned radiation and I'm not sure why. Will be hoping for good results on your PET scan in September.

HeidiZ
                                Participant

I had a complete lymph node dissection and removal of my thyroid back in November 2015, so it was a pretty big incision with the removal of 55 lymph nodes. I would say it took me awhile to be able to lift my head up straight and driving a car was difficult in the beginning when trying to look left, right and around. As it heals in the first year it will get stretched when you move your head which can be uncomfortable but normal and even now I still get some weird sensations in the scar tissue.  I didn't have any nerve damage at all but my shoulder and part of my neck are numb. I think you will do just fine. Good Luck.

HeidiZ

lkb
                                    Participant

Heidi, thank you. What was your best sleeping position post-op? I'm trying to prepare something ahead.

HeidiZ
                                      Participant

Honestly, I don't know if I had a favorite sleep position.  I can't remember any one position being more comfortable, because laying my head down was better than holding it up. lol

lkb
                                        Participant

Thanks, Heidi!

KellyH
                                        Participant

My son just had a complete left neck dissection  in May. They took 47 lymph nodes and his parotid gland. 

He stayed overnight in the hospital and came home with a drain that was removed 2 days later. He has a pretty big scar but it is healing well. No significant nerve damage or trauma, He has a little tweak to his smile but nothing really noticeable and it is getting even better with time. The swelling took a few weeks to go down. He had some stiffness  that also took a couple weeks to totally go away. 

His overall recovery time was quick, he is 17 years old so that was definitely in his favor. 9 days after surgery he was back playing baseball with no restrictions. 

I hope surgery goes well for you tomorrow!!!!! 

Prayers for a speedy recovery and good results!!!!! 

kelly 🙂 

lkb
                                            Participant

Thanks for your info and good wishes, Kelly! Wishing your son lots of baseball and no more melanoma.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics