The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Pain on Zel?

Forums General Melanoma Community Pain on Zel?

Participant

My sister has been on Zel for about 2 months, stage VI.   Tumors shrunk, but pain and fatigue have been bad.  She resists taking pain med and I can't get her to understand the importance of being out of pain to help her body heal.  She believes that no matter what, she is supposed to feel pain even tho dr's have told her they can control the pain if she follows regimen.  She has looked at this site but says she doesn't see where anyone else is having to take pain meds.  She is now on a pain patch but is still having a lot of pain.  Are others o

My sister has been on Zel for about 2 months, stage VI.   Tumors shrunk, but pain and fatigue have been bad.  She resists taking pain med and I can't get her to understand the importance of being out of pain to help her body heal.  She believes that no matter what, she is supposed to feel pain even tho dr's have told her they can control the pain if she follows regimen.  She has looked at this site but says she doesn't see where anyone else is having to take pain meds.  She is now on a pain patch but is still having a lot of pain.  Are others of you having much pain and how do you deal with it?  Thanks for any input.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          I take 2 Aleve twice. day, plus I am on prednisone to keep the inflammation down to where its bearable. This is for muscle & joint pain caused by the medication. You don’t say what kind of pain she’s having or where, more information would be helpful.
          awillett1991
          Participant
            I take 2 Aleve twice. day, plus I am on prednisone to keep the inflammation down to where its bearable. This is for muscle & joint pain caused by the medication. You don’t say what kind of pain she’s having or where, more information would be helpful.
            awillett1991
            Participant
                koveleskie
                Participant

One of the most worrisome are what her dermatologist calls balls of infection just under the skin, she usually has up to 10 all over her body, especially painful on the soles of her feet.  She can tell when they are coming up, they turn red and are very painful. She has a prescription cream she treats them with.   At night she has hip,leg and foot pain where she cannot sleep.  Mornings take about an hour to reach slow movement she can tolerate.  Fatigue is really getting her down mentally.  She is having a problem accepting she must conserve her strength for the most important things and let everything else go.  She did take prednisone for severe facial rash at first, but is not on it now.  I believe the cream does have prednisone.  Thanks for your concern 

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    So sorry to hear about all that. If she is still on the full dose I would really push to have it reduced. I am on 3pills twice a day, I cannot tolerate the full dose. I did sleep with ice packs on my feet for awhile but that did get better.

I have had 3 kinds of rash, one sounds like what you describe – the fat pads under the skin get irritated and the skin turns red and very sensitive. Mine not as bad though. I also have a hard time staying on the drug continually. Talk to your oncologist about maybe a break off the drug for a week or so.

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      So sorry to hear about all that. If she is still on the full dose I would really push to have it reduced. I am on 3pills twice a day, I cannot tolerate the full dose. I did sleep with ice packs on my feet for awhile but that did get better.

I have had 3 kinds of rash, one sounds like what you describe – the fat pads under the skin get irritated and the skin turns red and very sensitive. Mine not as bad though. I also have a hard time staying on the drug continually. Talk to your oncologist about maybe a break off the drug for a week or so.

awillett1991
                      Participant

dellriol
                        Participant

I had those knots too. I didn't get them on the soles of my feet, but I can imagine how painful that is.  It was bad enough on my calves and thighs.  My dermatologist called it panniculitis.  They gave me 10 mg pred for a joint  problem, and the knots have gone completely away.  I am now down to 5 mg prednisone and they have stayed gone.  I also joined  the aquaease program at my local YMCA.  That kept the hip and knee pain away.

dellriol
                          Participant

I had those knots too. I didn't get them on the soles of my feet, but I can imagine how painful that is.  It was bad enough on my calves and thighs.  My dermatologist called it panniculitis.  They gave me 10 mg pred for a joint  problem, and the knots have gone completely away.  I am now down to 5 mg prednisone and they have stayed gone.  I also joined  the aquaease program at my local YMCA.  That kept the hip and knee pain away.

dellriol
                            Participant

dellriol
                              Participant

One other thing.  I have to keep track of all the pain meds I take.  When I was taking the full 8 pills a day, I took OTC pain meds at least 3 times a day most days.  One caution, zelboraf and tylenol are both processed through the liver.  ALL my Drs were telling me to take tylenol, until I ended up hospitalized for liver problems. (bilirubin jumped to 11,normal is under 2)  Now I take ibuprofen.  It was interesting to me that even the Dr. that was treating me in the hospital for my liver kept telling me to take tylenol, even when I asked, "Isn't that hard on your liver?"

dellriol
                                Participant

One other thing.  I have to keep track of all the pain meds I take.  When I was taking the full 8 pills a day, I took OTC pain meds at least 3 times a day most days.  One caution, zelboraf and tylenol are both processed through the liver.  ALL my Drs were telling me to take tylenol, until I ended up hospitalized for liver problems. (bilirubin jumped to 11,normal is under 2)  Now I take ibuprofen.  It was interesting to me that even the Dr. that was treating me in the hospital for my liver kept telling me to take tylenol, even when I asked, "Isn't that hard on your liver?"

dellriol
                                  Participant

koveleskie
                                    Participant

One of the most worrisome are what her dermatologist calls balls of infection just under the skin, she usually has up to 10 all over her body, especially painful on the soles of her feet.  She can tell when they are coming up, they turn red and are very painful. She has a prescription cream she treats them with.   At night she has hip,leg and foot pain where she cannot sleep.  Mornings take about an hour to reach slow movement she can tolerate.  Fatigue is really getting her down mentally.  She is having a problem accepting she must conserve her strength for the most important things and let everything else go.  She did take prednisone for severe facial rash at first, but is not on it now.  I believe the cream does have prednisone.  Thanks for your concern 

koveleskie
                                      Participant

jmmm
                                      Participant
                                        Is she on a full dose? It sounds like she may need to reduce the dose if she’s having that bad of side effects. Many patients are on 2 or 3 pills twice a day instead of the full 4 twice a day. It helps reduce the side effects and still works. My husband has been on 3 twice a day for 14 months and is still responding. The side effects were bad with the full dose.
                                          NYKaren
                                          Participant
                                            When Tylenol doesn’t work, I sometimes take 4 mg. Dilaudid –I was originally prescribed oxycodone but it makes me itch terribly. Because of my inability to take Advil/Alleve for more than 1-2 doses, narcotics make it possible for me to function at times.
                                            At first I was embarrassed to ask for the meds, feeling like my docs would think I was a drug addict/abuser, but they assured me that there is no reason for me to suffer pain needlessly.
                                            I hope this helps a little–also, where is your sister being treated? Oncologists familiar/experienced with treating the side-effects of new drugs like Zel and Yervoy are crucial.
                                            All the best,
                                            Karen
                                            NYKaren
                                            Participant
                                              When Tylenol doesn’t work, I sometimes take 4 mg. Dilaudid –I was originally prescribed oxycodone but it makes me itch terribly. Because of my inability to take Advil/Alleve for more than 1-2 doses, narcotics make it possible for me to function at times.
                                              At first I was embarrassed to ask for the meds, feeling like my docs would think I was a drug addict/abuser, but they assured me that there is no reason for me to suffer pain needlessly.
                                              I hope this helps a little–also, where is your sister being treated? Oncologists familiar/experienced with treating the side-effects of new drugs like Zel and Yervoy are crucial.
                                              All the best,
                                              Karen
                                              NYKaren
                                              Participant
                                                All the best,
                                                Karen
                                                Bruce Davis
                                                Participant
                                                  Karen,
                                                  I’m one of the fortunate one’s been on Zel for 15 months. Have pain in bottom of feet partially due to super high arches, a lot of running in past, and Zel. At times felt like I was walking on diamond shaped stones barefooted. After trying many Drs. and many medicines sleeping pills that allowed me to lay on my back with legs on a couple pillows to relieve swelling of feet seemed to help the most.
                                                  Nurses from Zel might have better answers as they seem to hear everyone’s problems.
                                                  Wish you the best and Happy New Year!
                                                  Bruce Davis
                                                  Participant
                                                    Karen,
                                                    I’m one of the fortunate one’s been on Zel for 15 months. Have pain in bottom of feet partially due to super high arches, a lot of running in past, and Zel. At times felt like I was walking on diamond shaped stones barefooted. After trying many Drs. and many medicines sleeping pills that allowed me to lay on my back with legs on a couple pillows to relieve swelling of feet seemed to help the most.
                                                    Nurses from Zel might have better answers as they seem to hear everyone’s problems.
                                                    Bruce Davis
                                                    Participant
                                                      Karen,
                                                    jmmm
                                                    Participant
                                                      Is she on a full dose? It sounds like she may need to reduce the dose if she’s having that bad of side effects. Many patients are on 2 or 3 pills twice a day instead of the full 4 twice a day. It helps reduce the side effects and still works. My husband has been on 3 twice a day for 14 months and is still responding. The side effects were bad with the full dose.
                                                      jmmm
                                                      Participant
                                                        Josh
                                                        Participant

I don't know, Dude,

I too used to be someone who totally resisted pain meds. For basically all of my life, I chose to suffer with headaches or whatever rather than taking any sort of pill. I wasn't trying to be stoic, nor was I particularly tough, I just always felt like it was healthier and someway better to not put weird things into my body. This cancer sh_t, however, is a different story. I'm currently on either some Advil everyday, or perhaps an Alleve or two. And hell, when I'm feeling wild and sassy, I even pop half a Persocet. The fact is, life is no longer what it was. I can't be that person who resists pain medication anymore unless I want to be in pain all the time. Beyond the fact that being in constant pain turns me into a dickhole, as most doctors and nurses will tell you, it's simply counter-productive to healing. I still don't think it's great to put chemicals into my body, but neither is radiation good, or chemotherapy, or any of the crud we use to fight off this disease. But the fact remains that we need it. My advice is to tell your sister that once she's NED, she can refuse to take anything she wants, but at this point, she needs to give herself a break and understand that alleviating her pain is part of her treatment and is something that will help her to eventually become healthy.

Best of luck!

Josh

Josh
                                                          Participant

I don't know, Dude,

I too used to be someone who totally resisted pain meds. For basically all of my life, I chose to suffer with headaches or whatever rather than taking any sort of pill. I wasn't trying to be stoic, nor was I particularly tough, I just always felt like it was healthier and someway better to not put weird things into my body. This cancer sh_t, however, is a different story. I'm currently on either some Advil everyday, or perhaps an Alleve or two. And hell, when I'm feeling wild and sassy, I even pop half a Persocet. The fact is, life is no longer what it was. I can't be that person who resists pain medication anymore unless I want to be in pain all the time. Beyond the fact that being in constant pain turns me into a dickhole, as most doctors and nurses will tell you, it's simply counter-productive to healing. I still don't think it's great to put chemicals into my body, but neither is radiation good, or chemotherapy, or any of the crud we use to fight off this disease. But the fact remains that we need it. My advice is to tell your sister that once she's NED, she can refuse to take anything she wants, but at this point, she needs to give herself a break and understand that alleviating her pain is part of her treatment and is something that will help her to eventually become healthy.

Best of luck!

Josh

Josh
                                                            Participant

I don't know, Dude,

Best of luck!

Josh

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics